* Pre-sale leftovers
@ 2003-04-14 19:28 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-14 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

To see whether the machinery is working properly (and because I found
a sack of (ding) t-shirts while rummaging through the mail-order
stuff), I think doing a pre-sale before Oort would be nice.

On offer: Five (count-em-five) (ding) t-shirts in various colours.
These were produced in the previous millennium, and for some reason
or other managed to hide away in a burlap sack under a bunch of other
things.  Vintage!  Unused!  Really!

And: 19 Pterodactyl Gnus mugs that were stashed behind the
loud-speakers under the desk in the bedroom office.  Not so vintage!
Slightly dusty!  But clean!  (1 silver print; 18 red print.)

First come, first served, etc.

* Re: Pre-sale leftovers
@ 2003-04-14 20:42 ` Jochen Küpper
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2003-04-14 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 21:28:32 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

Lars> To see whether the machinery is working properly (and because I found
Lars> a sack of (ding) t-shirts while rummaging through the mail-order
Lars> stuff), I think doing a pre-sale before Oort would be nice.

Ok, I have managed to order (easy) and pay a shirt (not so easy).

I had the problem before, but having an US and an international
account is not allowed, and if you want to use the same credit card
not even possible. (Generally you cannot have two accounts with
overlapping payment methods:() There are also problems with
international addresses on US accounts, and with US credit cards and
international addresses. Looks overall pretty messy to me, but you
should have the money now:(After a few rounds of deleting old and
creating new accounts:)

In that case the money really arrives I'd say it worked. But it took
quite a few minutes... What again where the alternatives, and why
don't you use them? I.e. what is the problem with simply accepting
credit cards?

Greetings,
Jochen
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 185 bytes --]

* Re: Pre-sale leftovers
@ 2003-04-15  9:32   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-15  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Küpper <jochen@jochen-kuepper.de> writes:

> In that case the money really arrives I'd say it worked. But it took
> quite a few minutes...

Yes, it's certainly not ideal.  *sigh*

> What again where the alternatives, and why don't you use them?
> I.e. what is the problem with simply accepting credit cards?

To take Visa I have to do the following:

1) Fill in the Visa slip manually with name, number, expiration,
date, and amount
2) *Phone* Visa and beep at them (which I've written a program to do,
but it still requires me to sit there hittin RET for 30 seconds
3) Fill in the auth code
4) Send it all off to Visa by mail

Now, all of this is OK except the 2) bit, which is really boring
after you've done it a hundred times.

And Visa doesn't seem to offer any on-line (or scriptable) interface
to the auth stuff for smaller entities.

* Re: Pre-sale leftovers
@ 2003-04-15 10:22   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-15 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

The PayPal docs suck.  At least for international trade.

They really do charge $1.95 (refundable) for people paying from
outside the US, so that's pretty useless.

So I've reinstated Visa payment.

* Re: Pre-sale leftovers
@ 2003-04-15 11:40   ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-04-15 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Küpper <jochen@jochen-kuepper.de> writes:

> In that case the money really arrives I'd say it worked. But it took
> quite a few minutes... What again where the alternatives, and why
> don't you use them? I.e. what is the problem with simply accepting
> credit cards?

Or letters with good old physical money.

--
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy,
the best golfer is a black guy, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France

* Re: Pre-sale leftovers
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-15 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> Or letters with good old physical money.

People order stuff and don't send money.  It's work keeping track of.

* Re: Pre-sale leftovers
@ 2003-04-15 16:46     ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2003-04-15 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:32:33 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

Lars> 2) *Phone* Visa and beep at them (which I've written a program to do,
Lars> but it still requires me to sit there hittin RET for 30 seconds

Oh, now I understand that you have to do that for every single
payment. sigh:(Screw them:)

Greetings,
Jochen
--
FOM-Institute for Plasma Physics "Rijnhuizen" + Fritz-Haber-Institut der MPG
Postbus 1207                                                  Faradayweg 4-6

phone: +31-30-6096756
fax: +31-30-6031204                                      GnuPG key: CC1B0B4D

@ 2003-04-15 17:49     ` Romain FRANCOISE
From: Romain FRANCOISE @ 2003-04-15 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> To take Visa I have to do the following:

> 1) Fill in the Visa slip manually with name, number, expiration,
> date, and amount
> 2) *Phone* Visa and beep at them (which I've written a program to do,
> but it still requires me to sit there hittin RET for 30 seconds
> 3) Fill in the auth code
> 4) Send it all off to Visa by mail

Jeez.  Let's hope everything will work OK with the shirts and not screw
up like it did for the Quassia Gnus caps, because going through this
AND losing money would probably mean the end of Gnus paraphernalia,
this time for good.    :-|

--
Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> | And you never lay down and
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | you never stay home...

* Re: Pre-sale leftovers
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-15 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Jeez.  Let's hope everything will work OK with the shirts and not screw
> up like it did for the Quassia Gnus caps, because going through this
> AND losing money would probably mean the end of Gnus paraphernalia,
> this time for good.    :-|

Nah.  Repetetive work fun.  Me like fun.