* Is there a problem with this mailing list?
@ 1999-12-29 18:52 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-12-29 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In case this message actually gets through to the Gnus mailing list,
please excuse this post ... it's just that I have hardly seen any
messages here for the past few days and I'm trying to determine what's
going on.

I'd been seeing an average of more than 30 messages a day here, but
I've only received a total of 14 messages here between 24 December and
now (now being around 18:45 UCT on 29 December).

I'm curious to see if this particular message of mine will show up in
the list.  Also, I'd like to ask a favor of anyone who wants to help
me ... could one or more of you please send me a short email message
to my personal address (in the From: line and in my .signature, below)
if you see this message in the Gnus email list?

Also, if the list has been working fine for the rest of you these past
few days, could someone who manages the email list see if my particular
entry in the list had somehow gotten deleted or messed up?

Thanks in advance, and once again, pardon me for this off-topic message.

Happy New Year/Decade/Century/Millenium
      (or one-year-before-the-new-decade/century/millenium,
       if that suits you)

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

@ 1999-12-29 19:03 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1999-12-29 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
> please excuse this post ... it's just that I have hardly seen any
> messages here for the past few days and I'm trying to determine what's
> going on.

This is what is known in the vernacular as "the holidays". :-)

* Re: Is there a problem with this mailing list?
@ 1999-12-29 19:05 ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-12-29 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ljz

I, too, have seen *very* little traffic in the last 5 days. I was
attributing it to some people actually having a life (unlike me), with
christmass and all. ;^)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Also, if the list has been working fine for the rest of you these past
> few days, could someone who manages the email list see if my particular
> entry in the list had somehow gotten deleted or messed up?

You made it. ;^)
--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who

* Re: Is there a problem with this mailing list?
@ 1999-12-29 19:12   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-12-29 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> I, too, have seen *very* little traffic in the last 5 days. I was
> attributing it to some people actually having a life (unlike me), with
> christmass and all. ;^)

I thought so, too ... but then I realized that all my other mailing
lists and favorite newsgroups had plenty of traffic over the holidays.

Could it be that the population of the Gnus list really *do* have real
lives and in that way, really *are* different than the majority of us
net denizens?  :):)

> > Also, if the list has been working fine for the rest of you these past
> > few days, could someone who manages the email list see if my particular
> > entry in the list had somehow gotten deleted or messed up?
>
> You made it. ;^)

Thank you very much.

Anyway, I saw my own message here, and obviously, yours as well, so
probably the list is working fine ... but still, the huge drop-off in
postings over the past few days does seem to be a bit unusual.

Happy New-Whatever to you all!

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

@ 1999-12-29 19:22   ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 1999-12-29 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> I, too, have seen *very* little traffic in the last 5 days. I was
> attributing it to some people actually having a life (unlike me), with
> christmass and all. ;^)

Nope, no life, just the flu!

Slow day.  Practice crawling.

@ 1999-12-29 19:27   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 1999-12-29 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> wrote:

> This is what is known in the vernacular as "the holidays". :-)

        Please, stay polite when you talk about me :-)

--
    /     /   _   _       Didier Verna        http://www.inf.enst.fr/~verna/
 - / / - / / /_/ /        EPITA / LRDE            mailto:didier@epita.fr

* Re: Is there a problem with this mailing list?
@ 1999-12-29 19:30   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-12-29 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
> > please excuse this post ... it's just that I have hardly seen any
> > messages here for the past few days and I'm trying to determine what's
> > going on.
>
> This is what is known in the vernacular as "the holidays". :-)

I guess that most of the posters here went to visit some of the other
newsgroups and mailing lists for the holidays, because I still see
lots of traffic in my other newsgroups and subscribed lists ... :):):)

Because all these other groups still had plenty of traffic since 24
Dec., I thought that perhaps we might have been having a problem here.

But as I mentioned before, I guess that we folks in this group are
just ... er, different.  :)

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

@ 1999-12-29 19:38     ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1999-12-29 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:
>
> > I, too, have seen *very* little traffic in the last 5 days. I was
> > attributing it to some people actually having a life (unlike me), with
> > christmass and all. ;^)
>
> I thought so, too ... but then I realized that all my other mailing lists
> and favorite newsgroups had plenty of traffic over the holidays.
>
> Could it be that the population of the Gnus list really *do* have real
> lives and in that way, really *are* different than the majority of us net
> denizens?  :):)

Probably a good indicator. :) Lars occasionally drops off the radar to get
a life.  I met quite a few people on the list while in tokyo this year, and
they all seem to have lives.  Astonishing. :)

-Bill P.

* Re: Is there a problem with this mailing list?
@ 1999-12-29 20:46     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-29 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Could it be that the population of the Gnus list really *do* have
> real lives and in that way, really *are* different than the majority
> of us net denizens?  :):)

Well, Lars is our idol, and he has been having a life, lately.
Presumably, we have all tried to be like him!

(As far as I'm concerned, I have actually gotten to know a very
strange creature, I think it's called femilie or something like this.
It's very strange.  It seems it can be in two places at the same time:
you hear the toilet flushing while talking to it, even if you're not
in the bathroom.  Also, it seems to want to talk about unusual
subjects like the weather and what are we going to have for dinner.
And don't let me begin to talk about the food!  I mean, _proper_
dinner is a cold pizza or a cheeseburger and fries, right?  Not this
strange stuff called vedge-tables and sall-ade.  And they don't drink
coke like everyone else, they drink something called whine (what a
name) or jews (surely we wouldn't want to drink _people_???).  And
they keep strange pets.  This thing sure looked a lot like a fir tree,
but it seemed to be growing a beard or something -- in silver, of all
colors!  And these big ear-rings, more like spheres.  It didn't seem
to move much.  I tried to pet it, but it bit me, or stabbed me, or
something.  Ouch!)

kai

@ 1999-12-29 21:51       ` Hal Snyder
From: Hal Snyder @ 1999-12-29 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 367 bytes --]

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
> > Could it be that the population of the Gnus list really *do* have
> > real lives and ...

Bah, this having a life thing is overrated. I enjoy what I do.

[As Douglas Adams says, life is wasted on the living.]
--
Hal Snyder
Vail Systems, Inc

@ 1999-12-29 23:48         ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-12-29 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com> writes:

> Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:
>
> > Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
> >
> > > Could it be that the population of the Gnus list really *do* have
> > > real lives and ...
>
> Bah, this having a life thing is overrated. I enjoy what I do.
>
> [As Douglas Adams says, life is wasted on the living.]

That's true ... anything whose ultimate, deepest, most profound meaning
is 42 can't be all that great ...

Sincerely,

- Lloyd

P.S. -- "Life ... don't talk to me about life ..."

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-31  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> Nope, no life, just the flu!

Or -- life *and* the flu.  *cough*

Xmas holidays with the parents for me; but I had to be back before the
turning of all those numbers on the calendar.  Hey; isn't the world
supposed to start blowing up in a few hours?  Did we ever determine
what the speed of the millennium is?

Lars, bunkering down with guns, ammo, food & petrol.  And lots and
lots of mugs.  I'm going to be all set with mugs in the New World.
Mugs, mugs.

I think I'll go pack a few hundred more now.

(Oh, yeah, I didn't get to send out half as many mugs as I was
supposed to before the Xmas holiday because of that flu thing.  Monday
is Massive Shipping Day.  Well.  If we'll still have stuff like
"Mondays" after the world has ended.)

@ 1999-12-31  9:59       ` Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren
From: Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren @ 1999-12-31  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen]

| Xmas holidays with the parents for me; but I had to be back before the
| turning of all those numbers on the calendar.  Hey; isn't the world
| supposed to start blowing up in a few hours?  Did we ever determine

I've proposed an alternative millennial society: a society that believes
that nothing unnatural will happen and that the world will remain
essentially the same after both turn-of-the-millenium candidates.  we
could meet on January 1st 2001 to celebrate that we were right.  there's
no way we can lose: if we weren't right, nobody would be there to mock
us for being wrong.

it's a bit like racing my 18 months old daughter tho.  not much
excitement to it really.

--
Rolf Lindgren                                        http://www.uio.no/~roffe/
roffe@tag.uio.no