* authentication method fails
@ 2019-04-21  1:49 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-04-21  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I got an e-mail saying the traditional Gnus
setup with `gnus-select-method' and
`gnus-secondary-select-methods' does
not work for certain mail servers.

    Sadly, it's not working. I tried this a few
    times before and the error message
    indicates, that my mail server does not
    support the authentication method:

        Couldn't send message via news: 441 You need a
        valid email address to post: Invalid response from
        SMTP server mx01.emig.kundenserver.de:
        554-kundenserver.de (mxeue112) Nemesis ESMTP
        Service not available.

    (the mail address i am using is an
    @online.de)

I don't know nothing about online.de but
I never heard of anyone having this issue
before? Is it common, and is there
a workaround?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: authentication method fails
@ 2019-05-02 22:42           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-05-02 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Florian Weimer wrote:

> This doesn't add up. The error message
> suggests that the Gnus mail setup is
> incorrect. That's not really related to
> Gmane; I'd expect that sending any mail would
> fail under these circumstances.

[EB: Got this as mail from they guy]

Here is a minimal configuration of .gnus and
.emacs. Passwords are stored in .authinfo and
it is possible to send mails but it is not
possible to authenticate against Gmane
(attached is an error message with this setup):

[EB: The error message says: Couldn't send
     message via news: 441. You need a valid
     email address to post: Invalid response
     from STMP server ... : ... (...) Nemesis
     ESMTP Service not available]

; .gnus
; (email and username have been replaced with placeholders)
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
(setq
  smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.1und1.de"
  smtpmail-smtp-service 587
  user-mail-address "mail@address"
      user-full-name "my name")

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("mail.gnus" "Subject:.*gnus.*")
        ("mail" "")))

(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "pop.1und1.de"
             :port 995
             :user "mail@address"
             :stream ssl)))

; .emacs
(custom-set-variables
  '(send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it)))

--

@ 2019-04-28 22:16           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-04-28 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Florian Weimer wrote:

>> I got a mail where he wrote:
>>
>>     I've checked gmane authentication with
>>     another account and it works there.
>>     To sum it up: the authentication fails
>>     because my mail provider doesn't support
>>     (or don't want to support) the
>>     authentication method that is used by
>>     gmane. I haven't looked into the
>>     technical details; i guess some newer
>>     ESMTP command is not allowed on the
>>     SMTP server.
>>
>> Hm... is that one or two reasons why it
>> doesn't work?
>
> This doesn't add up. The error message
> suggests that the Gnus mail setup is
> incorrect. That's not really related to
> Gmane; I'd expect that sending any mail would
> fail under these circumstances.

Alright, in what way do you suspect Gnus mail
is incorrectly setup?

Or, do you, or anyone else, have a "minimal
working Gnus setup", for him to try?

He writes that "I've checked Gmane
authentication with another account and it
works there". To me, that sounds like he used
the same setup, only changed the "account" or
e-mail, but obviously I can't know for sure.

--

@ 2019-04-28 20:44         ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2019-04-28 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

* Emanuel Berg:

@ 2019-04-27 23:56       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-04-27 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

@ 2019-04-24 19:44       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-04-24 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Florian Weimer wrote:

> Wasn't the message injected over Gmane,
> via NNTP?

OK, see your point.

>> I set the SMTP port
>> (`smtpmail-smtp-service') to 587 witch is
>> the one for starttls, if that's what
>> you mean?
>
> There are no Received: headers in your
> message which indicate how authentication was
> performed, if it was even submitted
> over SMTP.
>
> It's common to use network boundary
> authentication for SMTP, so on some networks,
> no configuration is necessary to use the
> smarthosts for that network. The 1&1 mail
> servers are not in this category, at least
> not for customers on external networks.

OK, I CC this to him, perhaps this is
the reason.

--