* Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 13:09 Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2011-03-30 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dear list.,

Noob here. I have been following the list silently for couple months. I
still haven't able to make minimum setup to read my mail. By now, I am
reading only news from gmane with Gnus with less than 10 lines in
.gnus.el. It is tough to learn from others ".gnus.el" in contrast to ".emacs"

One of the other list I am following is orgmode. I could at least get
familiar with internal parts of org. Org has a very good website and as
you all might know Worg written by the community, is fantastic, many
tutorials which are helping me a lot to get start with different parts.

So I think it would be great to have such a system for Gnus as well to
open the doors to newcomers, given the fact that different backends,
that complex terminology, and networking stuff make people scare off.

Thanks
--
yagnesh

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 13:34 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-30 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:09:55 +0900 Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> wrote:

YRY> One of the other list I am following is orgmode. I could at least get
YRY> familiar with internal parts of org. Org has a very good website and as
YRY> you all might know Worg written by the community, is fantastic, many
YRY> tutorials which are helping me a lot to get start with different parts.

YRY> So I think it would be great to have such a system for Gnus as well to
YRY> open the doors to newcomers, given the fact that different backends,
YRY> that complex terminology, and networking stuff make people scare off.

I think it's better to wait for Cloudy Gnus before mounting this kind of
effort.  It is very likely to materially change backend subscriptions,
marks, and the other things that currently make configuring Gnus hard;
tutorials and docs would have to be rebased and that's a lot of work.

Ted

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 17:32   ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-03-30 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:09:55 +0900 Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> wrote:
>
> YRY> One of the other list I am following is orgmode. I could at least get
> YRY> familiar with internal parts of org. Org has a very good website and as
> YRY> you all might know Worg written by the community, is fantastic, many
> YRY> tutorials which are helping me a lot to get start with different parts.
>
> YRY> So I think it would be great to have such a system for Gnus as well to
> YRY> open the doors to newcomers, given the fact that different backends,
> YRY> that complex terminology, and networking stuff make people scare off.
>
> I think it's better to wait for Cloudy Gnus before mounting this kind of
> effort.  It is very likely to materially change backend subscriptions,
> marks, and the other things that currently make configuring Gnus hard;
> tutorials and docs would have to be rebased and that's a lot of work.
>
> Ted

While I've been trying to keep myself as far as possible from git-gnus
(It's not for the faint hearted), it would be very much intresting to
see what will Cloudy Gnus has to offer from a feature perspective and
what old functionality is expected to break.

Eventually, at some undefined (to me, that is) time in the future, the
new Cloudy Gnus will hit the bzr emacs trunk which I follow, and thus
if something breaks, I have to be in brace-for-impact-mode.

Is there any comprehensive list of things that WILL be changed and are
expected to break in the near future with regards to the standard
functionality that is already offered by Gnus?

p.s. reading the cloudy-gnus thread a while back did not help me
understand the spirit of this effort -- noticing that I'm totally biased
for local mail.

Leonidas Tsampros

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 18:14 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-30 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:

> One of the other list I am following is orgmode. I could at least get
> familiar with internal parts of org. Org has a very good website and as
> you all might know Worg written by the community, is fantastic, many
> tutorials which are helping me a lot to get start with different parts.

It was attempted some years back with my.gnus.org, but got very little
buy-in.

So I think it would make more sense to 1) continue to make Gnus easier
to configure and 2) encourage people to add useful stuff to that Emacs
wiki.

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 18:41 ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-03-30 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: ding

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:
> Dear list.,
>
> Noob here. I have been following the list silently for couple months. I
> still haven't able to make minimum setup to read my mail. By now, I am
> reading only news from gmane with Gnus with less than 10 lines in
> .gnus.el. It is tough to learn from others ".gnus.el" in contrast to ".emacs"
>
> One of the other list I am following is orgmode. I could at least get
> familiar with internal parts of org. Org has a very good website and as
> you all might know Worg written by the community, is fantastic, many
> tutorials which are helping me a lot to get start with different parts.
>
> So I think it would be great to have such a system for Gnus as well to
> open the doors to newcomers, given the fact that different backends,
> that complex terminology, and networking stuff make people scare off.
>
> Thanks
> --
> yagnesh

Hi Yagnesh,

big portions my of setup comes directly from the EmacsWiki. I think you
can find a great bit of information wrt on how to setup Gnus on reading
and receiving mail.

I think it, boils down to answering the following questions before going
on with the task of hooking up your mail in Gnus:

1) How do you receive/read your email? Is it local or remote? (e.g. do
you currently use some combination of fetchmail/procmail or do you
prefer to read everything online using imap?)

2) If you fetchmail your stuff locally into some common format
(mbox/Maildir) from source, do you want to continue using these formats
or would you consider a migration to the nnml backend?

3) Do you need splitting/sorting to be done either on local or remote
methods?

I hope I made my point with the above. The point is NOT to setup gnus to
read email. The point is to setup gnus to read email THE WAY YOU
WANT. There is enough rope around here for everybody I think :)

p.s. my original setup was fetchmail->postfix->procmail->mbox->mua of
choice. After a few experiments, I think the following setup was the
most convenienenst to me: fetchmail->mbox->Gnus with splitting with nnml backend .

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 18:48     ` Ted Zlatanov
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-30 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:32:48 +0300 Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> wrote:

LT> While I've been trying to keep myself as far as possible from git-gnus
LT> (It's not for the faint hearted), it would be very much intresting to
LT> see what will Cloudy Gnus has to offer from a feature perspective and
LT> what old functionality is expected to break.

It's vaporware.  I want it to allow synchronizing almost everything
about Gnus to a central server (with a fallback to local storage so
everything will work as you'd expect).  I think Lars and Julien are sort
of interested in the same features but we will probably end up chewing
over this a lot once No Gnus is final.

LT> Is there any comprehensive list of things that WILL be changed and are
LT> expected to break in the near future with regards to the standard
LT> functionality that is already offered by Gnus?

No, it's vaporware :)

Ted

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 19:02       ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-03-30 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:32:48 +0300 Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> wrote:
>
> LT> While I've been trying to keep myself as far as possible from git-gnus
> LT> (It's not for the faint hearted), it would be very much intresting to
> LT> see what will Cloudy Gnus has to offer from a feature perspective and
> LT> what old functionality is expected to break.
>
> It's vaporware.  I want it to allow synchronizing almost everything
> about Gnus to a central server (with a fallback to local storage so
> everything will work as you'd expect).  I think Lars and Julien are sort
> of interested in the same features but we will probably end up chewing
> over this a lot once No Gnus is final.

That was my understanding too but I think I got a little bit lost in
translation while reading the thread.

All in all, I think that's a great idea, if for example my laptop gnus
could sync with my desktop through a tramp method once in a
while. (unison experiments were painful to put it mildly :P)

However, in order to get people test stuff, changes have to be carefully
planned and rolled out. Mail are precious to most of us. And towards
this I'm asking this one thing:

How often and when is the gnus trunk pushed to the emacs bzr trunk? (I
know that it happens, albeit I have not found any specific information
on these stuff).

Knowing the answer to the above will help me to understand which trunk
to follow, because, you know, following two different moving targets is
already complicated and prone to errors.

> LT> Is there any comprehensive list of things that WILL be changed and are
> LT> expected to break in the near future with regards to the standard
> LT> functionality that is already offered by Gnus?
>
> No, it's vaporware :)
>
> Ted

Thanks!

Leonidas

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 19:11         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-30 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:02:53 +0300 Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> wrote:

LT> However, in order to get people test stuff, changes have to be carefully
LT> planned and rolled out. Mail are precious to most of us. And towards
LT> this I'm asking this one thing:

LT> How often and when is the gnus trunk pushed to the emacs bzr trunk? (I
LT> know that it happens, albeit I have not found any specific information
LT> on these stuff).

LT> Knowing the answer to the above will help me to understand which trunk
LT> to follow, because, you know, following two different moving targets is
LT> already complicated and prone to errors.

I would strongly advise you not to follow the Gnus or Emacs trunk if you
can't stand to lose mail.  At least keep good backups if you do.

Gnus gets synchronized into Emacs when Katsumi Yamaoka does it.  There's
no schedule but he usually does it every day or two.

LT> Is there any comprehensive list of things that WILL be changed and are
LT> expected to break in the near future with regards to the standard
LT> functionality that is already offered by Gnus?

I'll try to announce such changes when I'm the cause and I think Lars
and the other developer will do the same.

Ted

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 19:32           ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-03-30 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:02:53 +0300 Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> wrote:
>
> LT> However, in order to get people test stuff, changes have to be carefully
> LT> planned and rolled out. Mail are precious to most of us. And towards
> LT> this I'm asking this one thing:
>
> LT> How often and when is the gnus trunk pushed to the emacs bzr trunk? (I
> LT> know that it happens, albeit I have not found any specific information
> LT> on these stuff).
>
> LT> Knowing the answer to the above will help me to understand which trunk
> LT> to follow, because, you know, following two different moving targets is
> LT> already complicated and prone to errors.
>
> I would strongly advise you not to follow the Gnus or Emacs trunk if you
> can't stand to lose mail.  At least keep good backups if you do.
>
> Gnus gets synchronized into Emacs when Katsumi Yamaoka does it.  There's
> no schedule but he usually does it every day or two.

Thanks for the answer!

Now follows the million dollar question: Since every now and then gnus
trunk is pushed on emacs bzr trunk, shouldn't the version as reported by
gnus-version reflect this fact? I think it's kinda misleading. Opinions?

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 20:22       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-03-30 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> It's vaporware.

"cloudware", surely...?

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 20:24       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-03-30 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> ...  I think Lars and Julien are sort of interested in the same
> features

Oh, AOL!  Definitely!

I already miss gnus-sync.el dearly. :-/

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-30 21:07             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-30 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:32:33 +0300 Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> wrote:

LT> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> I would strongly advise you not to follow the Gnus or Emacs trunk if you
>> can't stand to lose mail.  At least keep good backups if you do.
>>
>> Gnus gets synchronized into Emacs when Katsumi Yamaoka does it.  There's
>> no schedule but he usually does it every day or two.

LT> Now follows the million dollar question: Since every now and then gnus
LT> trunk is pushed on emacs bzr trunk, shouldn't the version as reported by
LT> gnus-version reflect this fact? I think it's kinda
LT> misleading. Opinions?

In the Emacs trunk `gnus-version' could incorporate the Bazaar
revision.  In the Gnus trunk IMHO it shouldn't.  But I don't have strong
feelings about this.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:22:52 +0200 Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

SB> "cloudware", surely...?

Heh, yeah.  Cue "get off of my cloud" (Rolling Stones).

SB> I already miss gnus-sync.el dearly. :-/

Yeah, it's high on my list to work on the cloudy stuff but I don't want
to start while No Gnus is still rolling.

Ted

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-03-31 15:11   ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2011-03-31 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:
>
>> One of the other list I am following is orgmode. I could at least get
>> familiar with internal parts of org. Org has a very good website and as
>> you all might know Worg written by the community, is fantastic, many
>> tutorials which are helping me a lot to get start with different parts.
>
> It was attempted some years back with my.gnus.org, but got very little
> buy-in.
I see. Seems there is no my.gnus.org now., but I found on
emacswiki.org.

> So I think it would make more sense to 1) continue to make Gnus easier
> to configure and 2) encourage people to add useful stuff to that Emacs
> wiki.

Solution 1) is great. and 2), emacswiki has been one of my frequently
visited site now a days and it is very helpful so far. But In IMHO
Emacswiki has few problems like less readability, relevance and validity
of given solutions, etc.

--

@ 2011-03-31 16:56   ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2011-03-31 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonidas Tsampros; +Cc: ding

Hi.,

>Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:
> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:
>> Dear list.,
>>
> Noob here. I have been following the list silently for couple months. I
> still haven't able to make minimum setup to read my mail. By now, I am
> reading only news from gmane with Gnus with less than 10 lines in
> .gnus.el. It is tough to learn from others ".gnus.el" in contrast to ".emacs"
>
> One of the other list I am following is orgmode. I could at least get
> familiar with internal parts of org. Org has a very good website and as
> you all might know Worg written by the community, is fantastic, many
> tutorials which are helping me a lot to get start with different parts.
>
> So I think it would be great to have such a system for Gnus as well to
> open the doors to newcomers, given the fact that different backends,
> that complex terminology, and networking stuff make people scare off.
>
> Thanks
> --
> yagnesh

> Hi Yagnesh,
>
> big portions my of setup comes directly from the EmacsWiki. I think you
> can find a great bit of information wrt on how to setup Gnus on reading
> and receiving mail.
>
> I think it, boils down to answering the following questions before going
> on with the task of hooking up your mail in Gnus:
>
> 1) How do you receive/read your email? Is it local or remote? (e.g. do
> you currently use some combination of fetchmail/procmail or do you
> prefer to read everything online using imap?)
>
> 2) If you fetchmail your stuff locally into some common format
> (mbox/Maildir) from source, do you want to continue using these formats
> or would you consider a migration to the nnml backend?
>
> 3) Do you need splitting/sorting to be done either on local or remote
> methods?
>
> I hope I made my point with the above. The point is NOT to setup gnus to
> read email. The point is to setup gnus to read email THE WAY YOU
> WANT. There is enough rope around here for everybody I think :)
>
> p.s. my original setup was fetchmail->postfix->procmail->mbox->mua of
> choice. After a few experiments, I think the following setup was the
> most convenienenst to me: fetchmail->mbox->Gnus with splitting with nnml backend .

Thanks for explanation. It clears out few questions out of many I have.
My quest is to have all my mails (from different imap/pop sources) stored
locally on my lab computer(which is up & connected Internet 24hours) and
sync(possibly with git vc) them to my laptop.

First I will tryout your convenient configuration.

Thanks

--

@ 2011-03-31 18:46     ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-03-31 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: ding

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagneshmsc@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi.,
>
>>Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:
>> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:
>>> Dear list.,
>>>
>> Noob here. I have been following the list silently for couple months. I
>> still haven't able to make minimum setup to read my mail. By now, I am
>> reading only news from gmane with Gnus with less than 10 lines in
>> .gnus.el. It is tough to learn from others ".gnus.el" in contrast to ".emacs"
>>
>> One of the other list I am following is orgmode. I could at least get
>> familiar with internal parts of org. Org has a very good website and as
>> you all might know Worg written by the community, is fantastic, many
>> tutorials which are helping me a lot to get start with different parts.
>>
>> So I think it would be great to have such a system for Gnus as well to
>> open the doors to newcomers, given the fact that different backends,
>> that complex terminology, and networking stuff make people scare off.
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> yagnesh
>
>> Hi Yagnesh,
>>
>> big portions my of setup comes directly from the EmacsWiki. I think you
>> can find a great bit of information wrt on how to setup Gnus on reading
>> and receiving mail.
>>
>> I think it, boils down to answering the following questions before going
>> on with the task of hooking up your mail in Gnus:
>>
>> 1) How do you receive/read your email? Is it local or remote? (e.g. do
>> you currently use some combination of fetchmail/procmail or do you
>> prefer to read everything online using imap?)
>>
>> 2) If you fetchmail your stuff locally into some common format
>> (mbox/Maildir) from source, do you want to continue using these formats
>> or would you consider a migration to the nnml backend?
>>
>> 3) Do you need splitting/sorting to be done either on local or remote
>> methods?
>>
>> I hope I made my point with the above. The point is NOT to setup gnus to
>> read email. The point is to setup gnus to read email THE WAY YOU
>> WANT. There is enough rope around here for everybody I think :)
>>
>> p.s. my original setup was fetchmail->postfix->procmail->mbox->mua of
>> choice. After a few experiments, I think the following setup was the
>> most convenienenst to me: fetchmail->mbox->Gnus with splitting with
>> nnml backend .
>

> Thanks for explanation. It clears out few questions out of many I have.
> My quest is to have all my mails (from different imap/pop sources) stored
> locally on my lab computer(which is up & connected Internet 24hours) and
> sync(possibly with git vc) them to my laptop.

That makes sense! But you might ponder with the possibility of setting
up an imap server on that pc. Many people here are running their own
imap server or offlineimap or whatever to achieve their setups.

Think it a little bit before trying something out. The above setup
suited me because I have a netbook and I *always* carry it with me, so
your mileage may vary.

@ 2011-03-31 19:49     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-31 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagneshmsc@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Thanks for explanation. It clears out few questions out of many I have.
> My quest is to have all my mails (from different imap/pop sources) stored
> locally on my lab computer(which is up & connected Internet 24hours) and
> sync(possibly with git vc) them to my laptop.

Although I don't do this any more (relying instead on gnus agent), I did
have a setup similar to what you are describing.  My approach was to use
fetchmail with mailfilter/maildrop to download emails from various
sources and place them all in a number of maildir folders.  These were
then read using gnus or mutt or wl or ...

The different machines I had were kept in sync using unison so there was
no single main system -- they (office, home, laptop) were all identical.

This worked very well; I moved to IMAP with gnus agent when gnus IMAP
support improved so dramatically in the past 6 months!  (Thanks Lars et
al.)

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.16

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-04-01 18:39       ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2011-04-01 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonidas Tsampros; +Cc: ding

Hi Leonidas,

> [...]

>>> p.s. my original setup was fetchmail->postfix->procmail->mbox->mua of
>>> choice. After a few experiments, I think the following setup was the
>>> most convenienenst to me: fetchmail->mbox->Gnus with splitting with
>>> nnml backend .
>>

>> Thanks for explanation. It clears out few questions out of many I have.
>> My quest is to have all my mails (from different imap/pop sources) stored
>> locally on my lab computer(which is up & connected Internet 24hours) and
>> sync(possibly with git vc) them to my laptop.
>
> That makes sense! But you might ponder with the possibility of setting
> up an imap server on that pc. Many people here are running their own
> imap server or offlineimap or whatever to achieve their setups.
>
> Think it a little bit before trying something out. The above setup
> suited me because I have a netbook and I *always* carry it with me, so

I am slowly getting what you mean by "read email THE WAY YOU WANT". I
see, how an advantage for advance users can be problem for a new
user. countless of choices here in this case. Thanks to gnus.

Now I have to find out the best suited method for me.  Thanks for your
inputs.

Yagnesh

--
It is easy to find fault, if one has that disposition.  There was once a man
who, not being able to find any other fault with his coal, complained that

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-04-01 18:46       ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2011-04-01 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the response.,

> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagneshmsc@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Thanks for explanation. It clears out few questions out of many I have.
>> My quest is to have all my mails (from different imap/pop sources) stored
>> locally on my lab computer(which is up & connected Internet 24hours) and
>> sync(possibly with git vc) them to my laptop.
>
> Although I don't do this any more (relying instead on gnus agent), I did
> have a setup similar to what you are describing.  My approach was to use
> fetchmail with mailfilter/maildrop to download emails from various
> sources and place them all in a number of maildir folders.  These were
> then read using gnus or mutt or wl or ...

could you explain why you moved away from your erlier configuration.?

> The different machines I had were kept in sync using unison so there was
> no single main system -- they (office, home, laptop) were all identical.

thanks for mentioning unision, seems better option than git. if it is
not private, would be great if you can post your syncing setup.

> This worked very well; I moved to IMAP with gnus agent when gnus IMAP
> support improved so dramatically in the past 6 months!  (Thanks Lars et
> al.)

I follow the emacs bzr HEAD. so I am having developemental version of
gnus. so I would try gnus agent for IMAP.

Again many Thanks for you time.,
Yagnesh

--
Among the lucky, you are the chosen one.

* Re: Tutorials and worg like site for gnus.
@ 2011-04-01 19:06         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-04-01 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
> Thanks for the response.,

You're welcome.

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagneshmsc@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Thanks for explanation. It clears out few questions out of many I have.
>>> My quest is to have all my mails (from different imap/pop sources) stored
>>> locally on my lab computer(which is up & connected Internet 24hours) and
>>> sync(possibly with git vc) them to my laptop.
>>
>> Although I don't do this any more (relying instead on gnus agent), I did
>> have a setup similar to what you are describing.  My approach was to use
>> fetchmail with mailfilter/maildrop to download emails from various
>> sources and place them all in a number of maildir folders.  These were
>> then read using gnus or mutt or wl or ...
>
> could you explain why you moved away from your erlier configuration.?

As mentioned later in my response, gnus IMAP support improved
dramatically.  For other reasons, I was finding it more attractive to
use the IMAP server(s) as my mail store instead of downloading
everything to my own systems.  One reason is my increased use of email
on my phone (Android) and wanting to keep email access as simple as
possible.  IMAP seemed the way to go.

I should add that I have also moved to a inbox zero approach to my email
so I don't actually want to keep emails for very long at all.  This
doesn't really affect my move from maildir to IMAP but did motivate me
to move to gnus a while back as it has a mode of operation that is
better suited to that approach, especially with automatic expiry of
mail.

>> The different machines I had were kept in sync using unison so there was
>> no single main system -- they (office, home, laptop) were all identical.
>
> thanks for mentioning unision, seems better option than git. if it is
> not private, would be great if you can post your syncing setup.

Nothing really out of the ordinary.  I keep all the files I want synced
between computers (and that used to include my full email store) in a
sub-tree called "synced".  I then simply

  unison synced remotehost:synced

when I'm done working on the local system.  When I start working on any
of my systems, the first thing I do is synchronise using the same
command, work away, and then synchronise again before turning off the
computer.  This applies to my home and laptop systems.

The synced sub-tree includes all my gnus related files (cache, agent,
scores, newsrc.eld, ...).

My synced sub-tree is about 2GB (maybe more: it's been a while since I
checked) but the amount of data needed to synchronise at any given point
is obviously usually much much smaller.

I do use git, however, for many other things, typically self-contained
projects where revision history is necessary or useful.  I do not
synchronise git directories using unison as you end up with a confused
git repository in my experience.  In any case, git is not really
suitable for email unless you really want to have a revision history for
all your emails (which would seem excessive IMO).

>> This worked very well; I moved to IMAP with gnus agent when gnus IMAP
>> support improved so dramatically in the past 6 months!  (Thanks Lars et
>> al.)
>
> I follow the emacs bzr HEAD. so I am having developemental version of
> gnus. so I would try gnus agent for IMAP.

Do try!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.16