* PGG howto ?
@ 2003-01-16 22:26 Xavier MAILLARD
From: Xavier MAILLARD @ 2003-01-16 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Until now, I used to sign/encrypt mails using mailcrypt and all was
quite good.

Now I have decided that it was time for me to switch my mind and my
habits to use PGG :)

The problem is I do NOT know at all how I can simply do things I used
to do with mailcrypt easily.

For such a reason I'm requesting your help concerning the right
configuration of PGG.

Thanx in advance.

Cheers,

zeDek

P.S: I have set all the variables needed after having read the docu,
now I need more help on howto to automatically sign/encrypt when
sending mails and stuff like that.

* Re: PGG howto ?
@ 2003-01-17  8:59 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-01-17  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Xavier MAILLARD <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Until now, I used to sign/encrypt mails using mailcrypt and all was
> quite good.
>
> Now I have decided that it was time for me to switch my mind and my
> habits to use PGG :)
>
> The problem is I do NOT know at all how I can simply do things I used
> to do with mailcrypt easily.

Snarfing keys is not possible with PGG (but you can continue to use
mailcrypt for this if you want), but everything else should have its
own menu item.

> For such a reason I'm requesting your help concerning the right
> configuration of PGG.

PGG should not need any configuration unless you have a weird setup.
If there is something that needs to be configured that you think PGG
ought to be able to figure out by itself, please mention it.

> P.S: I have set all the variables needed after having read the docu,
> now I need more help on howto to automatically sign/encrypt when
> sending mails and stuff like that.

This seems to be a common request, I'll put the answer in the manual
if someone knows it.

* Re: PGG howto ?
@ 2003-01-18 19:50   ` Xavier MAILLARD
From: Xavier MAILLARD @ 2003-01-18 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Simon Josefsson said:

>  Xavier MAILLARD <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Until now, I used to sign/encrypt mails using mailcrypt and all was
> > quite good.
> >
> > Now I have decided that it was time for me to switch my mind and my
> > habits to use PGG :)
> >
> > The problem is I do NOT know at all how I can simply do things I
> > used to do with mailcrypt easily.
>
>  Snarfing keys is not possible with PGG (but you can continue to use
>  mailcrypt for this if you want), but everything else should have its
>  own menu item.

Hmm what a pity. I think I'd better continue to use mailcrypt so :(
Using PGG, I thought I could get rid of mailcrypt (which is excellent
though) but apparently it's not possible :(

> > For such a reason I'm requesting your help concerning the right
> > configuration of PGG.
>
>  PGG should not need any configuration unless you have a weird setup.
>  If there is something that needs to be configured that you think PGG
>  ought to be able to figure out by itself, please mention it.

Hmm, effectively, I don't need it now :) I thought that there were
configuration var missing such as my gpg ID, or the gpg keyserver name.

But it seems it's useless cuz' we can't snarf keys :)

> > P.S: I have set all the variables needed after having read the docu,
> > now I need more help on howto to automatically sign/encrypt when
> > sending mails and stuff like that.
>
>  This seems to be a common request, I'll put the answer in the manual
>  if someone knows it.

I'll try to search. I already do this using my mailcrypt setup so I
think I can do the same using PGG funcs, can't I ?

Cheers,

zeDek

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: PGG howto ?
@ 2003-01-19 14:09   ` Patrice Neff
From: Patrice Neff @ 2003-01-19 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> P.S: I have set all the variables needed after having read the docu,
>> now I need more help on howto to automatically sign/encrypt when
>> sending mails and stuff like that.
>
> This seems to be a common request, I'll put the answer in the manual
> if someone knows it.

I use bbdb-pgp¹ for that purpose. I have adjusted it to sign using PGG
when I switched. But I just saw at Google that there is also another
patch¹ which looks cleaner than my code, though I don't know if it
works. If you're interested in my modification, just tell me.

Bye
Patrice

______________
¹  <http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/338/1997/11/0/1875617/>
²  <http://www.mail-archive.com/bbdb-info@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03135.html>

* Re: PGG howto ?
@ 2003-01-20 21:27     ` Xavier MAILLARD
From: Xavier MAILLARD @ 2003-01-20 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Patrice Neff uttered the following:

>  Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
> >> P.S: I have set all the variables needed after having read the
> >> docu, now I need more help on howto to automatically sign/encrypt
> >> when sending mails and stuff like that.
> >
> > This seems to be a common request, I'll put the answer in the manual
> > if someone knows it.
>
>  I use bbdb-pgp¹ for that purpose. I have adjusted it to sign using
>  PGG when I switched. But I just saw at Google that there is also
>  another patch¹ which looks cleaner than my code, though I don't know
>  if it works. If you're interested in my modification, just tell me.

So I am :) Please gimme the tricks ;-)

@ 2003-01-21  7:22       ` Patrice Neff
From: Patrice Neff @ 2003-01-21  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Xavier MAILLARD <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> So I am :) Please gimme the tricks ;-)

Well, dunno about the code quality, but here is the modified function:

(defun bbdb/pgp-hook-fun ()
  "Function to be added to message-send-hook
Uses PGP to encrypt messages to users marked in the BBDB with the
field bbdb-pgp-field."
  (save-restriction
    (save-excursion
      (message-narrow-to-headers)
      (let* ((to-field (mail-fetch-field "To" nil t))
	     (address (mail-extract-address-components (or to-field ""))))
	(widen)
	(if (not (equal address `(nil nil)))
	    (let ((pgp-p (bbdb/pgp-get-pgp (car address) (car (cdr address)))))
	      (cond
	       ((string= "encrypt" pgp-p)
		(and (y-or-n-p "Encrypt message ? ")
		     (call-interactively 'mml-secure-encrypt-pgpmime)))
	       ((string= "sign" pgp-p)
		(and (y-or-n-p "Sign message ? ")
		     (call-interactively 'mml-secure-sign-pgpmime)))
	       (t
		nil))))))))

Bye
Patrice

* Re: PGG howto ?
@ 2003-01-21  9:36         ` Xavier MAILLARD
From: Xavier MAILLARD @ 2003-01-21  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Patrice Neff told this:

>  Xavier MAILLARD <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> > So I am :) Please gimme the tricks ;-)
>
>  Well, dunno about the code quality, but here is the modified

Nevermind the quality code :) It's tricky code ;-)

>  function:

>  (defun bbdb/pgp-hook-fun () "Function to be added to
>    message-send-hook Uses PGP to encrypt messages to users marked in
>    the BBDB with the field bbdb-pgp-field."  (save-restriction
>    (save-excursion (message-narrow-to-headers) (let* ((to-field
>    (mail-fetch-field "To" nil t)) (address
>    (mail-extract-address-components (or to-field "")))) (widen) (if
>    (not (equal address `(nil nil))) (let ((pgp-p (bbdb/pgp-get-pgp
>    (car address) (car (cdr address))))) (cond ((string= "encrypt"
>    pgp-p) (and (y-or-n-p "Encrypt message ? ") (call-interactively
>    'mml-secure-encrypt-pgpmime))) ((string= "sign" pgp-p) (and
>    (y-or-n-p "Sign message ? ") (call-interactively
>    'mml-secure-sign-pgpmime))) (t nil))))))))

Looks good to me. At least it does its job :)

Thanx

@ 2003-01-25 21:15     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-01-25 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Xavier MAILLARD <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Simon Josefsson said:
>
>>  Xavier MAILLARD <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Until now, I used to sign/encrypt mails using mailcrypt and all was
>> > quite good.
>> >
>> > Now I have decided that it was time for me to switch my mind and my
>> > habits to use PGG :)
>> >
>> > The problem is I do NOT know at all how I can simply do things I
>> > used to do with mailcrypt easily.
>>
>>  Snarfing keys is not possible with PGG (but you can continue to use
>>  mailcrypt for this if you want), but everything else should have its
>>  own menu item.
>
> Hmm what a pity. I think I'd better continue to use mailcrypt so :(
> Using PGG, I thought I could get rid of mailcrypt (which is excellent
> though) but apparently it's not possible :(

You could continue to use mailcrypt for snarfing keys, and use PGG via
Gnus for everything else.  Mailcrypt coexists happily with PGG and
Gnus.

>> > P.S: I have set all the variables needed after having read the docu,
>> > now I need more help on howto to automatically sign/encrypt when
>> > sending mails and stuff like that.
>>
>>  This seems to be a common request, I'll put the answer in the manual
>>  if someone knows it.
>
> I'll try to search. I already do this using my mailcrypt setup so I
> think I can do the same using PGG funcs, can't I ?

The variables and functions aren't compatible, AFAIK.  But I believe
it is be possible to achieve the same functionality.