* using nnimap
@ 2000-03-07 18:06 Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-03-07 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I installed UoW imap server on my server box. It seems that I can
connect, but that's where it stops...

Do I have some interface within Gnus to create/manage Imap folders? Or
else how does this work? The documentation only covers connecting and
splitting mail using nnimap backend...

Does this log look reasonable?
,----[ (setq imap-log "*imap-log*") ]
| * OK soup.thpoon.com IMAP4rev1 v12.264 server ready
| 1 CAPABILITY
| * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 NAMESPACE IDLE SCAN SORT MAILBOX-REFERRALS LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
| 1 OK CAPABILITY completed
| 2 LOGIN "antipode" "*******"
| 2 OK LOGIN completed
| 3 LSUB "" "*%"
| 3 OK LSUB completed
| 4 LSUB "" "*%"
| 4 OK LSUB completed
| 5 LSUB "" "*%"
| 5 OK LSUB completed
| 6 LSUB "" "*%"
| 6 OK LSUB completed
`----

Here's what I have for my backends:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
     '((nnml "")
       (nnimap "soup"
	       (nnimap-address "soup")
               (nnimap-list-pattern ("Mailbox" "imap/*")))))

I don't see any groups starting with nnimap (which I intuitively
suspect is the way it's supposed to be, right?).

Thanks for any suggestions!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

* Re: using nnimap
@ 2000-03-07 19:41 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-03-07 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> I installed UoW imap server on my server box. It seems that I can
> connect, but that's where it stops...
>
> Do I have some interface within Gnus to create/manage Imap folders? Or
> else how does this work? The documentation only covers connecting and
> splitting mail using nnimap backend...

Well, everything else should be like any other backend so regular Gnus
commands apply.

> Does this log look reasonable?

Yes.

> Here's what I have for my backends:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>      '((nnml "")
>        (nnimap "soup"
> 	       (nnimap-address "soup")
>                (nnimap-list-pattern ("Mailbox" "imap/*")))))

Looks good (perhaps you'd like to add "INBOX" to the
`nnimap-list-pattern' list, I dunno).

> I don't see any groups starting with nnimap (which I intuitively
> suspect is the way it's supposed to be, right?).

You need to subscribe to the groups before you see them. Use `A A' or
the server buffer or something to do that.

* Re: Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-27 17:37                             ` Jim Davidson
From: Jim Davidson @ 2001-08-27 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

jerome.marant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:

>   I've got the same result: *imap-debug* and *nnimap-debug* have not been
>   created ;(
>
>   I've contacted my Internet provider and it would be better for
>   him to have IMAP logs in order to see what could be wrong in
>   IMAP messages.

No.

If the buffers *imap-debug*, *nnimap-debug*, *imap-log* have not been created,
there's a problem on your end, that has nothing to do with the IMAP server.
You need to track that down, before dealing with your Internet provider.

As I mentioned, you need to find out *why* those buffers are not being
created.

Once you get that working correctly, you will be able to use the contents
of those buffers to determine whether you have a problem with IMAP.

--
Jim Davidson
jdavidson @ acm.org

* Re: Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-25 17:47                               ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roland Mas <mas@echo.fr> writes:

>>   My Internet provider asked me to give him a trace of the IMAP
>>   exchanges between its IMAP server and my client.
>
>   You can use Ethereal (or any other packet sniffer) for that.  I got
> a log this way (included at end of message).

Evaluating (setq imap-log "*imap-log*") also works.

> |< * 1 EXISTS
> |> 4 UID SEARCH RECENT
>
>   Hope it'll help.

I still dont understand what the problem is.  Is it the same as Jérôme
first reported in this thread?  If so, your mailbox only contain 1 old
message, so C-u RET is the way to display it.  Doesn't this work?

* Re: Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-25 17:32                             ` Roland Mas
From: Roland Mas @ 2001-08-25 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jérôme Marant (2001-08-25 01:35:39 +0200) :

>   My Internet provider asked me to give him a trace of the IMAP
>   exchanges between its IMAP server and my client.

  You can use Ethereal (or any other packet sniffer) for that.  I got
a log this way (included at end of message).

>   Moreover, I got a testimony from at least one person that could
>   not fetch the mail with nnimap from this problematic Internet
>   provider but succeeded with some others.

  If that was referring to me, I'm afraid I have to deny it.  I have
not succeeded any other IMAP access (the reason I thought it was
failing at work is simply that there's no IMAP server at work).

  Here goes the TCP session log.  Lines starting with "|> " are sent
by me, lines starting with "|< " are coming back from the server.

,----
`----

  Hope it'll help.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Luck, like a Russian car, generally only works if you push it.
  -- Regalian, in My Hero (Tom Holt)

* Re: Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-24 23:35                           ` Jérôme Marant
                                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2001-08-24 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Davidson <jdavidson@nospam.com> writes:

> You're confused.
>
> Your Internet provider is not going to give you access to logs.  More
> importantly, that's not where the problem lies; those buffers will be created
> even if the IMAP server isn't working.  The problem is at your end,
> and you need to debug your client to track it down.

  I think you missed the point, probably because my explainations were
  not good enough or my English not understandable.
  My Internet provider asked me to give him a trace of the IMAP exchanges
  between its IMAP server and my client.

> If you've set the above variables, and restarted Emacs, then you need to step
> through the relevant gnus functions, to see where things are going wrong.
>
> You should put a break in gnus-server-opened.  Check that it's eventually
> calling nnimap-server-opened.  Note that nnimap-server-opened will create the
> *nnimap-debug* buffer, independent of whether the IMAP server can be
> contacted.

  The connection itself went OK in any cases. I have the traces about it.

  [snip]

> Again, this is independent of whether the IMAP server can be contacted.

  It tryed with two other Internet providers and nnimap worked perfectly
  with them.

  Moreover, I got a testimony from at least one person that could not
  fetch the mail with nnimap from this problematic Internet provider
  but succeeded with some others.

  How would you explain that?

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome@marant.org>
              <jerome.marant@free.fr>

* Re: Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-24 21:48                             ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-24 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

jerome.marant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:

>   Moreover, I got a testimony from at least one person that could not
>   fetch the mail with nnimap from this problematic Internet provider
>   but succeeded with some others.
>
>   How would you explain that?

Without some output from e.g. (setq imap-log "*imap-log*") and a
description of the problem, it's hard to explain.

* Re: Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-24 17:34                         ` Jim Davidson
From: Jim Davidson @ 2001-08-24 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

jerome.marant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > jerome.marant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:
> >
> > >   I followed all what you adviced me to perform.
> > >   However, I guess I have to be able to enter the group if I want to
> > >   get those buffers. As I could not enter the buffer, I got no
> > >   *imap-debug* and no *nnimap-debug*.
> >
> > Hm.  Hmmm...  And if you write the two setq statements in your ~/.gnus
> > and restart Emacs and Gnus?
>
>   I've got the same result: *imap-debug* and *nnimap-debug* have not been
>   created ;(
>
>   I've contacted my Internet provider and it would be better for
>   him to have IMAP logs in order to see what could be wrong in
>   IMAP messages.
>
>   How can I get them?

You're confused.

Your Internet provider is not going to give you access to logs.  More
importantly, that's not where the problem lies; those buffers will be created
even if the IMAP server isn't working.  The problem is at your end,
and you need to debug your client to track it down.

If you've set the above variables, and restarted Emacs, then you need to step
through the relevant gnus functions, to see where things are going wrong.

You should put a break in gnus-server-opened.  Check that it's eventually
calling nnimap-server-opened.  Note that nnimap-server-opened will create the
*nnimap-debug* buffer, independent of whether the IMAP server can be
contacted.

Similarly, you should get to gnus-open-server and then nnimap-open-server,
which will actually attempt to open the connection.  By now both the
debug buffers should have lots of information in them.

@ 2001-08-24  7:21                       ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2001-08-24  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> jerome.marant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:
>
> >   I followed all what you adviced me to perform.
> >   However, I guess I have to be able to enter the group if I want to
> >   get those buffers. As I could not enter the buffer, I got no
> >   *imap-debug* and no *nnimap-debug*.
>
> Hm.  Hmmm...  And if you write the two setq statements in your ~/.gnus
> and restart Emacs and Gnus?

  I've got the same result: *imap-debug* and *nnimap-debug* have not been
  created ;(

  I've contacted my Internet provider and it would be better for
  him to have IMAP logs in order to see what could be wrong in
  IMAP messages.

  How can I get them?

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>

* Re: Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-23 15:52                     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-23 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

jerome.marant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:

>   I followed all what you adviced me to perform.
>   However, I guess I have to be able to enter the group if I want to
>   get those buffers. As I could not enter the buffer, I got no
>   *imap-debug* and no *nnimap-debug*.

Hm.  Hmmm...  And if you write the two setq statements in your ~/.gnus
and restart Emacs and Gnus?

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

* Re: Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-23  7:58                   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2001-08-23  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> jerome.marant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:
>
> > Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> >
> >> Idea:
> >>
> >> * start Gnus
> >> * M-: (setq imap-debug "*imap-debug*") RET
> >> * M-: (setq nnimap-debug "*nnimap-debug*") RET
> >> * Enter the group with C-u RET
> >> * Look in the two buffers *imap-debug* and *nnimap-debug* if you see
> >>   anything suspicious.
> >
> >   This doesn't work either. Since there are not news in the INBOX group,
> >   C-u RET tells me that I cannot enter the group.
>
> Did you follow the last item?  Did you look?  What did you see?

  I followed all what you adviced me to perform.
  However, I guess I have to be able to enter the group if I want to
  get those buffers. As I could not enter the buffer, I got no
  *imap-debug* and no *nnimap-debug*.

  As I said in my previous post, I succeeded in making nnimap work
  at work with the same IMAP server (UW IMAPD).
  At work, when I fetch my mail, I get a "nnimap+imap-work:INBOX"
  group with the correct number of fetched email.

  Could my problem come from a special configuration of the IMAP
  server?

  Cheers,

--

@ 2001-08-23  7:52                   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2001-08-23  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Also, if you look in the server buffer, is the nnimap server marked as
> `opened'?
>
> Evaluating the following
>
> M-: (setq imap-log "*imap-log*") RET
>
> and posting the contents of that buffer (after trying to enter the
> group) would also be useful.

  When I said I got nothing, it meant that these buffers have not
  been created despite the fact that I correctly evaluated
  these expressions.

  When are they meant to be created by gnus, i.e. what triggers
  their creation?

  Thanks.

--

@ 2001-08-22 19:22                 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-22 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2001-08-22  8:51                 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-22  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 22 Aug 2001, Jérôme Marant wrote:

> > * start Gnus
> > * M-: (setq imap-debug "*imap-debug*") RET
> > * M-: (setq nnimap-debug "*nnimap-debug*") RET
> > * Enter the group with C-u RET
> > * Look in the two buffers *imap-debug* and *nnimap-debug* if you see
> >   anything suspicious.
>
>   This doesn't work either. Since there are not news in the INBOX group,
>   C-u RET tells me that I cannot enter the group.

Could you expand on "doesn't work"?  The above is not meant to make
things work, just to provide more debugging information.  Could you post

@ 2001-08-22  7:44               ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2001-08-22  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Idea:
>
> * start Gnus
> * M-: (setq imap-debug "*imap-debug*") RET
> * M-: (setq nnimap-debug "*nnimap-debug*") RET
> * Enter the group with C-u RET
> * Look in the two buffers *imap-debug* and *nnimap-debug* if you see
>   anything suspicious.

  This doesn't work either. Since there are not news in the INBOX group,
  C-u RET tells me that I cannot enter the group.

  I tried to use nnimap as a secondary select method and it does not seem
  to work too. Now, I'm getting nnimap+Free:INBOX instead of INBOX as
  espected, but the number of read news is always 0.
  Typing "g" and "M-g" gives me the same result as when it was a primary
  method.

  Currently at work, I tried nnimap as a secondary method with SSL
  connection and I seems to work fine.
  The problem may come from the IMAP server itself I'm using for
  personnal email.

  I think I'll comme back with this when I would have found the
  problem.

  Until then, thanks for your help and your patience.

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>

http://jerome.marant.free.fr

* Re: Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-21 15:52             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-21 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jérôme Marant, ding

Jody Klymak <jklymak@OCE.ORST.EDU> writes:

> FWIW, I'll echo Jerome's question: why does gnus have secondary and
> primary methods?

Who knows.  Maybe for backward compatibility?  Users of the old GNUS
expected group names to be unadorned with a prefix.  But Lars needed
to do something to distinguish like-named groups on different
servers.  So he picked one server for unadorned group names.

People who don't need the distinction might wish to use nnnil.el as
the primary server (this backend contains no groups) and make all
servers secondary.

kai
--

@ 2001-08-21 15:08           ` Jody Klymak
From: Jody Klymak @ 2001-08-21 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jérôme Marant, ding

Hello,

I tried this a while ago (5.8.8 I think) and didn't get it to work.  I
didn't try very hard, since all the examples were for making it a
secondary-method, I switched it to a secondary-method.  Worked like a
charm.

FWIW, I'll echo Jerome's question: why does gnus have secondary and
primary methods?

Cheers,  Jody

> jerome.marant@idealx.com (Jérôme Marant) writes:
>
> > Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Ah, oh.  I now remember that nnimap is your primary select method.
> Then, of course, you will see INBOX.
>
> Hm.

* Re: Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-21 13:11             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-21 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

jerome.marant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:

>   After typing "A A", I do subscribe to INBOX with "u".
>   Then, I do "L" and I can see INBOX in the susbribed groups list.
>
>   0:INBOX
>
>   When I type "g" or "M-g" on INBOX, gnus tells me that there are no
>   news.
>
>   When I use C-u RET on INBOX, gnus tells me that it cannot enter
>   the Group.

Idea:

* start Gnus
* M-: (setq imap-debug "*imap-debug*") RET
* M-: (setq nnimap-debug "*nnimap-debug*") RET
* Enter the group with C-u RET
* Look in the two buffers *imap-debug* and *nnimap-debug* if you see
  anything suspicious.

Maybe you can also remove all passwords and suchlike from the buffers
and post them.  Maybe some IMAP guru can see what's going on.

kai
--

@ 2001-08-21 12:32               ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2001-08-21 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What you have told above looks as if the group in question was empty.
> Can you check with a different IMAP client whether you have mail at
> all?  Or maybe send yourself a test message.

  I tried to fetch my mail with fetchmail using IMAP and it works
  perfectly.

> But if you know for sure that you have some mail in your IMAP inbox,
> but Gnus doesn't see it, then something is wrong.  Alas, I have no
> idea what that could be.

  Yes.

> I don't remember the problems exactly.  I'm sure if you really wanted
> to know, you could search for the words "native" and "primary" in the
> archives of the Gnus mailing list...  But there will be a lot of
> hits.  Might be boring to find out.

  Thanks.

--

@ 2001-08-21 12:12             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-21 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

jerome.marant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Do you really get INBOX, or is it nnimap:INBOX, or nnimap+Free:INBOX?
>> Please be precise.
>
>   I'm sorry to bother you with this.

It was my problem.  I hadn't realized that you had this as the primary
select method, and therefor "INBOX" _was_ precise, already.

Please excuse.

>> Ah, oh.  I now remember that nnimap is your primary select method.
>> Then, of course, you will see INBOX.
>
>   Are primary and secondary select method conceptually different?
>   What's the difference?

Differences I can think of: groups from primary servers have names
without prefix, eg INBOX (a secondary group would be nnimap:INBOX, for
instance).

If you start Gnus with M-x gnus-no-server RET then it will not connect
to the primary server, only the secondary ones.

That's it, basically.

@ 2001-08-21  9:57           ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2001-08-21  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Do you really get INBOX, or is it nnimap:INBOX, or nnimap+Free:INBOX?
> Please be precise.

  I'm sorry to bother you with this.

  I do connect to the server (typing login and password) and then
  when I type A A, I get:

  *:INBOX
  *:INBOX/sent-mail
  *:nndraft.nndraft

@ 2001-08-21  9:29         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-21  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2001-08-21  8:01       ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2001-08-21  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-08-19 22:59     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-19 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jérôme Marant <jmarant@free.fr> writes:

> En réponse à Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE>:
>
>> jmarant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:
>>
>> >   I've been using gnus for a while now, and I'm trying to access
>> >   an IMAP server.
>> >   I configured nnimap, set my split rules and gnus is happy with
>> >   it. It  does connect fine to the server.
>> >   However, it is always telling me that there were no news.
>>
>> What did you do to configure nnimap and set your split rules?
>
> Here is the nnimap extract from my .gnus

Okay, that looks fine.  And when you start Gnus, does it show you a
group nnimap+Free:INBOX, as well as the other groups mentioned in the
split rule?

When you use RET to enter one of those groups, what do you see?

When you use C-u RET, instead, what do you see?

Can you use `j' from the Group buffer to go to one of these groups?

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

* Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-19 18:02 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2001-08-19 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  I've just subscribed to the list because i did not found any user
  list about gnus (i'm not a Usenet user). I know that this is a
  development list but please point me where i should post next time.

  I've been using gnus for a while now, and I'm trying to access
  an IMAP server.
  I configured nnimap, set my split rules and gnus is happy with
  it. It  does connect fine to the server.
  However, it is always telling me that there were no news.
  When using A A, I can see to folders INBOX and INBOX/sent-mail
  (they are those from my remote account) but with nothing in
  i.e. the number of threads is always 0, and none of my split rules
  folders have been created.

  I think I missed something with how IMAP functions but I don't know
  what.

  Do you have any idea? Thanks in advance.

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>
              <jerome@marant.org>

* Re: Using nnimap
@ 2001-08-19 16:42   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2001-08-19 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

En réponse à Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE>:

> jmarant@free.fr (Jérôme Marant) writes:
>
> >   I've been using gnus for a while now, and I'm trying to access
> >   an IMAP server.
> >   I configured nnimap, set my split rules and gnus is happy with
> >   it. It  does connect fine to the server.
> >   However, it is always telling me that there were no news.
>
> What did you do to configure nnimap and set your split rules?

Here is the nnimap extract from my .gnus

-=-=-=-=-=-

(require 'nnimap)

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "Free"
				  (nnimap-address "imap.free.fr")
				  (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))
				  (nnimap-stream network)
				  (nnimap-authenticator login)
				  (nnimap-expunge-on-close never)))

(setq nnimap-split-predicate "UNDELETED")

(setq nnimap-split-inbox '("INBOX"))

(setq nnimap-split-rule
      '(("INBOX.debian-user-french"
"^\\([Cc][Cc]\\|To\\):.*debian-\\(user\\)?-french@lists.debian.org")