From: Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Overbearing undownloaded face
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 16:46:47 -0700	[thread overview]

> Hm. I must be missing some kind of use people make of the face.

At one time I was a heavy user of the agent.  I can tell you that it
can be confusing in a group that you read both on and off line.  I
often had to back up and download a message that I had read on line
but never downloaded.  Back then you couldn't tell.  It just showed
read. (While online) So I can see some value in somekind of indicator.
that is present even when online. What I take issue with is again
related to reading both on and off line on the same server.

The undownloaded face server to show whether something is written to
disk or not, but I think it should not over shadow other usefull
marks one might want to use.  So, I wonder if there is isn't some
other way to indicate downloadedness.  Not use a face at all.

Kai says that is orthogonal thinking.  Running at right angles I guess
he means, or talking apples and oranges.  But can't we use something
in summary format line to indicate the downloadedness of an article
and just drop the undownloaded faces?

As Kevin pointed out that last part can be done by removing the 3
default cons cells pertaining to downloadedness at
gnus-summary-highlight.  That returns you to pre downloaded face
behavior, which I favor.  But since I see usefullness in knowing
downloadedness can't we do it another way that doesn't use an all
powerfull face?