* 2003-04-01 / gnus-cache-enter-article vs. "offline articles"
@ 2003-04-01 21:15 Jochen_Hayek
From: Jochen_Hayek @ 2003-04-01 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, everybody,

if I cache an article on an NNTP server using gnus-cache-enter-article,
I obviously do have this article on my local disc,
at least something "somehow local".

But for viewing these local articles,
I still have to go online,
as for entering the respective group being online is necessary, right?

---------- end of short version ----------

---------- start of long version ----------

I mean, maybe most of you don't have difficulties getting online,
but I work about 12 hours a day behind a firewall,
and the only but costly way of getting online (unhindered)
would be through a mobile phone and GPRS ("predecessor" of UMTS).
Oh, oh! Expensive, I tell you!!

So for "getting online" I have to dig through the proxy using transconnect
and then build a tunnel using ssh.

This does enforce *some* kind of effort, I tell you.

So I prefer to be able to view the articles,
that I have cached "locally" w/o being "really online".