* Downloading articles into the agent
@ 1997-05-27 12:51 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-05-27 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, I've create a new mode where you can create "categories", which
groups can belong to.  A category is simply a predicate (of sorts):

(& (! spam)
   short
   high)

If a group belongs to this category, the articles will only be
downloaded if they aren't spam (which is determined on a
subject/references/from basis), they are short (less than 100 lines)
and have a high score.

And that last bit is the problem.  We don't want to use the normal
scoring mechanism here, because reading score and downloading scores
should be separate things.  Besides, doing proper scoring (for each
group) when downloading will be much too slow.  So.

I guess I can hack up the score functions to work when a summary
buffer isn't actually being generated.  (It'll only be possible to
score on the NOV headers, though.)

But where should the score expressions to be used be defined?  Hm.  I
guess it could be connected to the category.  So the category would
then contain three things -- the predicate, the score expression, and
the list of groups in the category.  Yes...

Ok, forget I asked.  :-)

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen