* Difference between nnmail- and gnus- variables?
@ 2021-08-03 11:26 Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-08-03 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Users

A few days back I was trying to setup ‘nnmail-list-identifiers’. It did
not work for me. May be because some additional settings must be
required. I asked a question here... why my setup is not
working. In-replies, I got to understand that my settings are
ok. Because the same settings are working elsewhere.

In the replies, I came across a similar variable
‘gnus-list-identifiers’. Setting this variable worked. Without any
hassle.

Similar thing happened with me when I was setting mail splitting.

I want to understand the nomenclature. What is the difference between
‘nnml-’ and similar ‘gnus-’ variables?

--
Regards ~Pankaj

* Re: Difference between nnmail- and gnus- variables?
@ 2021-08-03 17:21 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-08-03 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Users

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> A few days back I was trying to setup ‘nnmail-list-identifiers’. It did
> not work for me. May be because some additional settings must be
> required. I asked a question here... why my setup is not
> working. In-replies, I got to understand that my settings are
> ok. Because the same settings are working elsewhere.
>
> In the replies, I came across a similar variable
> ‘gnus-list-identifiers’. Setting this variable worked. Without any
> hassle.
>
> Similar thing happened with me when I was setting mail splitting.
>
> I want to understand the nomenclature. What is the difference between
> ‘nnml-’ and similar ‘gnus-’ variables?

In OO terms, nnmail.el can be thought of as an abstract parent class for
all backends belonging to the "store messages as files on disk" type of
server. It provides settings and functions that are used in common by
nnml, nnmbox, nnmaildir, etc.

In this particular case, though, `nnmail-list-identifiers' is only used
within `nnmail-remove-list-identifiers', which isn't actually called by
Gnus anywhere, it's just provided as a function that you could
potentially use as part of the `nnmail-prepare-incoming-header-hook'.
See the "Washing Mail" section of the manual.

The `gnus-' version, by contrast, gets called automatically as part of
message display.

I know it's not intuitive...

* Re: Difference between nnmail- and gnus- variables?
@ 2021-08-03 17:59   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-08-03 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:
>
>> I want to understand the nomenclature. What is the difference between
>> ‘nnml-’ and similar ‘gnus-’ variables?
>
> In OO terms, nnmail.el can be thought of as an abstract parent class for
> all backends belonging to the "store messages as files on disk" type of
> server. It provides settings and functions that are used in common by
> nnml, nnmbox, nnmaildir, etc.

This clarifies a lot of things for me. Especially, it is now clear that
this won’t work in my case. Because I am using IMAP.

> In this particular case, though, `nnmail-list-identifiers' is only used
> within `nnmail-remove-list-identifiers', which isn't actually called by
> Gnus anywhere, it's just provided as a function that you could
> potentially use as part of the `nnmail-prepare-incoming-header-hook'.
> See the "Washing Mail" section of the manual.
>
> The `gnus-' version, by contrast, gets called automatically as part of
> message display.

Thanks or all the information.

* Re: Difference between nnmail- and gnus- variables?
@ 2021-08-03 18:04     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-08-03 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

>> Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:
>>
>>> I want to understand the nomenclature. What is the difference between
>>> ‘nnml-’ and similar ‘gnus-’ variables?
>>
>> In OO terms, nnmail.el can be thought of as an abstract parent class for
>> all backends belonging to the "store messages as files on disk" type of
>> server. It provides settings and functions that are used in common by
>> nnml, nnmbox, nnmaildir, etc.
>
> This clarifies a lot of things for me. Especially, it is now clear that
> this won’t work in my case. Because I am using IMAP.

nnimap mostly uses nnmail for its splitting functions, and it looks like
its expiry settings as well -- that's pretty much it.

* Re: Difference between nnmail- and gnus- variables?
@ 2021-08-04  7:58       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-08-04  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> In OO terms, nnmail.el can be thought of as an abstract parent class for
>>> all backends belonging to the "store messages as files on disk" type of
>>> server. It provides settings and functions that are used in common by
>>> nnml, nnmbox, nnmaildir, etc.
>>
>> This clarifies a lot of things for me. Especially, it is now clear that
>> this won’t work in my case. Because I am using IMAP.
>
> nnimap mostly uses nnmail for its splitting functions, and it looks like
> its expiry settings as well -- that's pretty much it.

Ok. I got a little confused by "store messages as file on disk". Since
IMAP backend is like nntp because mails are mostly controlled by the
server. I thought you are referring to the backends which manages emails
themselves.

And since my nnmail-list-identifiers setting did not work and
gnus-list-identifiers worked immediately. So this reaffirmed my (wrong)
understanding.

* Re: Difference between nnmail- and gnus- variables?
@ 2021-08-04 17:59         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-08-04 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> This clarifies a lot of things for me. Especially, it is now clear that
>>> this won’t work in my case. Because I am using IMAP.
>>
>> nnimap mostly uses nnmail for its splitting functions, and it looks like
>> its expiry settings as well -- that's pretty much it.
>
> Ok. I got a little confused by "store messages as file on disk". Since
> IMAP backend is like nntp because mails are mostly controlled by the
> server. I thought you are referring to the backends which manages emails
> themselves.

IMAP is a little odd just because it's kind of in between: the server
handles message storage, but the user "owns" the mail in the sense that
they're allowed to split, move, expire, etc. So some of the nnmail stuff
is relevant (splitting), but not most of it. A "real" nnmail backend is
one that ends up calling `nnmail-get-new-mail'.

* Re: Difference between nnmail- and gnus- variables?
@ 2021-08-05  6:05           ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-08-05  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> IMAP is a little odd just because it's kind of in between: the server
> handles message storage, but the user "owns" the mail in the sense that
> they're allowed to split, move, expire, etc. So some of the nnmail stuff
> is relevant (splitting), but not most of it. A "real" nnmail backend is
> one that ends up calling `nnmail-get-new-mail'.

Thanks for the clarification.