* imap splitting to mail.misc?
@ 2013-07-02  8:21 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-07-02  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm still working through the transition to imap...

One thing about imap splitting is confusing me: many messages are
getting split to a "mail.misc" group, when I have no such group in any
of my split methods. Apparently it's a default split target, but
messages seem to be going there semi-randomly for different accounts.
For some accounts, *all* of the messages that aren't split-matched end
up there, for others only some. All account servers have something like
this:

(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
(nnimap-split-methods bbdb/gnus-split-method))

and then later in .gnus.el:

(setq bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function 'nnimap-split-fancy)

And:

(setq nnimap-split-fancy `(|
                           ; many splits
			   "INBOX"))

I've also tried removing bbdb/gnus-split-method and setting it to
nnimap-split-fancy directly, with the same results.

I assume "mail.misc" is some sort of universal default, but with the
above settings no mail should end up there, should it?

And is it actually a mistake to leave anything in INBOX? Or rather, a
mistake to split things *back* into the INBOX? Maybe I should be making
myself a separate box and splitting all unmatched messages into that?
But I would still have to assume that some messages would end up in
"mail.misc", as they do now...

Thanks,
Eric