* Gnus on dial-up Windows
@ 2003-03-21 13:42 Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-03-21 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unfortunately, I will have to read mail from a dial-up Windows 2000 box.
Sometimes I will connect to the Net, get (i.e. POP3) and send (SMTP) the
mail and disconnect.

Well, let's assume, I have a program, which I can call withing emacs and
it does the connection and disconnection processes. But what to do in
between of calls to it? Would someone recommend some setup [1]?

First, is the outgoing mail. feedmail? The agent? Whatever else?

Second, the incoming mail. I don't want Gnus to try checking mail, when
offline. Is it OK, if mail-sources is set to nil, but upon the delivery
process I'll (let ...) it to the pop3 server and call
gnus-group-get-new-news? Or is there a better way?

[1] Yes, I know and prefer, whereas possible, the fetchmail and MTA
queue combo. But, I'm afraid, it's not possible there.

--
       I accept RFC3156 and RFC1991-compatible encrypted mail.
PGP key fingerprint: 123A 7CCE 6E26 6233 0D87 E01A A0F8 3524 FCD8 1841

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Gnus on dial-up Windows
@ 2003-03-21 14:05 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-03-21 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

deskpot@myrealbox.com (Vasily Korytov) writes:

> Unfortunately, I will have to read mail from a dial-up Windows 2000 box.
> Sometimes I will connect to the Net, get (i.e. POP3) and send (SMTP) the
> mail and disconnect.

I strongly advice you to have a look at the program Hamster, it's a
local news- and mailserver for Windows. You install it, tell him from
which pop servers it should retrieve mail and from which nntp-Servers
it should retrieve which groups, then you tell Gnus to read news from
localhost, read mail via pop3 from localhost, too and send mail via
smtp to localhost.

From the point of view of Gnus you are now always connected, if you are
really connected you tell Hamster to get/send mail and news. This is
the setup I use, too BTW.

You can get Hamster (it's free, open-source software) from
http://www.tglsoft.de/ if you've got problems regarding the program,
there's the Usenet hierarchy hamster.* (People speak German in
hamster.!en but English in hamster.en.*)

MFG Frank

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: Gnus on dial-up Windows
@ 2003-03-21 14:38   ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-03-21 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 21 Mar 2003, Frank Schmitt wrote:

> I strongly advice you to have a look at the program Hamster, it's a
> local news- and mailserver for Windows. You install it, tell him from
> which pop servers it should retrieve mail and from which nntp-Servers
> it should retrieve which groups, then you tell Gnus to read news from
> localhost, read mail via pop3 from localhost, too and send mail via
> smtp to localhost.

Thanks. =)) I'll definitely look at it.

--

@ 2003-03-21 15:04 ` Jochen Küpper