* 2003-04-01 / gnus-cache-enter-article vs. "offline articles"
@ 2003-04-01 21:15 Jochen_Hayek
From: Jochen_Hayek @ 2003-04-01 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, everybody,

if I cache an article on an NNTP server using gnus-cache-enter-article,
I obviously do have this article on my local disc,
at least something "somehow local".

But for viewing these local articles,
I still have to go online,
as for entering the respective group being online is necessary, right?

---------- end of short version ----------

---------- start of long version ----------

I mean, maybe most of you don't have difficulties getting online,
but I work about 12 hours a day behind a firewall,
and the only but costly way of getting online (unhindered)
would be through a mobile phone and GPRS ("predecessor" of UMTS).
Oh, oh! Expensive, I tell you!!

So for "getting online" I have to dig through the proxy using transconnect
and then build a tunnel using ssh.

This does enforce *some* kind of effort, I tell you.

So I prefer to be able to view the articles,
that I have cached "locally" w/o being "really online".

* Re: 2003-04-01 / gnus-cache-enter-article vs. "offline articles"
@ 2003-04-02 13:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-02 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen_Hayek@ACM.org writes:

> if I cache an article on an NNTP server using gnus-cache-enter-article,
> I obviously do have this article on my local disc,
> at least something "somehow local".
>
> But for viewing these local articles,
> I still have to go online,
> as for entering the respective group being online is necessary, right?

Yeah.  It's unfortunate.  I think that there are plans to change the
Agent so that it looks at cached articles in addition to the
downloaded ones.  So you could just go offline and enter the group at
that point.

But it seems that what you want is to use the Agent, instead of the
cache, to work offline.

(Currently, I think it works to enter a group, then use `Y c', to see
cached articles while offline (unplugged).)