* Re: And, bump again.
       [not found] <m27gm31zny.fsf@boostpro.com>
@ 2013-03-03 12:49 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-03-03 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> * I would like to remove the check for virtual-ness in
>   gnus-warp-to-article.
>
> * I believe that removal to be OK.  I'll test it here, of course, and
>   I'm a daily user of warping.

I'm not familiar with the warping stuff, so somebody who uses this
should respond to this...

* Re: And, bump again.
@ 2013-03-03 13:41   ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2013-03-03 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun 03 Mar 2013, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> * I would like to remove the check for virtual-ness in
>>   gnus-warp-to-article.
>>
>> * I believe that removal to be OK.  I'll test it here, of course, and
>>   I'm a daily user of warping.
>
> I'm not familiar with the warping stuff, so somebody who uses this
> should respond to this...

...and while this is being worked on, they could fix the manual. The
term "warp" is used, but never defined, leaving the user with no idea as
to it's purpose.

    AndyM

* Re: And, bump again.
@ 2013-03-03 20:02   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2013-03-03 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Sun Mar 03 2013, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> * I would like to remove the check for virtual-ness in
>>   gnus-warp-to-article.
>>
>> * I believe that removal to be OK.  I'll test it here, of course, and
>>   I'm a daily user of warping.
>
> I'm not familiar with the warping stuff, so somebody who uses this
> should respond to this...

OK, how about this;  I'm going to make one more post with "warping" in
the title, and if nobody answers in a week, we can assume I'm the only
one "who uses this" enough to respond.

--
Dave Abrahams

* Re: And, bump again.
@ 2013-03-03 23:19     ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2013-03-03 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun 03 Mar 2013, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> on Sun Mar 03 2013, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:
>
>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>>
>>> * I would like to remove the check for virtual-ness in
>>>   gnus-warp-to-article.
>>>
>>> * I believe that removal to be OK.  I'll test it here, of course, and
>>>   I'm a daily user of warping.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the warping stuff, so somebody who uses this
>> should respond to this...
>
> OK, how about this;  I'm going to make one more post with "warping" in
> the title, and if nobody answers in a week, we can assume I'm the only
> one "who uses this" enough to respond.

Please fix the manual and the help string for `gnus-warp-to-article' to
describe what this function actually does. it is difficult to tell if
this would be useful or not without meaningful documentation.

    AndyM

* Re: And, bump again.
@ 2013-03-04  4:45     ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2013-03-04  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Sun Mar 03 2013, Dave Abrahams <dave-AT-boostpro.com> wrote:

> on Sun Mar 03 2013, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:
>
>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>>
>>> * I would like to remove the check for virtual-ness in
>>>   gnus-warp-to-article.
>>>
>>> * I believe that removal to be OK.  I'll test it here, of course, and
>>>   I'm a daily user of warping.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the warping stuff, so somebody who uses this
>> should respond to this...
>
> OK, how about this;  I'm going to make one more post with "warping" in
> the title, and if nobody answers in a week, we can assume I'm the only
> one "who uses this" enough to respond.

Heh, I finally found a way around this that doesn't require the change.
I just derived a virtual group type from nndoc.

--
Dave Abrahams

* Re: And, bump again.
@ 2013-03-04  5:20       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2013-03-04  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

,----[ C-h f gnus-warp-to-article RET ]
| gnus-warp-to-article is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| `gnus-int.el'.
|
| (gnus-warp-to-article)
|
| Warps from an article in a virtual group to the article in its
| real group. Does nothing on a real group.
|
| [back]
`----

I think replacing "Warps" with "Jump" would make this docstring
perfectly descriptive.  After that change, does the docstring leave you
with any questions?

--
Dave Abrahams

* Re: And, bump again.
@ 2013-03-04 22:35         ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2013-03-04 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon 04 Mar 2013, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> ,----[ C-h f gnus-warp-to-article RET ]
> | gnus-warp-to-article is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> | `gnus-int.el'.
> |
> | (gnus-warp-to-article)
> |
> | Warps from an article in a virtual group to the article in its
> | real group. Does nothing on a real group.
> |
> | [back]
> `----
>
> I think replacing "Warps" with "Jump" would make this docstring
> perfectly descriptive.  After that change, does the docstring leave you
> with any questions?

That sounds fine. Why wasn't jump used in the name of the function ?

    AndyM

* Re: And, bump again.
@ 2013-03-13 21:33     ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2013-03-13 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun 03 Mar 2013, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>>
>>> * I would like to remove the check for virtual-ness in
>>>   gnus-warp-to-article.
>>>
>>> * I believe that removal to be OK.  I'll test it here, of course, and
>>>   I'm a daily user of warping.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the warping stuff, so somebody who uses this
>> should respond to this...
>
> ...and while this is being worked on, they could fix the manual. The
> term "warp" is used, but never defined, leaving the user with no idea as
> to it's purpose.

Sounds like somebody was trying to make a cute "Star Trek" reference to
travelling a long distance across the galaxy in a short time. Certainly not
the kind of thing that can go unexplained - probably better to use a
normal word such as "jump".

--
David

* Re: And, bump again.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-01 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Moreton; +Cc: ding

Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com> writes:

> ...and while this is being worked on, they could fix the manual. The
> term "warp" is used, but never defined, leaving the user with no idea as
> to it's purpose.

I've now changed the manual and the doc string.

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php