* Incorrect charset decoding in random articles...
@ 2001-12-18  1:15 Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-12-18  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

A while ago on the list various people including myself encountered a
problem where Gnus would mis-detect the character set of various
messages.

Anything forwarded as a message/rfc822 attachment or inline seems to
trigger this, as do various messages at random.

The problem is that the article is decoded as some far east character
set, presenting as a mixed collection of ideograms[1] and '?'
characters.

Some but not all of the articles seemed to have broken[2] charset
specification, such as 'charset=us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf8'

Others, though, had no MIME detail at all or they had a correct charset
specification.

I can't remember what the solution at the time was, though I believe a
code change was involved. Maybe Simon Josefsson did it? My memories are
hazy as it was over three months ago.

Anyway, I tried searching the list archives and my local one but didn't
find the details I was looking for.

I am running "21.5  (beta3) \"asparagus\" XEmacs Lucid"
on Linux inanna 2.4.15-pre5 #1 Sat Nov 17 01:38:23 EST 2001 i686 unknown

I can forward a selection of the mis-displayed messages in addition to
the attached one if you wish.

[-- Attachment #2: broken.mail.bz2 --]

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Is this the right term? My brain has seized up this morning...

[2]  At the very least, unfamiliar to me from reading the MIME specs.

--
It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's
not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the

* Re: Incorrect charset decoding in random articles...
@ 2001-12-19  6:18 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-12-19  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

[...]

> I can forward a selection of the mis-displayed messages in addition to
> the attached one if you wish.

The message looks fine for me.

ShengHuo

* Re: Incorrect charset decoding in random articles...
@ 2001-12-20  4:19   ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-12-20  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> I can forward a selection of the mis-displayed messages in addition
>> to the attached one if you wish.
>
> The message looks fine for me.

Rats. That's not the answer I wanted. The only thing that I changed was
my Gnus version, AFAIK, so maybe I will go hunting for when it works.

OTOH, it's seems not to be happening at the moment. Maybe I have not hit
it or maybe it's stopped. *sigh*

Thanks anyway,
       Daniel

--