* B m creates duplicates?
@ 1997-05-17 16:27 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1997-05-17 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello world,

I've just started using "B m" to move mail between groups
(mostly so I can have even greater refinement than I can
practically create with procmail) and I notice that articles
moved this way are flagged as duplicates.

Since I'm moving them, not copying them or otherwise duplicating
them, I think this is a bug.  It's not a serious one, since I
can just go through and tick them as unread, but...FYI...

--norm

* Re: B m creates duplicates?
@ 1997-05-19  0:30 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-05-19  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <norm@berkshire.net> writes:

> I've just started using "B m" to move mail between groups
> (mostly so I can have even greater refinement than I can
> practically create with procmail) and I notice that articles
> moved this way are flagged as duplicates.

Uhm...  What do you mean by that they are "flagged as duplicates"?
What does this flag look like?

* Re: B m creates duplicates?
@ 1997-05-19 12:51   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1997-05-19 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Norman Walsh <norm@berkshire.net> writes:
>> I've just started using "B m" to move mail between groups (mostly
>> so I can have even greater refinement than I can practically create
>> with procmail) and I notice that articles moved this way are
>> flagged as duplicates.

> Uhm...  What do you mean by that they are "flagged as duplicates"?
> What does this flag look like?

I bet he means they're flagged with a 'M' in the summary buffer of the
group they've been moved to if you read it in the same session you did
the move (did that sentence actually parse?).  I've seen this too,
though I'm not really bothered by it.  They don't show up as duplicate
if you read them in a subsequent session of gnus.  I'm guessing they
should be removed from the message-id cache as part of the move.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: B m creates duplicates?
@ 1997-05-19 15:16     ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1997-05-19 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, David S. Goldberg

dsg@linus.mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> > Norman Walsh <norm@berkshire.net> writes:
> >> I've just started using "B m" to move mail between groups (mostly
> >> so I can have even greater refinement than I can practically create
> >> with procmail) and I notice that articles moved this way are
> >> flagged as duplicates.
>
> > Uhm...  What do you mean by that they are "flagged as duplicates"?
> > What does this flag look like?
>
> I bet he means they're flagged with a 'M' in the summary buffer of the
> group they've been moved to if you read it in the same session you did
> the move (did that sentence actually parse?).  I've seen this too,
> though I'm not really bothered by it.  They don't show up as duplicate
> if you read them in a subsequent session of gnus.  I'm guessing they
> should be removed from the message-id cache as part of the move.

What he said ;-)

--norm

* Re: B m creates duplicates?
@ 1997-05-19 18:55       ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1997-05-19 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <norm@berkshire.net> writes:

> dsg@linus.mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> > > Uhm...  What do you mean by that they are "flagged as duplicates"?
> > > What does this flag look like?
> >
> > I bet he means they're flagged with a 'M' in the summary buffer of the
> > group they've been moved to if you read it in the same session you did
> > the move (did that sentence actually parse?).  I've seen this too,
> > though I'm not really bothered by it.  They don't show up as duplicate
> > if you read them in a subsequent session of gnus.  I'm guessing they
> > should be removed from the message-id cache as part of the move.
>
> What he said ;-)

Ah, but one more point.  I happen to be running 5.4.45 on another
machine and that version _does not_ exhibit the duplicate problem.
I was running 5.4.52 under NT when I saw the problem.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <nwalsh@arbortext.com> | The eternal mystery of the world
Senior Application Analyst          | is its comprehensibility. -- A.

* Re: B m creates duplicates?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-05-20 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@linus.mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> I'm guessing they should be removed from the message-id cache as
> part of the move.

Yup.  Fix in Gnus v5.4.54.