* imap splitting to mail.misc?
@ 2013-07-02  8:21 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-07-02  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm still working through the transition to imap...

One thing about imap splitting is confusing me: many messages are
getting split to a "mail.misc" group, when I have no such group in any
of my split methods. Apparently it's a default split target, but
messages seem to be going there semi-randomly for different accounts.
For some accounts, *all* of the messages that aren't split-matched end
up there, for others only some. All account servers have something like
this:

(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
(nnimap-split-methods bbdb/gnus-split-method))

and then later in .gnus.el:

(setq bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function 'nnimap-split-fancy)

And:

(setq nnimap-split-fancy `(|
                           ; many splits
			   "INBOX"))

I've also tried removing bbdb/gnus-split-method and setting it to
nnimap-split-fancy directly, with the same results.

I assume "mail.misc" is some sort of universal default, but with the
above settings no mail should end up there, should it?

And is it actually a mistake to leave anything in INBOX? Or rather, a
mistake to split things *back* into the INBOX? Maybe I should be making
myself a separate box and splitting all unmatched messages into that?
But I would still have to assume that some messages would end up in
"mail.misc", as they do now...

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: imap splitting to mail.misc?
@ 2013-07-02 10:45 ` Enrico Schumann
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Enrico Schumann @ 2013-07-02 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

[...]

> And is it actually a mistake to leave anything in INBOX? Or rather, a
> mistake to split things *back* into the INBOX? Maybe I should be making
> myself a separate box and splitting all unmatched messages into that?
> But I would still have to assume that some messages would end up in
> "mail.misc", as they do now...

Hm, I don't use nnimap-split-fancy, but nnimap-split-rule. Then you
don't need a 'catch-all' split rule.  From the manual:

  "Nnmail users might recollect that the last regexp had to be empty to
   match all articles [...]. This is not required in nnimap. Articles
   not matching any of the regexps will not be moved out of your inbox."

But that does not explain where "mail.misc" comes from....

Regards,
        Enrico

--
Enrico Schumann
Lucerne, Switzerland

* Re: imap splitting to mail.misc?
@ 2013-07-03  4:58   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-07-03  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Enrico Schumann <es@enricoschumann.net> writes:

> On Tue, 02 Jul 2013, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>

> [...]
>

>> And is it actually a mistake to leave anything in INBOX? Or rather, a
>> mistake to split things *back* into the INBOX? Maybe I should be making
>> myself a separate box and splitting all unmatched messages into that?
>> But I would still have to assume that some messages would end up in
>> "mail.misc", as they do now...
>>

> Hm, I don't use nnimap-split-fancy, but nnimap-split-rule. Then you
> don't need a 'catch-all' split rule.  From the manual:
>
>   "Nnmail users might recollect that the last regexp had to be empty to
>    match all articles [...]. This is not required in nnimap. Articles
>    not matching any of the regexps will not be moved out of your inbox."
>
> But that does not explain where "mail.misc" comes from....
>
> Regards,
>         Enrico

Thanks! I don't think `nnimap-split-rule' exists any more in the newer
versions, there's just `nnimap-split-methods' (the docstring of which
doesn't mention the final empty regex issue), and `nnimap-split-fancy'.

I tried taking off the default "INBOX" split in my nnimap-split-fancy,
and resplitting. The result was just the same: about a third of the
messages went into "mail.misc". I did notice this time that the ones
that _stayed_ in the INBOX were all mailing-list messages, with subjects
that generally included a "[some-list-name]" string in them.

That's only true for one of several accounts, though. The others show
no pattern that I can see.

Curious!

* Re: imap splitting to mail.misc?
@ 2013-07-03 10:24   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-07-03 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Enrico Schumann <es@enricoschumann.net> writes:

> On Tue, 02 Jul 2013, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>

> [...]
>

>> And is it actually a mistake to leave anything in INBOX? Or rather, a
>> mistake to split things *back* into the INBOX? Maybe I should be making
>> myself a separate box and splitting all unmatched messages into that?
>> But I would still have to assume that some messages would end up in
>> "mail.misc", as they do now...
>>

> Hm, I don't use nnimap-split-fancy, but nnimap-split-rule. Then you
> don't need a 'catch-all' split rule.  From the manual:
>
>   "Nnmail users might recollect that the last regexp had to be empty to
>    match all articles [...]. This is not required in nnimap. Articles
>    not matching any of the regexps will not be moved out of your inbox."
>
> But that does not explain where "mail.misc" comes from....

The more I look at this, the more I think it must come from
`nnmail-split-methods', which defaults to (("mail.misc" "")). The code
for mail splitting in nnimap seems woven in on top of the nnmail code,
and I think an abstraction might be leaking.

The `gnus-summary-respool-*' commands are actually wired to only work
for nnmail. If you call them in an nnimap group they'll either break, or
happily report "this mail would be moved to 'mail.misc'." I can imagine
an ideal future where I'd have the time to learn how everything works
here and fix it properly, but in the meantime it might be nice just to
short-circuit those functions and error out -- "respooling does not work
in nnimap groups".

Who's in charge here?! Can I break this?

@ 2013-07-07  3:54   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-07-07  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Enrico Schumann <es@enricoschumann.net> writes:

> On Tue, 02 Jul 2013, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>

> [...]
>

>> And is it actually a mistake to leave anything in INBOX? Or rather, a
>> mistake to split things *back* into the INBOX? Maybe I should be making
>> myself a separate box and splitting all unmatched messages into that?
>> But I would still have to assume that some messages would end up in
>> "mail.misc", as they do now...
>>

> Hm, I don't use nnimap-split-fancy, but nnimap-split-rule. Then you
> don't need a 'catch-all' split rule.  From the manual:
>
>   "Nnmail users might recollect that the last regexp had to be empty to
>    match all articles [...]. This is not required in nnimap. Articles
>    not matching any of the regexps will not be moved out of your inbox."
>
> But that does not explain where "mail.misc" comes from....
>
> Regards,
>         Enrico

With a little help off-list, I think I've figured it out. I've been
using bbdb/gnus-split-method, both with nnmail and nnimap. It appears
that, with nnimap, the value of bbdb/gnus-split-default-group comes into
play. That defaults to "mail.misc", and switching it to "INBOX" solved
the problem.

Why it was putting some messages into "mail.misc" and leaving others in
"INBOX" is a different mystery.