Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: Be there a "remote diff" utility?
       [not found]   ` <20240516073351.267351FAE3@orac.inputplus.co.uk>
@ 2024-05-16 11:51     ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2024-05-16 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

The Newcastle Connection, aka Unix United, was an early experiment in
transparent networking: see <
https://web.archive.org/web/20160816184205/http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/research/pubs/articles/papers/399.pdf>
for a high-level description.  A name of the form "/../host/path"
represented a file or device on a remote host in a fully transparent way.
This was layered on V7 at the libc level, so that the kernel did not need
to be modified (though the shell did, since it was not libc-based at the
time).  MUNIX was an implementation of the same idea using System V as the
underlying system.

This appears to be a VHS vs. Betamax battle: NFS was not transparent, but
Sun had far more marketing clout.  However, the Manchester Connection
required a single uid space (as far as I can tell), which may also have
been a (perceived) institutional barrier.

@ 2024-05-16 13:45       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2024-05-16 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Cowan; +Cc: coff

On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 7:51 AM John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> wrote:
> [snip]
> This appears to be a VHS vs. Betamax battle: NFS was not transparent, but Sun had far more marketing clout.  However, the Manchester Connection required a single uid space (as far as I can tell), which may also have been a (perceived) institutional barrier.

So did NFS, for that matter.

This is one of those areas where Unix appears creaky in comparison to
Plan 9. `ssh` is all about remote access to resources, whereas plan 9
was all about resource sharing: you'd set up a namespace with all of
the resources (exposed as files from wherever they ultimately came
from) you cared about, and then operate on those "locally"; the
resources were shared with you and access was transparent, via a
consistent, file-based interface. You want to `diff` two remote files?
Import the filesystems they're both on, mount those somewhere, and
`diff /n/host1/file /n/host2/file`.

I think the `sshfs`+FUSE model that Doug mentioned is about the
closest you're going to get these days.

        - Dan C.

        - Dan C.

* [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: Be there a "remote diff" utility?
@ 2024-05-16 14:03         ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2024-05-16 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: John Cowan, coff

On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 09:45:38AM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 7:51???AM John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > This appears to be a VHS vs. Betamax battle: NFS was not transparent, but Sun had far more marketing clout.  However, the Manchester Connection required a single uid space (as far as I can tell), which may also have been a (perceived) institutional barrier.
>
> So did NFS, for that matter.
>
> This is one of those areas where Unix appears creaky in comparison to
> Plan 9. `ssh` is all about remote access to resources, whereas plan 9
> was all about resource sharing: you'd set up a namespace with all of
> the resources (exposed as files from wherever they ultimately came
> from) you cared about, and then operate on those "locally"; the
> resources were shared with you and access was transparent, via a
> consistent, file-based interface. You want to `diff` two remote files?
> Import the filesystems they're both on, mount those somewhere, and
> `diff /n/host1/file /n/host2/file`.

If you are all trusting, behind a firewall, like the Sun campus was:

diff /net/host1/file /net/host2/file

Seems pretty darn similar and you don't set up a namespace other than
saying what you want to share in /etc/exports.

Seems far from creaky to me, no root access required (other than setting
up /etc/exports), any user can access any exported file.  I was at Sun
and it worked great.  Granted, you needed a working NFS implementation
and when I left Sun I found that Sun was really the only place that got
that right in the 1990's.  Linux has caught up, don't know about the
rest.

--lm

* [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: Be there a "remote diff" utility?
@ 2024-05-16 14:43         ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2024-05-16 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: coff

NFS v4 provides idmapping between client uids/gids and their server
equivalents using a config file.

@ 2024-05-16 14:49           ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2024-05-16 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Cowan; +Cc: coff

On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 10:44 AM John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> wrote:
> NFS v4 provides idmapping between client uids/gids and their server equivalents using a config file.

NFS v4 came much later, of course. But even earlier NFS
implementations provided something like this, and UID 0 has been
mapped to "nobody" for many decades. But that's not terribly relevant;
the point is that, by default, the NFS protocol relies on UIDs having
meaning, as opposed to properly authenticated principles independent
of the underlying implementation of "identity", as in e.g. AFS. To be
fair, it's my understanding that NFSv4 _does_ improve on the situation
here.

        - Dan C.