* [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-21  4:23 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-12-21  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

WIBNI in the event a user had more than one nnml server, nnir would
prompt for the server name.  Gnus already has similar functions when
respooling, gnus prompts for server name.

In the meantime:

How can I set nnir to search a secondary nnml server?

Using glimpse - I've set the index directory apropriately for the
second nnml servers .glimpse files.

(setq nnir-glimpse-home "/home/reader/.glimpse-n2m")

The actual nnml files are not in my $HOME but on a separate partition
/mnt/pack/n2m/unix/path/group/*

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-21 21:19 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-21 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> WIBNI in the event a user had more than one nnml server, nnir would
> prompt for the server name.  Gnus already has similar functions when
> respooling, gnus prompts for server name.

I have already put `deal with multiple servers' on the todo list, but
haven't been able to do anything about it.  I haven't even finished
thinking up a design, much less the code.

Any ideas?

kai

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-22 10:54   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-12-22 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > WIBNI in the event a user had more than one nnml server, nnir would
> > prompt for the server name.  Gnus already has similar functions when
> > respooling, gnus prompts for server name.
>
> I have already put `deal with multiple servers' on the todo list, but
> haven't been able to do anything about it.  I haven't even finished
> thinking up a design, much less the code.

I guess it is more complex than using the server definition from the
server buffer to tell nnir where to conduct the search eh?

I thought maybe this could be set in a var somewhere but didn't know
where or how.

In my case it is a second nnml server, so not a different backend,
I'd like to search.  That server doesn't appear in "secondary select
methods" but does have a definition in server buffer, that lists the
main directory.

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-22 11:29     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-22 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I thought maybe this could be set in a var somewhere but didn't know
> where or how.

Well, you can manually change nnir-mail-backend; that's rather easy.
But there is no user-interface for this, yet.

You could do (setq nnir-mail-backend (nth X
gnus-secondary-select-methods)) for various small numbers X if all
your servers are secondary, as opposed to foreign.

Is there a list of foreign servers in some variable?  Couldn't find
one with M-x apropos RET foreign RET...

kai

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-22 13:11       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-12-22 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, you can manually change nnir-mail-backend; that's rather easy.
> But there is no user-interface for this, yet.
>
> You could do (setq nnir-mail-backend (nth X
> gnus-secondary-select-methods)) for various small numbers X if all
> your servers are secondary, as opposed to foreign.

What are you talking about above?  Can you spell it out a bit more?

The nnml server I want to have nnir search is not listed in
gnus-secondary-select-methods by name or number that var says:
gnus-secondary-select-methods's value is
((nnml ""))

An apparently related var says:
gnus-secondary-servers's value is
nil

However the server in question is listed in server buffer, an `e'
shows:

(nnml "n2m"
      (nnml-directory "/mnt/pack/n2m/")
      (nnml-active-file "/mnt/pack/n2m/active"))

If I happen to respool messages by nnml backend, gnus prompts me for
which nnml server I want.  I hoped to do something similar with nnir.

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-22 16:47         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-22 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Well, you can manually change nnir-mail-backend; that's rather easy.
> > But there is no user-interface for this, yet.
> >
> > You could do (setq nnir-mail-backend (nth X
> > gnus-secondary-select-methods)) for various small numbers X if all
> > your servers are secondary, as opposed to foreign.
>
> What are you talking about above?  Can you spell it out a bit more?

If you had both servers in gnus-secondary-select-methods, you could
have said

    M-: (setq nnir-mail-backend (nth 0 gnus-secondary-select-methods)) RET

to search the first one, and a similar line with 1 instead of 0 to
search the second one.

> However the server in question is listed in server buffer, an `e'
> shows:
>
> (nnml "n2m"
>       (nnml-directory "/mnt/pack/n2m/")
>       (nnml-active-file "/mnt/pack/n2m/active"))
>
> If I happen to respool messages by nnml backend, gnus prompts me for
> which nnml server I want.  I hoped to do something similar with nnir.

Well, it appears that gnus-opened-servers contains a list of all open
servers, so, hum.

Does the following do the trick (with M-:)?

(setq nnir-mail-backend (car (nth 0 gnus-opened-servers)))

Also try 1, 2 and so on instead of 0.

Like I said, it must be done manually right now, and I intend to add a
feature to nnir such that you can search several servers, but I
haven't been able to do it, yet.  I think it is more involved than
what is shown above.  For example, in addition to nnir-mail-backend
you need to set other variables, eg nnir-glimpse-home and so on.

kai

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-23  1:18           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-12-23  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> >
> > > Well, you can manually change nnir-mail-backend; that's rather easy.
> > > But there is no user-interface for this, yet.
> > >
> > > You could do (setq nnir-mail-backend (nth X
> > > gnus-secondary-select-methods)) for various small numbers X if all
> > > your servers are secondary, as opposed to foreign.
> >
> > What are you talking about above?  Can you spell it out a bit more?
>
> If you had both servers in gnus-secondary-select-methods, you could
> have said
>
>     M-: (setq nnir-mail-backend (nth 0 gnus-secondary-select-methods)) RET
>
> to search the first one, and a similar line with 1 instead of 0 to
> search the second one.
>
> > However the server in question is listed in server buffer, an `e'
> > shows:
> >
> > (nnml "n2m"
> >       (nnml-directory "/mnt/pack/n2m/")
> >       (nnml-active-file "/mnt/pack/n2m/active"))
> >
> > If I happen to respool messages by nnml backend, gnus prompts me for
> > which nnml server I want.  I hoped to do something similar with nnir.
>
> Well, it appears that gnus-opened-servers contains a list of all open
> servers, so, hum.
>
> Does the following do the trick (with M-:)?
>
> (setq nnir-mail-backend (car (nth 0 gnus-opened-servers)))
>
> Also try 1, 2 and so on instead of 0.
>
> Like I said, it must be done manually right now, and I intend to add a
> feature to nnir such that you can search several servers, but I
> haven't been able to do it, yet.  I think it is more involved than
> what is shown above.  For example, in addition to nnir-mail-backend
> you need to set other variables, eg nnir-glimpse-home and so on.

It doesn't seem to be working for me:
I've set `glimpse-home' as below:

(setq nnir-glimpse-home "/home/reader/.glimpse-n2m")

I hit the right server (from your suggestions) as below:

(setq nnir-mail-backend (car (nth 5 gnus-opened-servers)))
returns:
(nnml "n2m" (nnml-directory "/mnt/pack/n2m/") (nnml-active-file
"/mnt/pack/n2m/active"))

and finally resetting:

`nnir-glimpse-remove-prefix'
M-: (setq nnir-glimpse-remove-prefix "/mnt/pack/n2m")

And by jove, it all worked.

Just looking at what was returned when I evaled:
(setq nnir-mail-backend (car (nth 5 gnus-opened-servers)))

It appears that at least 2 of the pieces of information that nnir
needs, to search a different server, are in that return.

Seems that nnir could be made to snarf it up by prompting the user for
a server name, then scanning that list for a match, slurping up the
strip prefix and name as it goes.

All thats missing in that picture is  the proper glimpseindex
directory.

Maybe if nnir required the user to name the glimpse indexs after
server names it could find the right one by the information included in:
(nnml "n2m" (nnml-directory "/mnt/pack/n2m/") (nnml-active-file
"/mnt/pack/n2m/active"))

Or when prompting the user for server name.
Completion could be used against that list to help the user get the
name right.

Or possibly nnir could be made to manage the glimpseindexing part too,
and would retain the directory/server  names.

Prompt:  What server would you like to index today:    <n2m><RET>
<nnir scans the list of servers, finds the name and calls glimpse to
index those files>
Prompt: indexing n2m .glimpse_FILES written to ~/.glimpse-SERVERNAME

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-23  1:52             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-12-23  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:

> > > What are you talking about above?  Can you spell it out a bit more?
> >
> > If you had both servers in gnus-secondary-select-methods, you could
> > have said
> >
> >     M-: (setq nnir-mail-backend (nth 0 gnus-secondary-select-methods)) RET
> >
> > to search the first one, and a similar line with 1 instead of 0 to
> > search the second one.
> >
> > > However the server in question is listed in server buffer, an `e'
> > > shows:
> > >
> > > (nnml "n2m"
> > >       (nnml-directory "/mnt/pack/n2m/")
> > >       (nnml-active-file "/mnt/pack/n2m/active"))
> > >
> > > If I happen to respool messages by nnml backend, gnus prompts me for
> > > which nnml server I want.  I hoped to do something similar with nnir.
> >
> > Well, it appears that gnus-opened-servers contains a list of all open
> > servers, so, hum.
> >
> > Does the following do the trick (with M-:)?
> >
> > (setq nnir-mail-backend (car (nth 0 gnus-opened-servers)))
> >
> > Also try 1, 2 and so on instead of 0.
> >
> > Like I said, it must be done manually right now, and I intend to add a
> > feature to nnir such that you can search several servers, but I
> > haven't been able to do it, yet.  I think it is more involved than
> > what is shown above.  For example, in addition to nnir-mail-backend
> > you need to set other variables, eg nnir-glimpse-home and so on.

Wooops... major typing mistake below... It should say:
(sorry Kai)

> It doesn't seem to be working for me:
It *DOES* seem to be working for me:

> I've set `glimpse-home' as below:
>
> (setq nnir-glimpse-home "/home/reader/.glimpse-n2m")
>
> I hit the right server (from your suggestions) as below:

[...]

Goody... it working..!

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-23  9:51             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-23  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Just looking at what was returned when I evaled:
> (setq nnir-mail-backend (car (nth 5 gnus-opened-servers)))
>
> It appears that at least 2 of the pieces of information that nnir
> needs, to search a different server, are in that return.
>
> Seems that nnir could be made to snarf it up by prompting the user for
> a server name, then scanning that list for a match, slurping up the
> strip prefix and name as it goes.
>
> All thats missing in that picture is  the proper glimpseindex
> directory.

Yes, a lot of the necessary information seems to be in the server
parameters.  Hm.  I think the best approach would be to add the other
nnir information to the server parameters, too, such that you can edit
a server then add a parameter `nnir-glimpse-home' or somesuch which
points to the right directory.

I have now added this to the todo list.

kai

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-23 12:30               ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-12-23 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Just looking at what was returned when I evaled:
> > (setq nnir-mail-backend (car (nth 5 gnus-opened-servers)))
> >
> > It appears that at least 2 of the pieces of information that nnir
> > needs, to search a different server, are in that return.
> >
> > Seems that nnir could be made to snarf it up by prompting the user for
> > a server name, then scanning that list for a match, slurping up the
> > strip prefix and name as it goes.
> >
> > All thats missing in that picture is  the proper glimpseindex
> > directory.
>
> Yes, a lot of the necessary information seems to be in the server
> parameters.  Hm.  I think the best approach would be to add the other
> nnir information to the server parameters, too, such that you can edit
> a server then add a parameter `nnir-glimpse-home' or somesuch which
> points to the right directory.
>
> I have now added this to the todo list.

Well many servers do not allow editing.  The one in reference does
because I hand made that one, but the main originall nnml server does
not.  However that info seems to be available in
`gnus-opened-servers',

Would making nnir scan `gnus-opened-servers'  be cumbersom or
unwieldy? or just plain not smart.

Does having nnir manage the indexing part for glimpse or wais, and
naming the indexes after servers sound too crazy or programatically unsound?

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-23 14:01                 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-23 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Well many servers do not allow editing.  The one in reference does
> because I hand made that one, but the main originall nnml server does
> not.  However that info seems to be available in
> `gnus-opened-servers',

Well, editing the parameters for a secondary server means to edit the
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods ...) statement.

For example, I have the following:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnml ""))

I can change it as follows to include the (hypothetical) parameter
nnir-glimpse-home-dir:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnml "" (nnir-glimpse-home-dir "/foo/bar")))

The native select method (gnus-select-method) can be edited in a
similar way.

> Would making nnir scan `gnus-opened-servers'  be cumbersom or
> unwieldy? or just plain not smart.

I was thinking of having nnir scan gnus-opened-servers, but I wanted
the variable to contain more information.

> Does having nnir manage the indexing part for glimpse or wais, and
> naming the indexes after servers sound too crazy or programatically
> unsound?

I think I'll include default values based on your suggestion.  Then
people can either choose the right name for the glimpse index (then
they don't have to change the server), or they can change the server
(then they can use whatever they want for the glimpse index name).

Thanks for your suggestion to use sensible default values.  I'll put
it in the todo list.

kai

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-23 20:47                   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-12-23 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just tried to set up nnir to search my cache.  Since the cache is
handled by a different server, I reset nnir-mail-backend and
nnir-remove-prefix.  Since the directory path to my cache has too many
characters (according to running glimpse on the command line) I used a
regexp that worked on the command line.  So I tried using a similar
regexp for searching mail.  But now if I run glimpse as follows:

# wrapped by me for email readability
$ glimpse \
  -H /afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/incoming -W -l -y -i -F ^.*/dsg/\.Mail/ jni

I get this,

/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/programming/37
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/fvwm/19959
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/security/firewalls/288
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/ipmulticast/58
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/ipmulticast/83
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/personal/472
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/personal/475
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/msproxy/82
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/msproxy/134
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/msproxy/144
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/msproxy/160
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/efx/26
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/multicast/moie/11
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/multicast/moie/43
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/multicast/moie/51
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/multicast/moie/91
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/multicast/moie/101
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/multicast/moie/103
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/multicast/moie/104
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/multicast/moie/120
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/nccs/36
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/nccs/37
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/48
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g020/infosec/16
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g022/90
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/g022/100
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/secom/requests/615
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/secom/boundary/53
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/secom/desktop-crypt/96
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/secom/desktop-crypt/17
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/mitre/secom/desktop-crypt/40
/afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/ipmulticast/325

But if I run G G j n i <RET> and generate what appears to be the same
command line as above (according to C-h l:

glimpse args: -H /afs/rcf/user/dsg/.Mail/incoming -W -l -y -i -F
^.*dsg/\.Mail jni

), I get this:

(also wrapped by me)

Signaling: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  nnir-retrieve-headers((1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
  19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32) "((query . \"jni\"))"
  "-ephemeral" some)
  gnus-retrieve-headers((1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
  19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32) "nnir:((query
  . \"jni\"))" some)
  gnus-cache-retrieve-headers((1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
  17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32) "nnir:((query
  . \"jni\"))" some)
  gnus-retrieve-headers((1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
  19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32) "nnir:((query
  . \"jni\"))" some)
  gnus-select-newsgroup("nnir:((query . \"jni\"))" t nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnir:((query . \"jni\"))" t t nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nnir:((query . \"jni\"))" t t nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(t t "nnir:((query . \"jni\"))" nil)
  byte-code("..." [gnus-group-read-group t group select-articles] 5)
  gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group("((query . \"jni\"))" (nnir "") t
  (#<buffer "*Group*"> . group) nil)
  gnus-group-make-nnir-group(nil "jni")
  call-interactively(gnus-group-make-nnir-group)

What happened?  That seemed to work OK when I used a straight pathname
for nnir-remove-prefix.

(I'll try the cache search soon)

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: [nnir] WIBNI
@ 1999-12-23 21:21                     ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-12-23 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I love solving my own problems.

Turns out the problem was starting my regexp with ^.  nnir.el adds ^
to the remove-prefix itself.  I think it should check first, but
anyway, removing it fixes the problem for me.  I can now search my
mail and cache groups and am really really happy.  I just wrote a
couple of simple functions that set the nnir variables appropriately.

Point of info: to set nnir-mail-backend for the cache, I did:

(setq nnir-mail-backend (cdr (assoc "cache" gnus-server-alist)))

since the cache showed up at different places in gnus-opened-servers
in different runs of gnus.  YMMV.