* Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2010-11-12 17:06 jidanni
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: jidanni @ 2010-11-12 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I bet there has not been one female gnus user ever.
Or at least posting on this list.
Or at least still on this list.
Just an observation.

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2010-11-12 20:56 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-12 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> I bet there has not been one female gnus user ever.

I know that's not true.

> Or at least posting on this list.
> Or at least still on this list.
> Just an observation.

Hey!  I'm quite swishy!  Doesn't that count?

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2010-11-13  4:15 ` Bill White
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bill White @ 2010-11-13  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri Nov 12 2010 at 11:06, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> I bet there has not been one female gnus user ever.
> Or at least posting on this list.
> Or at least still on this list.

I don't know whether she's still on the list (or reading gmane,
whatever).  Wasn't she involved in medieval music?  Played a strange
archaic instrument?  Sackbut?  Serpent?  Something essy.

Offhand, I can't recall two.

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wolfram.com/billw/summa
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2010-11-14 11:34 ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-11-14 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> I bet there has not been one female gnus user ever.
> Or at least posting on this list.
> Or at least still on this list.
> Just an observation.

http://bit.ly/9hu7Ct

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-14 12:23 ` Byung-Hee HWANG
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2010-11-14 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> I bet there has not been one female gnus user ever.
> Or at least posting on this list.
> Or at least still on this list.
> Just an observation.

Actually, girls don't write emails on Internet.
Instead, they write SMS by phone, as far as i know.

--
소여물 황병희(黃炳熙) | .. 출항 15분전..

"After super, can you drive me and the kids to New York in your car?"
"That's what I came for."
		-- Kay Adams and Tom Hagen, "Chapter 32", page 443

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 195 bytes --]

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2010-11-14 12:26   ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2010-11-14 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary; +Cc: ding

Well, i don't think there is dog knowing ding@ here.

--
소여물 황병희(黃炳熙) | .. 출항 15분전..

"Germinal, terminal, what the hell. I started to do abortions. Nice and easy,
everybody happy, like washing the dishes and leaving a clean sink. That was
my class. I loved it, I loved being an abortionist. I don't believe that a
two-month fetus is a human being so no problems there. I was helping young
girls and married woman who were in trouble, I was making good money. I was
out of the front lines. When I got caught I felt like a deserter that had been
hauled in. But I was lucky, a friend pulled some strings and got me off but
now the big hospitals won't let me operate. So here I am. Giving good advice
again which is being ignored just like in the old days."
		-- Jules Seagul, "Chapter 26", page 373

@ 2010-11-14 12:52   ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-11-14 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
> jidanni@jidanni.org writes:
>
>> I bet there has not been one female gnus user ever.
>> Or at least posting on this list.
>> Or at least still on this list.
>> Just an observation.
>
> Actually, girls don't write emails on Internet.
> Instead, they write SMS by phone, as far as i know.

Oh, for fecks sake.

Can we all please leave this little patch of feculence, this sexist trolling,
quiet, rather than feeding it?

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2010-11-14 13:18   ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2010-11-14 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
> jidanni@jidanni.org writes:
>
>> I bet there has not been one female gnus user ever.
>> Or at least posting on this list.
>> Or at least still on this list.
>> Just an observation.
>
> Actually, girls don't write emails on Internet.
> Instead, they write SMS by phone, as far as i know.

Ok, guys. Just in case any user who isn't youngish and male ever comes
by this thread, maybe we should stop with the stereotypes now?

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 315 bytes --]

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2010-11-14 13:35   ` Stefanie Teufel
From: Stefanie Teufel @ 2010-11-14 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Byung-Hee HWANG; +Cc: jidanni, ding

Jep, sure we do. But only when we don't talk on our phones what we do
most of the day.

kind regards Stefanie who had used gnus for a long time

2010/11/14 Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr>:
> jidanni@jidanni.org writes:
>
>> I bet there has not been one female gnus user ever.
>> Or at least posting on this list.
>> Or at least still on this list.
>> Just an observation.
>
> Actually, girls don't write emails on Internet.
> Instead, they write SMS by phone, as far as i know.
>
> --
> 소여물 황병희(黃炳熙) | .. 출항 15분전..
>
> "After super, can you drive me and the kids to New York in your car?"
> "That's what I came for."
>                -- Kay Adams and Tom Hagen, "Chapter 32", page 443

--
http://stefaniessammelsurium.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/steufel

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-14 15:12 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-11-14 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> I bet there has not been one female gnus user ever.
> Or at least posting on this list.
> Or at least still on this list.
> Just an observation.

Poor troll ;)

http://sachachua.com/blog/2008/05/geek-how-to-use-offlineimap-and-the-dovecot-mail-server-to-read-your-gmail-in-emacs-efficiently/

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2010-11-15  2:36     ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-11-15  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: s.teufel; +Cc: ding

ST> http://stefaniessammelsurium.blogspot.com/
ST> http://www.etsy.com/shop/steufel
ST> http://twitter.com/#!/steufel_1
ST> http://www.facebook.com/Stefanies.Sammelsurium

Those are all bracelets. OK, working back from the email address I did
manage to find one photo,
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=100264676679523&set=a.144810745558249.19050.100000879726131
there on http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000879726131 .

OK, I suppose we don't need to wait for the DNA samples to come back from
the lab. OK, there is ONE female gnus user.

Lard> Hey!  I'm quite swishy!  Doesn't that count?

I'm more swishy than you. I maintain http://transgender-taiwan.org/ AKA
http://www.facebook.com/tg.taiwan , nya-nya.

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2010-11-15  2:44       ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2010-11-15  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> OK, I suppose we don't need to wait for the DNA samples to come back
> from the lab. OK, there is ONE female gnus user.

Is there some point that you're trying to make with this series of posts?

Like many people here, I know several female Gnus users.  However, one
reason why they may not participate on the mailing list as much as one
might want them to is because of comments and threads like this one, which
can make people feel like biological specimens instead of people.

If there's some sort of barrier in either Gnus or in the mailing list
against women that you think should be addressed, then please do mention
it directly.  I'm sure I'm not the only person here in favor of lowering
barriers.  But if you're just randomly analyzing, you might want to note
that this sort of random analysis can *itself* create a barrier by making
people feel like research data points instead of equal members of the
community.

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2010-11-27 11:28     ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-11-27 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
> Gary writes:
>> jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>>> I bet there has not been one female gnus user ever.

>> http://bit.ly/9hu7Ct
>
> Well, i don't think there is dog knowing ding@ here.

<<The phrase can be taken "to mean that cyberspace will be liberatory
because gender, race, age, looks, or even 'dogness' are potentially
absent or alternatively fabricated or exaggerated ...">>

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-12  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> Can we all please leave this little patch of feculence, this sexist
> trolling, quiet, rather than feeding it?

Ok, it's Saturday, and I'm drunk, so I probably shouldn't be writing
anything on this issue, but I was just thinking: Like, ten years from
now, some researcher will be doing a survey of "Sexism in Free Software"
(with reference to the rather horrid Ruby thing that a month ago-ish,
which was totally embarrasses), and I think, perhaps, that it would be
appropriate to go on record in saying, that, yes, I'm a computer nerd,
but I've read half of Marilyn French's books, most of Andrea Dworkin's
work (including "Woman Hating"), and all of Joanna Russ's work, but it's
still a fascinating question why Emacs development is so stridently
male.

Which it is.

But it's impossible to even try to discuss this without offending
anybody, so...  er...  please don't follow up to this message.  It's all
for that researcher ten years from now.  Hi!

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2010-12-13  0:57       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-12-13  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

LMI> still a fascinating question why Emacs development is so stridently
LMI> male.

LMI> Which it is.

LMI> But it's impossible to even try to discuss this without offending
LMI> anybody, so...  er...  please don't follow up to this message.

And furthermore, at least back-calculating from my own
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/jidanni/subscription ,
certain kind of males too ;-)
--
http://facebook.com/jidanni
http://www.ragii.com/?8496

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2011-02-03  2:37       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-02-03  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

http://blog.wikimedia.org/blog/2011/02/01/wikipedias-gender-gap/

I hope gmane.org.wikimedia.gendergap won't take weeks to create.
the Gmane administrators.
240 Article received iid4am8sn1dough.gmane.org

* Re: Bet not one female gnus user ever
@ 2011-02-03  3:14         ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-02-03  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

j> I hope gmane.org.wikimedia.gendergap won't take weeks to create.
Thank god that there is also NNTP via http://news.tcx.org.uk/wikimedia.html