* Are webmail.el & some files under contrib dir still useful or usable?
@ 2010-09-29 16:13 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2010-09-29 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

webmail.el provideds interface to web mail service like hotmail, yahoo,
netscape, netaddress, my-deja etc. I wonder if it's still useful now.

Seems netscape/my-deja etc are out of service. At least they should be
removed.

Under contrib/ dir, one-line-cookie.diff is for patching w3 4.0pre46 to
use with webmail.el (refer to Gnus manual). So it may be candidate for
removal.

Gnus supports Emacs 22+ (am I right?) now. So
sendmail.el/smtpmail.el/ucs-table.el can be removed since they are all
bundled with Emacs (from 22 & 21).

Maybe someone who uses w3 could test if webmail.el still works for
services it means to support.

* Re: Are webmail.el & some files under contrib dir still useful or usable?
@ 2010-09-29 19:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-29 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

CHENG Gao <chenggao@cyberhut.org> writes:

> Seems netscape/my-deja etc are out of service. At least they should be
> removed.

Yup; removed.

> Under contrib/ dir, one-line-cookie.diff is for patching w3 4.0pre46 to
> use with webmail.el (refer to Gnus manual). So it may be candidate for
> removal.

I don't know if webmail.el is used at all any more.  There's been no
major updates since 1999, apparently.

Should I just remove webmail.el altogether?

> Gnus supports Emacs 22+ (am I right?) now. So
> sendmail.el/smtpmail.el/ucs-table.el can be removed since they are all
> bundled with Emacs (from 22 & 21).

Ok, removed.  Hm...  but are they needed for XEmacs support, by any
chance?

* Re: Are webmail.el & some files under contrib dir still useful or usable?
@ 2010-09-29 19:22   ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2010-09-29 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Sep 29 2010, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> I don't know if webmail.el is used at all any more.  There's been no
> major updates since 1999, apparently.
>
> Should I just remove webmail.el altogether?

I think so.

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <julien@danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info

* Re: Are webmail.el & some files under contrib dir still useful or usable?
@ 2010-09-30  6:07   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2010-09-30  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

*On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:16:22 +0200
* Also sprach Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>:

> CHENG Gao <chenggao@cyberhut.org> writes:
>
>> Seems netscape/my-deja etc are out of service. At least they should be
>> removed.
>
> Yup; removed.
>
>> Under contrib/ dir, one-line-cookie.diff is for patching w3 4.0pre46 to
>> use with webmail.el (refer to Gnus manual). So it may be candidate for
>> removal.
>
> I don't know if webmail.el is used at all any more.  There's been no
> major updates since 1999, apparently.
>
> Should I just remove webmail.el altogether?

Yes IMHO.

It supports hotmail/netaddress/yahoo now. But:

netaddress is a commercial service, and provideds POP/IMAP.

As I know, yahoo/hotmail provides POP now.

If webmail.el is to be removed, contrib/one-line-cookie.diff can be removed also
since it's only for pacthing w3 (4pre46) to use with wembail.el.

>> Gnus supports Emacs 22+ (am I right?) now. So
>> sendmail.el/smtpmail.el/ucs-table.el can be removed since they are all
>> bundled with Emacs (from 22 & 21).
>
> Ok, removed.  Hm...  but are they needed for XEmacs support, by any
> chance?

I just checked xemacs site, and found out its mail-lib package has
sendmail.el and smtpmail.el. So I supppose it wont hurt anyone.

* Re: Are webmail.el & some files under contrib dir still useful or usable?
@ 2010-09-30  6:58   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-09-30  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Sep 29 2010, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> CHENG Gao <chenggao@cyberhut.org> writes:
>> Gnus supports Emacs 22+ (am I right?) now.

(info "(gnus)Emacsen") should be updated if this is official now.

>> So sendmail.el/smtpmail.el/ucs-table.el can be removed since they
>> are all bundled with Emacs (from 22 & 21).
>
> Ok, removed.  Hm...  but are they needed for XEmacs support, by any
> chance?

Nope.  Please remember to update contrib/README when removing stuff
there.

,----[ contrib/README ]

`----

,----[ contrib/ucs-tables.el ]
| (when (featurep 'xemacs)
|   (error "This file cannot be used with XEmacs.  For XEmacs, use latin-unity instead"))
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Are webmail.el & some files under contrib dir still useful or usable?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-30 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Nope.  Please remember to update contrib/README when removing stuff
> there.

Ok; done.

* Re: Are webmail.el & some files under contrib dir still useful or usable?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-30 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

CHENG Gao <chenggao@cyberhut.org> writes:

> It supports hotmail/netaddress/yahoo now. But:
>
> netaddress is a commercial service, and provideds POP/IMAP.
>
> As I know, yahoo/hotmail provides POP now.

Ok; I'll delete webmail.el and related stuff.