Gnus development mailing list
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying
@ 2021-04-20 20:18 Wayne Harris
  2021-04-20 21:08 ` Andreas Schwab
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Wayne Harris @ 2021-04-20 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I opened a message today and I saw this line break on the first line:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Path:
aioe.org!.POSTED.lXANPjViPmedgxxfcNv0Sw.user.gioia.aioe.org!not-for-mail
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

See this image for a proof:
  https://imgur.com/fW5eZst

The source is not like that.  I said ``C-u g'' and saw the line was
broken.  What part of Gnus source code deals with the display of the
message in the article buffer?

There's another imperfection I've been meaning to propose as a fix which
is about the cut-here marks when displayed by Gnus in the article bufer.
After the cut-here-end mark, there's an extra newline being displayed,
which doesn't appear in the source message.  I'd say that's a cosmetic
bug.  I don't think the author intended for that to happen.  So I could
maybe tackle that as well --- at least as a proposal.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying
  2021-04-20 20:18 on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying Wayne Harris
@ 2021-04-20 21:08 ` Andreas Schwab
  2021-04-20 21:36   ` Wayne Harris
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2021-04-20 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne Harris; +Cc: ding

On Apr 20 2021, Wayne Harris wrote:

> I opened a message today and I saw this line break on the first line:
>
> Path:
> aioe.org!.POSTED.lXANPjViPmedgxxfcNv0Sw.user.gioia.aioe.org!not-for-mail
>
> See this image for a proof:
>   https://imgur.com/fW5eZst
>
> The source is not like that.  I said ``C-u g'' and saw the line was
> broken.  What part of Gnus source code deals with the display of the
> message in the article buffer?

Do you have visual-line-mode enabled?

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1
"And now for something completely different."


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying
  2021-04-20 21:08 ` Andreas Schwab
@ 2021-04-20 21:36   ` Wayne Harris
  2021-04-21  2:43     ` Byung-Hee HWANG
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Wayne Harris @ 2021-04-20 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> On Apr 20 2021, Wayne Harris wrote:
>
>> I opened a message today and I saw this line break on the first line:
>>
>> Path:
>> aioe.org!.POSTED.lXANPjViPmedgxxfcNv0Sw.user.gioia.aioe.org!not-for-mail
>>
>> See this image for a proof:
>>   https://imgur.com/fW5eZst
>>
>> The source is not like that.  I said ``C-u g'' and saw the line was
>> broken.  What part of Gnus source code deals with the display of the
>> message in the article buffer?
>
> Do you have visual-line-mode enabled?

I don't know how to check whether visual-line-mode is enabled in the
article buffer.  I just checked the help and I see you're thinking: if
it's enabled, word-wrap will be true and that would explain the problem.
If that's the case, I can probably find out.  More soon!  Thanks!



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying
  2021-04-20 21:36   ` Wayne Harris
@ 2021-04-21  2:43     ` Byung-Hee HWANG
  2021-04-21 12:18       ` Wayne Harris
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2021-04-21  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Gnus

Hellow Wayne ^^^

>> Do you have visual-line-mode enabled?
>
> I don't know how to check whether visual-line-mode is enabled in the
> article buffer.  ...

It's easy to check. Just type as "C-h v".
In my case, its value is nil.

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

-- 
^고맙습니다 _和合團結_ 감사합니다_^))//


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying
  2021-04-21  2:43     ` Byung-Hee HWANG
@ 2021-04-21 12:18       ` Wayne Harris
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Wayne Harris @ 2021-04-21 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Byung-Hee HWANG <soyeomul@doraji.xyz> writes:

> Hellow Wayne ^^^
>
>>> Do you have visual-line-mode enabled?
>>
>> I don't know how to check whether visual-line-mode is enabled in the
>> article buffer.  ...
>
> It's easy to check. Just type as "C-h v".
> In my case, its value is nil.

Thank you!  It turns out it's nil now, but then when I look at the
message again, it's not breaking that line again.  So I think you've
spotted it right --- for some reason visual-line-mode was one when I saw
that message.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-04-21 12:19 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-04-20 20:18 on finding the code for Gnus' article displaying Wayne Harris
2021-04-20 21:08 ` Andreas Schwab
2021-04-20 21:36   ` Wayne Harris
2021-04-21  2:43     ` Byung-Hee HWANG
2021-04-21 12:18       ` Wayne Harris

Gnus development mailing list

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/ding

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V1 ding ding/ http://inbox.vuxu.org/ding \
		ding@inbox.vuxu.org
	public-inbox-index ding

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.emacs.gnus.general


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git