* gnorb can't find moved messages
@ 2018-09-27 12:15 Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2018-09-27 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I'm experimenting with gnorb at the moment, and I have a problem. Maybe
it's my config, or maybe it's the intended behaviour, I don't know since
I have not used gnorb before. So here it is:

If I link a TODO to an email (org-capture when on the received mail),
gnorb is able start an answer to the mail from the TODO with C-c t. It
can also find the mail (actually the whole linked conversation if there
is one) with C-c v.

Unless I move the mail to another folder. Then C-c t doesn't work
anymore, it doesn't find the mail and starts an empty answer to nothing.
Isn't this the whole point of the registry to be able to find emails
even when they move ? C-c v still finds the mail, so it's possible, so I
guess C-c t should still work ? Or maybe not ?

So question to gnorb users: should C-c t still work with messages which
have been moved since they were linked to a TODO ?

If yes, any idea why mine don't work ?

Thanks
--
Rémi

* Re: gnorb can't find moved messages
@ 2018-09-27 17:16 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-09-27 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rémi Letot <hobbes@poukram.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm experimenting with gnorb at the moment, and I have a problem. Maybe
> it's my config, or maybe it's the intended behaviour, I don't know since
> I have not used gnorb before. So here it is:
>
> If I link a TODO to an email (org-capture when on the received mail),
> gnorb is able start an answer to the mail from the TODO with C-c t. It
> can also find the mail (actually the whole linked conversation if there
> is one) with C-c v.
>
> Unless I move the mail to another folder. Then C-c t doesn't work
> anymore, it doesn't find the mail and starts an empty answer to nothing.
> Isn't this the whole point of the registry to be able to find emails
> even when they move ? C-c v still finds the mail, so it's possible, so I
> guess C-c t should still work ? Or maybe not ?

Yup, it should still work, and the fact that "C-c v" still functions
correctly indicates that it's a bug somewhere in "C-c t". I hardly ever
(pretty much never) move messages manually, so it's not something I've
come across. I'll find some time to look at this in the evening.

Thanks!
Eric

* Re: gnorb can't find moved messages
@ 2018-09-28 23:36   ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2018-09-28 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, hobbes, Eric Abrahamsen

This problem also arose for me when I very first started to
use Gnorb, and also surprised me as I thought the registry
would act as a sort of invariant pointer. However, it didn't.

It came up because I use gmail as my primary service and use
gnus to access with IMAP (with no local storage). Gmail has a
funny sort of structure where everything appears in the "All
Mail" folder as well as possibly in one or more individual
folders (really tags, but it works like folders).

Generally what I do is "archive" my "inbox" mail when I'm done
with it. All that does is remove the "inbox" tag, leaving the
"All Mail" tag in place. But if I had marked the mail for
tracking with Gnorb while in the inbox, which seems the normal
way to do things (act on the mail before archiving), the
org-mode link would be set to "inbox". After archiving, the
link would be broken.

So, I, um "solved" this by writing advice that would catch any
attempt to create a Gmail inbox link and change it to a Gmail
All Mail link. Then the mail is always found and the link is
always valid.

Talk about crude and brute force! But it's actually a fairly
general solution. I think I may have actually had the chutzpah
to post the code on my website, but I'm hoping I'm wrong about
that.

Aloha from Hawai`i nei,

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: gnorb can't find moved messages
@ 2018-09-29 17:47     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-09-29 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: ding, hobbes

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> This problem also arose for me when I very first started to
> use Gnorb, and also surprised me as I thought the registry
> would act as a sort of invariant pointer. However, it didn't.

Thanks to both of you -- it looks to me like the problem is in
`gnorb-follow-gnus-link', not the registry. I've noticed that sometimes
if you follow Gnus message links, you get into a Summary buffer that
includes a bogus (None) message. Usually nothing happens with that, but
in this case it looks like Gnorb tries to start a reply to that bogus
message.

In my brief testing, it only happens the first time you try it. After
the first time Gnorb correctly finds the moved message, and starts a
reply to it. I have no idea why, I assume some caching is going on.
Anyway, I will try to fix `gnorb-follow-gnus-link' so it doesn't do
that.

> It came up because I use gmail as my primary service and use
> gnus to access with IMAP (with no local storage). Gmail has a
> funny sort of structure where everything appears in the "All
> Mail" folder as well as possibly in one or more individual
> folders (really tags, but it works like folders).
>
> Generally what I do is "archive" my "inbox" mail when I'm done
> with it. All that does is remove the "inbox" tag, leaving the
> "All Mail" tag in place. But if I had marked the mail for
> tracking with Gnorb while in the inbox, which seems the normal
> way to do things (act on the mail before archiving), the
> org-mode link would be set to "inbox". After archiving, the
> link would be broken.

This isn't quite the same thing -- org-mode links hard-code the group
name, so if you move the message Org won't be able to find it again.
That doesn't have anything to do with Gnorb.

* Re: gnorb can't find moved messages
@ 2018-09-29 19:54       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-09-29 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: ding, hobbes

> Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:
>
>> This problem also arose for me when I very first started to
>> use Gnorb, and also surprised me as I thought the registry
>> would act as a sort of invariant pointer. However, it didn't.
>
> Thanks to both of you -- it looks to me like the problem is in
> `gnorb-follow-gnus-link', not the registry. I've noticed that sometimes
> if you follow Gnus message links, you get into a Summary buffer that
> includes a bogus (None) message. Usually nothing happens with that, but
> in this case it looks like Gnorb tries to start a reply to that bogus
> message.
>
> In my brief testing, it only happens the first time you try it. After
> the first time Gnorb correctly finds the moved message, and starts a
> reply to it. I have no idea why, I assume some caching is going on.
> Anyway, I will try to fix `gnorb-follow-gnus-link' so it doesn't do
> that.

Okay, it looks like I'd left behind some bits of an earlier attempt at
caching that should have been deleted. I've cleaned that out and bumped
the version; it works for me now.

Give it a shot if you have time!

Eric

* Re: gnorb can't find moved messages
@ 2018-09-30 18:12         ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2018-09-30 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Okay, it looks like I'd left behind some bits of an earlier attempt at
> caching that should have been deleted. I've cleaned that out and bumped
> the version; it works for me now.
>
> Give it a shot if you have time!

Tested and approved, now it works.

Thanks a very big lot :-)

--

@ 2018-10-01  3:41           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-10-01  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rémi Letot; +Cc: ding

Rémi Letot <hobbes@poukram.net> writes:

>> Okay, it looks like I'd left behind some bits of an earlier attempt at
>> caching that should have been deleted. I've cleaned that out and bumped
>> the version; it works for me now.
>>
>> Give it a shot if you have time!
>
> Tested and approved, now it works.
>
> Thanks a very big lot :-)