* Trimming .gnus.registry.eieio?
@ 2019-02-19 17:19 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2019-02-19 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

I noticed that my .gnus.registry.eieio file had grown to about 27M. I
noticed this because saving it was taking a distinctly noticable
amount of time.

The gnus registry setup page has two examples of
gnus-registry-max-entries, 2,500 and 50,000. I had mine set to 20,000.

I set it back to 2,500, started gnus, saved the file (and saw a message
about saving 2256 entries) and quit gnus.

My .gnus.registry.eieio file is now 21M.

I wonder if, perhaps, something has gone wrong. I suppose I could just
delete the registry file and let it start over, but I wonder if
there’s something less dramatic that I could do to trim it back.

And since I’m asking, of 2,500 and 50,000, which is the more
reasonable max entries size?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | The Future is something which everyone
http://nwalsh.com/            | reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an
                              | hour, whatever he does, whoever he
                              | is.--C. S. Lewis

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Trimming .gnus.registry.eieio?
@ 2019-02-19 19:35 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-02-19 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that my .gnus.registry.eieio file had grown to about 27M. I
> noticed this because saving it was taking a distinctly noticable
> amount of time.
>
> The gnus registry setup page has two examples of
> gnus-registry-max-entries, 2,500 and 50,000. I had mine set to 20,000.
>
> I set it back to 2,500, started gnus, saved the file (and saw a message
> about saving 2256 entries) and quit gnus.
>
> My .gnus.registry.eieio file is now 21M.

It's pretty surprising that reducing the number of saved entries by a
factor of ten only reduced the file size by 25% or so.

> I wonder if, perhaps, something has gone wrong. I suppose I could just
> delete the registry file and let it start over, but I wonder if
> there’s something less dramatic that I could do to trim it back.

Theoretically, reducing `gnus-registry-max-entries' is what you do to
trim it back! What's your value of `gnus-registry-track-extra'? That
might contribute to a larger file size.

> And since I’m asking, of 2,500 and 50,000, which is the more
> reasonable max entries size?

It totally depends on what you use the registry for. By default it
really doesn't do anything. It only comes into play if you use it to
store custom flags, or use it in splitting rules to split mail to its
parent, or use it for some other nefarious purpose. I think it can
sometimes be used in thread gathering? I forget.

Anyway, it depends on what you're using it for. If splitting, then you
want a fairly large registry, so it stands a good chance of finding the
parent. If storing custom information, maybe something smaller, because
you're unlikely to be storing custom information for 50,000 messages.

Hth,
Eric

* Re: Trimming .gnus.registry.eieio?
@ 2019-02-19 20:18   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2019-02-19 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Theoretically, reducing `gnus-registry-max-entries' is what you do to
> trim it back! What's your value of `gnus-registry-track-extra'? That
> might contribute to a larger file size.

The relevant settings appear to be:

(setq gnus-registry-max-entries          20000
      gnus-registry-split-strategy       nil
      gnus-registry-use-long-group-names t
      gnus-registry-track-extra          '(recipient))

I’m reasonably sure that gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent is the
only thing I’m using it for. Not sure why I put ‘recipient’ in there.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Those who in their youth did not live
http://nwalsh.com/            | in self-harmony, and who did not gain

@ 2019-02-19 22:40   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2019-02-19 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> > My .gnus.registry.eieio file is now 21M.
>
> It's pretty surprising that reducing the number of saved entries by a
> factor of ten only reduced the file size by 25% or so.

Do we know if the original higher limit had ever been reached?

Michael.

* Re: Trimming .gnus.registry.eieio?
@ 2019-02-20  1:06     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-02-20  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: ding

>> > My .gnus.registry.eieio file is now 21M.
>>
>> It's pretty surprising that reducing the number of saved entries by a
>> factor of ten only reduced the file size by 25% or so.
>
> Do we know if the original higher limit had ever been reached?

Good question -- I was just assuming that everyone's registry is already
full to the brim.

* Re: Trimming .gnus.registry.eieio?
@ 2019-02-20  1:13     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-02-20  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

>> Theoretically, reducing `gnus-registry-max-entries' is what you do to
>> trim it back! What's your value of `gnus-registry-track-extra'? That
>> might contribute to a larger file size.
>
> The relevant settings appear to be:
>
> (setq gnus-registry-max-entries          20000
>       gnus-registry-split-strategy       nil
>       gnus-registry-use-long-group-names t
>       gnus-registry-track-extra          '(recipient))
>
> I’m reasonably sure that gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent is the
> only thing I’m using it for. Not sure why I put ‘recipient’ in there.

Well if you're using it for splitting then you probably do want to keep
a slightly larger registry, you never know when you'll get a followup to
an existing message. You can also use `gnus-registry-ignored-groups' to
restrict entry collection to groups you care about.

* Re: Trimming .gnus.registry.eieio?
@ 2019-02-20  7:39     ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2019-02-20  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: ding

Dear Norman,

    >> Theoretically, reducing `gnus-registry-max-entries' is what you
    >> do to trim it back! What's your value of
    >> `gnus-registry-track-extra'? That might contribute to a larger
    >> file size.

    > The relevant settings appear to be:

    > (setq gnus-registry-max-entries 20000
    > gnus-registry-split-strategy nil
    > gnus-registry-use-long-group-names t
    > gnus-registry-track-extra '(recipient))

There appears to be no variable "gnus-registry-use-long-group-names", at
least in gnus v5.13. Could this be significant?

Best wishes

--
Colin Baxter
m43cap@yandex.com