* drafts
@ 2000-03-11 13:15 Clinton Roy
From: Clinton Roy @ 2000-03-11 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Would it be possible to show the address of the person that a half
finished mail is addressed to, rather than the rather unhelpful
``none''?

bye.
--
``All alone in space and time''
		-- Placebo

* Re: drafts
@ 2000-03-11 15:26 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-03-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clinton Roy <latte@uq.net.au> writes:
> Would it be possible to show the address of the person that a half
> finished mail is addressed to, rather than the rather unhelpful
> ``none''?

(setq gnus-extra-headers '(To))
http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/manual/gnus_50.html#IDX505

* Re: drafts
@ 2000-03-14 18:15   ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2000-03-14 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> (setq gnus-extra-headers '(To))
> http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/manual/gnus_50.html#IDX505

Does not help me.

Greetings
		Christoph

* Re: drafts
@ 2000-03-14 20:12     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-03-14 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Rohland <hans-christoph.rohland@sap.com> writes:
> Does not help me.

Well, you also need to tweak your gnus-summary-line-format.  That's
why I included the reference to the manual -- you need %f instead of
%n in the format string in order to show To.  And don't forget to set
gnus-ignored-from-addresses while you're at it.

It works.  Honest.

* Re: drafts
@ 2000-05-07 13:01       ` Clinton Roy
From: Clinton Roy @ 2000-05-07 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello peoples :)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:
> Well, you also need to tweak your gnus-summary-line-format.  That's
> why I included the reference to the manual -- you need %f instead of
> %n in the format string in order to show To.  And don't forget to set
> gnus-ignored-from-addresses while you're at it.
>
> It works.  Honest.

Wow. It's amazing how deep your todo stack can get. Anyway, got around
to setting this up today. Indeed, it does work :)

And like all good answers should, the solution has raised more
questions:

1) What's the deal with getting the extra header information? Does
   everything get slowed down now that Gnus is parsing an extra header
   for me, even though I only want it to for one group?

2) Getting that header information into the summary line is a
   pain. Why isn't there a format spec for the To header? Why the
   complex two-in-one spec and another regexp?

3) I did at one stage have the new summary line format string without
   %U in it. Deleting a draft message didn't make the normal
   %highlighting happen. This effect of this spec is documented
   somewhere, right?

4) My format spec has to cut off the first two characters of the
   From/To header, as it's ``->''. What's this from?

My suggestions would be to do either:
1) Have the drafts group do some magic and set this up as default.
2) Have a paragraph in the manual describing how to do it.

Thank you so much for working on Gnus, it's the most feature complete
news and mail reader that we could hope for.

bye.
--
``All alone in space and time''
		-- Placebo

* Re: drafts
@ 2000-05-07 14:11         ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-05-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clinton Roy <latte@uq.net.au> writes:
> 1) What's the deal with getting the extra header information? Does
>    everything get slowed down now that Gnus is parsing an extra header
>    for me, even though I only want it to for one group?

Getting the extra header info out of the article in "drafts" takes as
long as any other single header, and since there is no .overview, it
must be parsed out of the articles each time you enter.  There
shouldn't be any appreciable slowdown.

> 2) Getting that header information into the summary line is a
>    pain. Why isn't there a format spec for the To header? Why the
>    complex two-in-one spec and another regexp?

As I recall, Lars felt that %n's purpose ("from" only) was
sufficiently distinct from %f ("from, to, or newsgroups") that a
distinct specifier was in order.  I suggested making %f the default;
he declined for this reason.

> 3) I did at one stage have the new summary line format string without
>    %U in it. Deleting a draft message didn't make the normal
>    %highlighting happen. This effect of this spec is documented
>    somewhere, right?

No idea; never tried.

> 4) My format spec has to cut off the first two characters of the
>    From/To header, as it's ``->''. What's this from?

See gnus-summary-from-or-to-or-newsgroups in gnus-sum.el, line 2589 in
the very latest incantation.  To better indicate that this is a
message which is going somwhere, instead of mail which came from
somewhere, the code adds "->" as a visual aid.  This is particularly
useful in mail groups where threaded discussions will be found.

Similarly, newsgroup postings get "=>" added to the group name.

> My suggestions would be to do either:
> 1) Have the drafts group do some magic and set this up as default.

That's not a bad idea, setting up local variables for the drafts group
in its group properties.

> 2) Have a paragraph in the manual describing how to do it.

The basics of this are covered in the manual...
http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/manual/gnus_50.html#IDX505
...or in the *Info* system via
`C-h i' -> Gnus -> The Summary Buffer -> Summary Buffer Format
 -> To From Newsgroups

* Re: drafts
@ 2000-05-07 16:15         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-07 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Clinton Roy <latte@uq.net.au> writes:

> 2) Getting that header information into the summary line is a
>    pain. Why isn't there a format spec for the To header? Why the
>    complex two-in-one spec and another regexp?

This was intended to be used in other groups, as well.  For messages
sent by others, the author name is shown, for messages from you, `->'
is shown plus the recipient's name.

Hm.  I think the drafts group is a special case.  Maybe it would be
nice to have an additional spec which always shows the To header...

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: drafts
@ 2000-05-08  2:16           ` Clinton Roy
From: Clinton Roy @ 2000-05-08  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hm.  I think the drafts group is a special case.  Maybe it would be
> nice to have an additional spec which always shows the To header...
it's not *that* special, you'd pretty much always want the To header
displayed in any archive groups as well.

Clinton ``this only *looks* like pine'' Roy
--
this is where the .sig goes