* mail/post forwarding now has an option to forward all original headers
@ 2023-12-12 18:05 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-12-12 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

Just FYI, I've just added a symblic-prefix option ('a) to
`gnus-summary-mail-forward' and `gnus-summary-post-forward', which
temporarily sets `message-forward-included-headers' to nil.

The effect of that is that nearly all the original headers in the
original message is included in the forward message. The option
`message-forward-ignored-headers' is still honored, however, which
hopefully will usually be the right behavior.

Use the symbolic prefix with "M-i a" before "C-c C-f".

Let me know if anything seems wrong there.

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: mail/post forwarding now has an option to forward all original headers
@ 2023-12-12 18:37 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-12-12 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Just FYI, I've just added a symblic-prefix option ('a) to
> `gnus-summary-mail-forward' and `gnus-summary-post-forward',
> which temporarily sets `message-forward-included-headers'
> to nil.

Maybe related,

People have sometimes been annoyed I don't keep the e-mails in
a CC when I reply on mailing lists, I have never understood
why this doesn't happen. Like in this case, I suppose these

  <eric@ ... net>
  <ding@ ... org>

should appear in the CC? But the only headers I see after
`gnus-article-followup-with-original' are

Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
Subject: Re: mail/post forwarding now has an option to forward all original headers
From: Emanuel Berg <incal@ ... org>
Gcc: nnml:mail.sent

I have `message-forward-ignored-headers' at its original
value, and also tried `message-forward-included-headers' both
at its original value and now nil, inspired by this post.

But I still don't get the CC thing.

Ideas?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: mail/post forwarding now has an option to forward all original headers
@ 2023-12-13 20:41   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-12-13 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> Just FYI, I've just added a symblic-prefix option ('a) to
>> `gnus-summary-mail-forward' and `gnus-summary-post-forward',
>> which temporarily sets `message-forward-included-headers'
>> to nil.
>
> Maybe related,
>
> People have sometimes been annoyed I don't keep the e-mails in
> a CC when I reply on mailing lists, I have never understood
> why this doesn't happen. Like in this case, I suppose these
>
>   <eric@ ... net>
>   <ding@ ... org>
>
> should appear in the CC? But the only headers I see after
> `gnus-article-followup-with-original' are
>
> Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
> Subject: Re: mail/post forwarding now has an option to forward all original headers
> From: Emanuel Berg <incal@ ... org>
> Gcc: nnml:mail.sent
>
> I have `message-forward-ignored-headers' at its original
> value, and also tried `message-forward-included-headers' both
> at its original value and now nil, inspired by this post.

This has to do with replies, not forwarding. This stuff is governed by
the "wideness" of the reply, not the headers. The "wider" you make the
replies/followups (see the names of the commands), the more addresses
will get included into the outgoing reply.

* Re: mail/post forwarding now has an option to forward all original headers
@ 2023-12-14 10:45     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-12-14 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>>> Just FYI, I've just added a symblic-prefix option ('a) to
>>> `gnus-summary-mail-forward' and
>>> `gnus-summary-post-forward', which temporarily sets
>>> `message-forward-included-headers' to nil.
>>
>> Maybe related,
>>
>> People have sometimes been annoyed I don't keep the e-mails
>> in a CC when I reply on mailing lists, I have never
>> understood why this doesn't happen. Like in this case,
>> I suppose these
>>
>>   <eric@ ... net>
>>   <ding@ ... org>
>>
>> should appear in the CC? But the only headers I see after
>> `gnus-article-followup-with-original' are
>>
>> Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
>> Subject: Re: mail/post forwarding now has an option to
>> forward all original headers
>> From: Emanuel Berg <incal@ ... org>
>> Gcc: nnml:mail.sent
>>
>> I have `message-forward-ignored-headers' at its original
>> value, and also tried `message-forward-included-headers'
>> both at its original value and now nil, inspired by
>> this post.
>
> This has to do with replies, not forwarding. This stuff is
> governed by the "wideness" of the reply, not the headers.

I use `gnus-article-followup-with-original', should you use
something else?

--

@ 2023-12-14 13:09   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2023-12-14 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

It's probably due to Eric's post having "Mail-Followup-To" set to the
list so any reply will not include him?
--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-07-11) on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: mail/post forwarding now has an option to forward all original headers
@ 2023-12-15  1:42       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-12-15  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> Maybe related,
>>>
>>> People have sometimes been annoyed I don't keep the e-mails
>>> in a CC when I reply on mailing lists, I have never
>>> understood why this doesn't happen. Like in this case,
>>> I suppose these
>>>
>>>   <eric@ ... net>
>>>   <ding@ ... org>
>>>
>>> should appear in the CC? But the only headers I see after
>>> `gnus-article-followup-with-original' are
>>>
>>> Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
>>> Subject: Re: mail/post forwarding now has an option to
>>> forward all original headers
>>> From: Emanuel Berg <incal@ ... org>
>>> Gcc: nnml:mail.sent
>>>
>>> I have `message-forward-ignored-headers' at its original
>>> value, and also tried `message-forward-included-headers'
>>> both at its original value and now nil, inspired by
>>> this post.
>>
>> This has to do with replies, not forwarding. This stuff is
>> governed by the "wideness" of the reply, not the headers.
>
> I use `gnus-article-followup-with-original', should you use
> something else?

When you reply via newsgroup posting (which is implied by the
"followup"), then headers don't come into play, only the "newsgroups"
header, and the message is sent via NNTP to those groups. There's no CC
to anybody else.

If you reply via mail, then you will send an email to everyone in the
To/CC/BCC headers, and there's where you'll see commands with "reply"
and "(very) wide" in the name.

It only gets a bit confusing because if you reply to an article that
originally arrived via NNTP, often the email goes to an email address
that can transport the message over to the NNTP newsgroup, so it looks
like you did both a followup (to the group) and a reply (to individual
posters). The whole thing gets a little strange.

* Re: mail/post forwarding now has an option to forward all original headers
@ 2023-12-17 17:19         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-12-17 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>> I use `gnus-article-followup-with-original', should you use
>> something else?
>
> When you reply via newsgroup posting (which is implied by
> the "followup"), then headers don't come into play, only the
> "newsgroups" header, and the message is sent via NNTP to
> those groups. There's no CC to anybody else.

Ah, that's the reason, mystery solved.

> If you reply via mail, then you will send an email to
> everyone in the To/CC/BCC headers, and there's where you'll
> see commands with "reply" and "(very) wide" in the name.
>
> It only gets a bit confusing because if you reply to an
> article that originally arrived via NNTP, often the email
> goes to an email address that can transport the message over
> to the NNTP newsgroup, so it looks like you did both
> a followup (to the group) and a reply (to individual
> posters). The whole thing gets a little strange.

Yes, I put it there manually this time. I don't do
that usually.

Now that this little issue makes sense, I don't think there is
a need to do anything about it. Let it be.