* Re-imagining Gnus as a mail reader
@ 2010-12-18  2:34 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-18  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

It's so quiet here tonight.  I guess everybody is out partying.

Yesterday I chased down a performance regression that turned out to be
our IMAP server taking five seconds to re-index my spam group every time
I APPEND something to it.  It just took two hours.  So naturally I just
wanted to delete all the articles, but entering the group and deleting
all the millions of spam messages would have taken hours, so I just
wrote `M-x gnus-group-delete-articles' instead.

But now I'm kinda wondering how Gnus would have looked if it had
modelled itself on IMAP instead of NNTP.  IMAP is (sort of) a superset
of NNTP, but not quite.  Perhaps the main difference is that IMAP is
slightly more explicit about the trifurcation between
unread/read/non-existent, while NNTP only (sort of) has "some articles
exist in this range".

Hm...

But, I mean, also about the marks storage and subscription storage,
which would perhaps be more usefully modelled around IMAP and then
scaled down for other backends like NNTP.

Ok, back to the cooking wine.

Sent from my Emacs