* Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 18:22 Harry Putnam
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-28 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I thought we could hilight a section of an article then press
F (or R) to rank only that section into reply.  I can't do that now.

I don't think it was a dream because I backed up to my previous
version of a couple weeks ago and it works again.

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 18:29 ` Karl Kleinpaste
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-01-28 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I thought we could hilight a section of an article then press
> F (or R) to rank only that section into reply.  I can't do that now.

As of updating this morning at 7:30 local time, I can do it, and
started this followup by doing so.

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 18:33 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-28 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I thought we could hilight a section of an article then press
> F (or R) to rank only that section into reply.  I can't do that now.
             ^^^^^

That was not an ethnocentric jab against the chinese... just a
misspelling :-)

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 18:47   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-28 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

>> I thought we could hilight a section of an article then press
>> F (or R) to rank only that section into reply.  I can't do that now.
>
> As of updating this morning at 7:30 local time, I can do it, and
> started this followup by doing so.

I wasn't sure how to tell what your `This morning' is compared to my
`This morning'.  My latest CVS update occured what will be about 1
hour ago by the time you see this.  And I cannot do it with that
version.

I'm going to grab the absolute latest in case its changed, and try
again but beyond that test, if it should turn out that a change
happened recently that cause the behavior I see, I wondered how to get
a specific verson of gnus.

This next section is addressed to the group at large not just Karl:

I know very little cvs but looking thru the docs, looks like I ask for
a certain revision, but it wasn't that clear how (the syntax) and how
first to determine what version is current.

For the last part, is `cvs status' the only way?  Can it be aimed at less
than `cvs status' ... That is lots of output.  Is there something
that just tells the whole gnus module's current version number?

cvs status gnus  tells me it knows nothing about gnus

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 18:57   ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-01-28 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> As of updating this morning at 7:30 local time, I can do it, and
> started this followup by doing so.

Definately doesn't work for me today...

--
Josh Huber

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 19:13     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-01-28 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:
> Definately doesn't work for me today...

I just did another update, to be sure I'm maximally recent.  The only
additional thing that changed is gnus-agent.el.  After re-make and
restart, it still works for me -- again, this followup started by
sweeping out the one sentence, followed by `F'.

XEmacs 21.4.6.

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 19:22     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-28 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Definately doesn't work for me today...

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> I just did another update, to be sure I'm maximally recent.  The only
> additional thing that changed is gnus-agent.el.  After re-make and
> restart, it still works for me -- again, this followup started by
> sweeping out the one sentence, followed by `F'.
>
> XEmacs 21.4.6.

Thanks for the updates...

I wondered if it might be related to differences between xemacs and
emacs but I see Josh and Karl are both running the same versions of
Xemacs except Joshs' is for powerpc-debian-linux

Can any one else verify troubles or not?

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 19:40     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-01-28 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I know very little cvs but looking thru the docs, looks like I ask
> for a certain revision, but it wasn't that clear how (the syntax)
> and how first to determine what version is current.

Files may have a sticky tag, locking it to a particular version, or
branch.  If you do
	cd wherever/gnus/
	cvs up -A
	cvs up -dP
you should be at the head of the trunk (aka. "main branch") of Gnus.

...if that's what you wanted to do...? :-)

> For the last part, is `cvs status' the only way?  Can it be aimed at
> less than `cvs status' ... That is lots of output.  Is there
> something that just tells the whole gnus module's current version
> number?

Not really, but you can do this:

Open a Gnus .el file in GNU emacs (I don't think XEmacs has this, but
for both GNU emacs, and XEmacs, "PCL-CVS" is recommended if you plan
to use CVS).

Observe that on the status bar it says "(Emacs-Lisp CVS-someversionnumber)"

Do `C-x v l'.  This will display the CVS log of the file.

Go to the start of the buffer displaying the log.  See the text
"symbolic names:".  Under that text, all tags in the CVS file for this
file, are listed.  When larsi stamp a particular release of Gnus, he
puts a tag for that release on a particular version of all files that
belong to the release.

> cvs status gnus  tells me it knows nothing about gnus

cd to the top level directory of your gnus checkout, and type "cvs
status".  That's probably what you're looking for.

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 20:00 ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2002-01-28 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> I thought we could hilight a section of an article then press
> F (or R) to rank only that section into reply.  I can't do that now.
>
> I don't think it was a dream because I backed up to my previous
> version of a couple weeks ago and it works again.

I remember that discussion but also can't do it, I get a

'Can't find article 80407'

in the *Messages* buffer

All the slow fish of ignorance
turned toward  the sound
-- Chase Twichell

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-01-28 20:58 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-01-28 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 28 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I thought we could hilight a section of an article then press
> F (or R) to rank only that section into reply.  I can't do that now.

for me it works fine for `R', but not for `F'. I'm not sure if it
worked with `F' before.

[gnus CVS checkout Mon Jan 21 12:20:24 CET 2002, GNU Emacs 21.1.1]

Bye, Reiner.

--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 21:16       ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-28 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I wondered if it might be related to differences between xemacs and
> emacs but I see Josh and Karl are both running the same versions of
> Xemacs except Joshs' is for powerpc-debian-linux
>
> Can any one else verify troubles or not?

I marked the region and typed F to reply this message. It is fine so
far.

ShengHuo

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 21:43         ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-01-28 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> I marked the region and typed F to reply this message. It is fine so
> far.

And it only yanked the marked region?  I just tested this again with
current CVS, and it looks like it only work for me when I reply, not
for followups.

perhaps it's time to check the code?

--
Josh Huber

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-28 22:30           ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-28 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> And it only yanked the marked region?  I just tested this again with
> current CVS, and it looks like it only work for me when I reply, not
> for followups.
>
> perhaps it's time to check the code?

It work fine for me in XEmacs too. One difference between reply and
followup is (mark) and (gnus-region-active-p).  I suspect
gnus-region-active-p doesn't work for you somehow.  Could you check
whether gnus-region-active-p is an alias of region-active-p in XEmacs?

Also, since we can use (mark) to check whether region is active, do we
really need gnus-region-active-p?

ShengHuo

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-29  0:31             ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-01-29  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> It work fine for me in XEmacs too. One difference between reply and
> followup is (mark) and (gnus-region-active-p).  I suspect
> gnus-region-active-p doesn't work for you somehow.  Could you check
> whether gnus-region-active-p is an alias of region-active-p in
> XEmacs?

It is, but for some reason, region-active-p isn't returning non-nil
for me...Ah, here is why:

Return non-nil if the region is active.
If `zmacs-regions' is true, this is equivalent to `region-exists-p'.
Otherwise, this function always returns false.

And...I have zmacs-regions disabled because the highlighting between
mark & point annoy me ;)

Why do we use mark for replies, and region-active-p for followups?
seems a little odd to me. (of course, this is without checking the
source...)

ttyl,

--
Josh Huber

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-29  1:18               ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-29  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> It work fine for me in XEmacs too. One difference between reply and
>> followup is (mark) and (gnus-region-active-p).  I suspect
>> gnus-region-active-p doesn't work for you somehow.  Could you check
>> whether gnus-region-active-p is an alias of region-active-p in
>> XEmacs?
>
> It is, but for some reason, region-active-p isn't returning non-nil
> for me...Ah, here is why:

I changed it to use `mark'.

ShengHuo

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-29  1:47       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-29  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

[...]
Thanks for the tips..

>> cvs status gnus  tells me it knows nothing about gnus
>
> cd to the top level directory of your gnus checkout, and type "cvs
> status".  That's probably what you're looking for.

No, I knew about that cvs status and mentioned it as being a little
over done ... gobbs of output.

I've since learned of cvs status -v path/to/filename

But really, it seems there just isn't any really handy way to tell if
enough changes have happened to warrent an cvs up.  I guess I was
looking for a command like  cvs -?  That would return something like:

  Gnus has had NUMBER of changes spanning NUMBER of lines of code, in
  these key well known top ten trend setter files.
  file1
  file2
  [...]

    Get a new one now or face the jeers of your peers.

I guess I'll stick with my script that calls
cd /usr/local/gnus
cvs status | my_script
It  processes the info  counting the number of files changed
with an awk regex /\tStatus: [^U]/.

If its more than 15 the script sends me mail.  Pretty primitive, maybe
I should refine it some more.

I wonder what others do.. probably some much smarter ways to do this.

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-29  2:01   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-29  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 28 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> I thought we could hilight a section of an article then press
>> F (or R) to rank only that section into reply.  I can't do that now.
>
> for me it works fine for `R', but not for `F'. I'm not sure if it
> worked with `F' before.

R works here too but with F:
I get the message others have mentioned about not finding the article NUMBER

My previous version... a few weeks ago worked with both.  I'm pretty
sure. I can check if necessary  the cvs info on gnus-sum.el in the
version that worked for me is:

CVS-6.159  The one that doesn't work for me is CVS-6.170
I'm not sure this is the file that does the job but a diff shows 266
lines of output.

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-29  2:38         ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2002-01-29  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But really, it seems there just isn't any really handy way to tell if
> enough changes have happened to warrent an cvs up.  I guess I was
> looking for a command like cvs -?  That would return something like:

cvs -n update will tell you what would be updated without actually doing
it.  That will at least tell you how many files have changed, although it
won't tell you by how much each file has changed.

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-29  9:50           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-29  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> cvs -n update will tell you what would be updated without actually doing
> it.  That will at least tell you how many files have changed, although it
> won't tell you by how much each file has changed.

Maybe "cvs diff -rHEAD" does that?

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-29  9:51         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-29  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I wonder what others do.. probably some much smarter ways to do this.

I just do "cvs up -dP", whether I need it or not.  Then I make a new
version.

kai
--

@ 2002-01-29 14:19     ` Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) @ 2002-01-29 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> R works here too but with F:
> I get the message others have mentioned about not finding the article NUMBER

Same behavior in Oort v0.05.

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-29 14:51       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-01-29 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 29 2002, Yair Friedman wrote:

>> R works here too but with F: I get the message others have
>> mentioned about not finding the article NUMBER
>
> Same behavior in Oort v0.05.

Now both, `F' and `R', work fine for me (ShengHuo fixed it, see
<2n665mara7.fsf@zsh.cs.rochester.edu>).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-30  8:34       ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2002-01-30  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

>> Definately doesn't work for me today...

For me it also works fine.

Emacs 21.1 / Ognus 0.06

--
Matthieu

* Re: Was I dreaming...?
@ 2002-01-30  9:05         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-30  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthieu Moy <matthieumNOSPAM@yahoo.com.invalid> writes:

> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:
>
>>> Definately doesn't work for me today...
>
> For me it also works fine.

All better for me now too... Egad ..does that xface have a heart beat?
Won't be long for somebody has one that reaces out and shakes your
hand ....

> Emacs 21.1 / Ognus 0.06
Ditto