* Nicely faster startup
@ 2010-12-15 20:41 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-12-15 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

As of my last pull startup times have shrunk nicely.

I suspect most of the speedup is due to the changes to how active is
read.

Down to ~15 minutes to get the replies to the uid fetch flag calls for
each imap group, and <1 minute for gnus itself (down from ~12 or so).

Cool.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: Nicely faster startup
@ 2010-12-16 16:30 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-16 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> As of my last pull startup times have shrunk nicely.

Nice.

> Down to ~15 minutes to get the replies to the uid fetch flag calls for
> each imap group, and <1 minute for gnus itself (down from ~12 or so).

But 15 minutes!?  Are you serious?  How many groups is that?

* Re: Nicely faster startup
@ 2010-12-16 19:49   ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-12-16 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

LMI> But 15 minutes!?  Are you serious?  How many groups is that?

There are a continual stream of new groups, especially under my
Bugs/Debian/, Bugs/Gnome/ and Commits/Gnome/ hierarchies.  So it
is now a bit over 21k.  (You may remember that it was 20k when
you first released the new nnimap.)

Also note that startup had become as long as 80 minutes before
you started the new nnimap and before I made dbmail-imapd's LIST
command fast.

The 15 minutes is spent servicing the examine/uid fetch requests.
Qresync will not help, since it is only an argument to select or
examine.  To get startup faster would require that LIST reply with
everything gnus needs for each listed group.  Or a box with order-
of-magnitude faster RAM, of course. ☺

-JimC

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-16 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Oh, right, I had forgotten about that...

Sent from my Emacs

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> There are a continual stream of new groups, especially under my
> Bugs/Debian/, Bugs/Gnome/ and Commits/Gnome/ hierarchies.  So it
> is now a bit over 21k.  (You may remember that it was 20k when
> you first released the new nnimap.)
>
> Also note that startup had become as long as 80 minutes before
> you started the new nnimap and before I made dbmail-imapd's LIST
> command fast.
>
> The 15 minutes is spent servicing the examine/uid fetch requests.
> Qresync will not help, since it is only an argument to select or
> examine.  To get startup faster would require that LIST reply with
> everything gnus needs for each listed group.  Or a box with order-
> of-magnitude faster RAM, of course. ☺
>
> -JimC

* Re: Nicely faster startup
@ 2010-12-16 22:12   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-16 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:
>
>> As of my last pull startup times have shrunk nicely.
>
> Nice.
>
>> Down to ~15 minutes to get the replies to the uid fetch flag calls for
>> each imap group, and <1 minute for gnus itself (down from ~12 or so).
>
> But 15 minutes!?  Are you serious?  How many groups is that?

Sorry to jump in to the  middle of this but my startup of gnus on my
netbook is on the order of 5 minutes whereas it's well under a minute on
my desktop.  The processor and memory specs cannot account for this
difference, in my view, but I would like to figure out where the time is
being spent in each case as the configurations are slightly different.
Can you please advise on how to do this?  elp-instrument-package gnus-
doesn't return anything useful for some reason.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1 + No Gnus v0.11

* Re: Nicely faster startup
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-17 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Can you please advise on how to do this?  elp-instrument-package gnus-
> doesn't return anything useful for some reason.

I'd suggest stracing Emacs when you hit `g'.  That should tell you what
Gnus is doing, broadly speaking.

* Re: Nicely faster startup
@ 2010-12-18 19:21       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-18 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Can you please advise on how to do this?  elp-instrument-package gnus-
>> doesn't return anything useful for some reason.
>
> I'd suggest stracing Emacs when you hit `g'.  That should tell you what
> Gnus is doing, broadly speaking.

Okay; I'll try that.  Thanks.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1 + No Gnus v0.11