* Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 14:16 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-12 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now that summer is getting closer all the time (just four or five
months now), I've started thinking about Oort Gnus t-shirts again.  (I
last did that 10 months ago, and nothing happened then.)

I have no idea about the design of the shirt, but there's one thing I
want to include -- teensy X-Faces of the people who have write access
to the Gnus CVS repository.  One thing that's been somewhat different
between Oort and previous Gnusae is the increasingly distributed
nature of its development.  I'm thinking "Oort Gnus", and then teensy
X-Faces arranged on a line underneath.  Or something.  With a big,
starry sky above.  White on black.

Anyway.

I have the X-Faces of the following people:

ShengHuo ZHU (the old X-Face)
Per Abrahamsen
Hrvoje Niksic
Didier Verna
Kai Großjohann
Katsumi Yamaoka

I don't have the X-Face of the following people:

Simon Josefsson
Florian Weimer
Dave Love
Josh Huber
Paul Jarc

Could the missing faces send me their X-Faces?  And the one I have of
Kai is the snake-around-the-stick thing, so perhaps you could send me
a new one?  :-)

A thought just occurred to me -- a t-shirt has at least two sides.
Perhaps we could do a massive X-Face-Of-All-Gnus-Users thing on the
back?  I could just grep all the relevant newsgroups for X-Faces and
do a massive tapestry...  Or grep for User-Agent:.*Gnus in all
newsgroups and grab all the X-Faces I find.   :-)

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 16:02 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-12 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Now that summer is getting closer all the time (just four or five
> months now), I've started thinking about Oort Gnus t-shirts again.  (I
> last did that 10 months ago, and nothing happened then.)
>
> I have no idea about the design of the shirt, but there's one thing I
> want to include -- teensy X-Faces of the people who have write access
> to the Gnus CVS repository.  One thing that's been somewhat different
> between Oort and previous Gnusae is the increasingly distributed
> nature of its development.  I'm thinking "Oort Gnus", and then teensy
> X-Faces arranged on a line underneath.  Or something.  With a big,
> starry sky above.  White on black.

Aren't X-faces an Xemacs thing?

Will the Friendly Gnu beast be on them?

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 16:14   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-12 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Aren't X-faces an Xemacs thing?

No, they work fine in Emacs 21 as well.  You need to install
uncompface, though.

> Will the Friendly Gnu beast be on them?

On the shirts?  Yes.  I've been fiddling a bit with the back of the
shirt, and I'm now looking at several hundred X-Faces with a Gnus logo
superimposed over them.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 16:17   ` Matthias Wiehl
From: Matthias Wiehl @ 2002-01-12 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Aren't X-faces an Xemacs thing?

Nope.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 16:23     ` Oystein Viggen
From: Oystein Viggen @ 2002-01-12 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

* [Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen]

> On the shirts?  Yes.  I've been fiddling a bit with the back of the
> shirt, and I'm now looking at several hundred X-Faces with a Gnus logo
> superimposed over them.

URL, URL!  :)

Oystein
--
This message was generated by a flock of happy penguins.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-12 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oystein Viggen <oysteivi@tihlde.org> writes:

> URL, URL!  :)

<Byrne>You can't see it / 'till it's finished!</Byrne>

I'll post an URL later.  :-)

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-12 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

The general idea is something like
those aren't the X-Faces that will be used, exactly.  I'll have to
root out all those that look odd or don't fit into the scheme, or
because the moon is in Aquarius.

I have no idea what the front is supposed to look like.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 17:24           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-12 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The general idea is something like

Or perhaps print with an extra overlay color.  Like this:

When printing on a shirt, the blue overlay won't exactly be
transparent, but it won't be totally solid, either.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 17:46           ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2002-01-12 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

>The general idea is something like
>those aren't the X-Faces that will be used, exactly.  I'll have to
>root out all those that look odd or don't fit into the scheme, or
>because the moon is in Aquarius.
>
>I have no idea what the front is supposed to look like.

There are two from me. The Bat (third row from the top, second from
left) was my old one and is, hmm advertising the market concurrent.
(www.ritlabs.com)

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 17:50             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-12 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> The general idea is something like
>
> Or perhaps print with an extra overlay color.  Like this:
>
> When printing on a shirt, the blue overlay won't exactly be
> transparent, but it won't be totally solid, either.

Thats pretty cool looking.  (back2.gif)

I wonder if people would object if somewhere on gnus-towers, those
X-faces were posted along with the names that go with them.  I think
it would be cool to see who is who.

How does one get in the cavalcade of X-faces anyway?
(Aside from installing the package Lars mentioned)

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 18:04               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-12 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I wonder if people would object if somewhere on gnus-towers, those
> X-faces were posted along with the names that go with them.  I think
> it would be cool to see who is who.

Well, if you had uncompface installed, you would have known who's
who.  :-)

> How does one get in the cavalcade of X-faces anyway?
> (Aside from installing the package Lars mentioned)

Just start including an X-Face header in the messages you post.  See
the `X-Face' section in the Gnus manual for discussion on how to
create them.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 22:08                 ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2002-01-12 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Just start including an X-Face header in the messages you post.  See
> the `X-Face' section in the Gnus manual for discussion on how to
> create them.

Ooh, I just tried doing that and lookie here what I found:

,----[ gnus-fun.el ]
| 	(insert (shell-command-to-string
| 		 (format "giftopnm %s | ppmnorm 2>/dev/null |
| pnmscale -width 48 -height 48 | ppmquant -fs -map %s 2>/dev/null |
| ppmtopgm | pnmnoraw"
| 			 (shell-quote-argument file)
| 			 mapfile)))
`----

(the long (format..) line being broken up.) Isn't the gif format
non-free? Don't you think that enforcing png as the standard here (or
having it adapt to different image formats) would be slightly better?

--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, asf@jabber.at, antifuchs

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 22:20                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-12 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> writes:

> Isn't the gif format non-free? Don't you think that enforcing png as
> the standard here (or having it adapt to different image formats)
> would be slightly better?

Sure.  The functions in gnus-fun.el are experimental.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-12 22:35                     ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2002-01-12 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Andreas Fuchs <asf@void.at> writes:
>> Isn't the gif format non-free? Don't you think that enforcing png as
>> the standard here (or having it adapt to different image formats)
>> would be slightly better?
>
> Sure.  The functions in gnus-fun.el are experimental.

Oh, of course. That explains a bit. Okay, I just might hack up a patch
so that there might be support for any image type (or so I'd hope)
today.

Have fun,
--

@ 2002-01-13  0:19             ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2002-01-13  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

|--==> "LMI" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

  LMI> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

Hey, cool!  I'm on there 3 times. :-)

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: 10D5C9C5>---|
|            XEmacs - It's not just an editor.             |

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-13  9:36 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-13  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Could the missing faces send me their X-Faces?  And the one I have of
> Kai is the snake-around-the-stick thing, so perhaps you could send me
> a new one?  :-)

Is it mandatory for the X-Face to look like a face?

And why isn't it obvious that it's a worm, not a snake?  And it's a
street lantern!  (Though there wasn't enough room for the light
rays.)  Hm.  Maybe I should change the face...

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-13 14:30   ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2002-01-13 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> And why isn't it obvious that it's a worm, not a snake?  And it's a
> street lantern!  (Though there wasn't enough room for the light
> rays.)  Hm.

No, it is certainly a snake with a radioactive cowboy hat on its top
winding around a zipper.  We all know, what this means...

Cheers, Ray
--
Hfr fgebat rapelcgvba!

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-13 22:21     ` Morgan Fletcher
From: Morgan Fletcher @ 2002-01-13 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Aren't X-faces an Xemacs thing?
>
> No, they work fine in Emacs 21 as well.  You need to install
> uncompface, though.

OK, I am a nimrod. I just use gnus, don't know much about it.

I've got the debian "sid" compface package installed, which includes
uncompface, the debian emacs21 (21.1.1) package and Oort Gnus 0.04 built
from source.

When I do M-x x-face-view I get a floating bitmap of the x-face, which I
must close with 'q' to get back to emacs. But 'W f' or 'W D x' or M-x
article-display-x-face or M-x gnus-article-display-x-face don't get me
anything.

How do I get gnus to display x-faces every time, if present, in the header
area of the Article buffer?

Morgan

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-13 22:31       ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2002-01-13 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Morgan Fletcher <morgan@hahaha.org> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>>> Aren't X-faces an Xemacs thing?
>>
>> No, they work fine in Emacs 21 as well.  You need to install
>> uncompface, though.
>
> OK, I am a nimrod. I just use gnus, don't know much about it.
>
> I've got the debian "sid" compface package installed, which includes
> uncompface, the debian emacs21 (21.1.1) package and Oort Gnus 0.04 built
> from source.
>
> When I do M-x x-face-view I get a floating bitmap of the x-face, which I
> must close with 'q' to get back to emacs. But 'W f' or 'W D x' or M-x
> article-display-x-face or M-x gnus-article-display-x-face don't get me
> anything.
>
> How do I get gnus to display x-faces every time, if present, in the header
> area of the Article buffer?
>
> Morgan

Customize the `gnus-treat-display-xface' variable.

        (setq gnus-treat-display-xface 'head)

Henrik
--
The most important job is not to be governor, or first lady in my case.
		-- George W. Bush

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-14  0:00               ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 2002-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs wrote :

> |--==> "LMI" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>   LMI> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>   LMI> <URL: http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/stuff/oort/back2.gif>
>
> Hey, cool!  I'm on there 3 times. :-)

Well, I got two, and here's my new one, FWIW.

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net>
birds ghosts whitey japan toyworld

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-14  9:54     ` Mark Trettin
From: Mark Trettin @ 2002-01-14  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

* On: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:14:59 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

[...]

>> Will the Friendly Gnu beast be on them?

> On the shirts?  Yes.  I've been fiddling a bit with the back of the
> shirt, and I'm now looking at several hundred X-Faces with a Gnus logo
> superimposed over them.

Well, if you need one more --> here is mine. But I'm only a Gnus
*User*.

Bye

    Mark
--
Mark Trettin · Aachen · Germany · Where is Aachen? --> N: 50°46' E: 06°05'

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-14 10:14 ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2002-01-14 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Could the missing faces send me their X-Faces?  And the one I have of
> Kai is the snake-around-the-stick thing, so perhaps you could send me
> a new one?  :-)

I'll also make a new one; I don't want this wrong[1] image of me to be
spread everywhere ;-)

Footnotes:
[1]  that shot was taken during a theater play (The Birthday Party, by
Pinter), with heavy makeup on the face and stuff. I was playing a very bad
guy...

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-14 17:57   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-14 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is it mandatory for the X-Face to look like a face?

Not really, but it would be nice...

> And why isn't it obvious that it's a worm, not a snake?  And it's a
> street lantern!

Yeah, right.  :-)

(And I've got a cheapo USB web cam which is now snapping a picture of
me each time I `C-c C-c' and creates an X-Face on the fly.  This is
what I look like *right* *now*.)

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-14 17:58   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-14 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

> [1]  that shot was taken during a theater play (The Birthday Party, by
> Pinter), with heavy makeup on the face and stuff. I was playing a very bad
> guy...

I thought it looked kinda theatrical.  :-)

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-14 18:35     ` Martin Thornquist
From: Martin Thornquist @ 2002-01-14 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen ]

> (And I've got a cheapo USB web cam which is now snapping a picture of
> me each time I `C-c C-c' and creates an X-Face on the fly.  This is
> what I look like *right* *now*.)

Rather blurry. If I hadn't known, I wouldn't recognize you...

Another thing, in your "*right* *now*" above I saw only "*right*" in
bold. Gnus CVS from last night 0530 CET.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                 -Paul Graham, On Lisp

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-14 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Thornquist <martint@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Rather blurry. If I hadn't known, I wouldn't recognize you...

Perhaps I could add more depth to the X-Face...

> Another thing, in your "*right* *now*" above I saw only "*right*" in
> bold. Gnus CVS from last night 0530 CET.

Hm.  If the /thing/. *is* followed by a *dot*, it *won't* get
*emphasized*?

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-14 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hm.  If the /thing/. *is* followed by a *dot*, it *won't* get
> *emphasized*?

No, that worked.  It it *two* *words* adjacent to each other that
triggers the bug?

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-14 19:34           ` Martin Thornquist
From: Martin Thornquist @ 2002-01-14 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen ]

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Hm.  If the /thing/. *is* followed by a *dot*, it *won't* get
>> *emphasized*?
>
> No, that worked.  It it *two* *words* adjacent to each other that
> triggers the bug?

All of this works for me, strange. (Maybe it works *right* *now*.)

Better X-face, though.

Martin
--

@ 2002-01-14 19:43             ` Martin Thornquist
From: Martin Thornquist @ 2002-01-14 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Martin Thornquist ]

> All of this works for me, strange. (Maybe it works *right* *now*.)

Right. Seems to be neither the two words or the dot but the
parenthesis, see my recent postings on gnus.test.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                 -Paul Graham, On Lisp

* OT: bbdb and x-faces (was: Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.)
@ 2002-01-15  9:53     ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2002-01-15  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-01-14, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> (And I've got a cheapo USB web cam which is now snapping a picture of
> me each time I `C-c C-c' and creates an X-Face on the fly.  This is
> what I look like *right* *now*.)

This is a nice DOS attack on other people's BBDBs, by the way. (-:
If I auto-noticed your x-face (as some people do, it's described in the
docs to BBDB), I would have 4-6 different x-faces now in there.

Is there a way to ignore some people's header lines in BBDB hooks based
on the From address?

TIA,
--

@ 2002-01-15 22:13             ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-01-15 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Or perhaps print with an extra overlay color.  Like this:
>
> When printing on a shirt, the blue overlay won't exactly be
> transparent, but it won't be totally solid, either.

What about leaving the white parts of all faces white, and making just
the intersection of the overlay with the black parts of faces be blue?
Or what about arranging the darker and lighter faces to make the logo
as a mosaic?

paul

* Re: OT: bbdb and x-faces (was: Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.)
@ 2002-01-16  0:39       ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-01-16  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
> On 2002-01-14, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>> (And I've got a cheapo USB web cam which is now snapping a picture of
>> me each time I `C-c C-c' and creates an X-Face on the fly.  This is
>> what I look like *right* *now*.)
>
> This is a nice DOS attack on other people's BBDBs, by the way. (-: If
> I auto-noticed your x-face (as some people do, it's described in the
> docs to BBDB), I would have 4-6 different x-faces now in there.

You could just configure it to replace the existing information rather
than append to it. ;)

        Daniel

--
The hearts of small children are delicate organs. ... Or, again, the heart of
such a child may fester and swell until it is misery to carry within the body,

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16  3:30               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Thornquist <martint@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Right. Seems to be neither the two words or the dot but the
> parenthesis, see my recent postings on gnus.test.

Indeed.  After fiddling with the regexp for about half an hour, I
think I've gotten it right now...  (*right* *now*.)

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16  3:31               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> What about leaving the white parts of all faces white, and making just
> the intersection of the overlay with the black parts of faces be blue?
> Or what about arranging the darker and lighter faces to make the logo
> as a mosaic?

Hm...  What would the mosaic look like?

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 12:58                 ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-01-16 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    larsi> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
    >> What about leaving the white parts of all faces white, and
    >> making just the intersection of the overlay with the black
    >> parts of faces be blue?  Or what about arranging the darker
    >> and lighter faces to make the logo as a mosaic?

I was thinking something along same lines too. Having seen the
back2.gif, it looks like the Gnu was just overlayed on a backdrop of
faces (which it was :).

It would look better if the image of the gnu was used as a "cutout"
mask of the background. Meaning that there would be "white" where
currently there's blue.

    larsi> Hm...  What would the mosaic look like?

The Gnu, of course. I think what he's suggesting is something akin to
the poster for that Jim Carrey movie, whose name I am at this moment
forgetting, where his entire life was a TV show in a studio.

(Also the cover of "Nature" magazine devoted to the Human Genome
Project did something like this.)

I don't think this'll work because you don't have the needed
resolution.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 13:23                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> I was thinking something along same lines too. Having seen the
> back2.gif, it looks like the Gnu was just overlayed on a backdrop of
> faces (which it was :).
>
> It would look better if the image of the gnu was used as a "cutout"
> mask of the background. Meaning that there would be "white" where
> currently there's blue.

Hm.  Just blue where there would otherwise be black?  That can be
achieved easily enough by just putting the logo under the faces
instead of over them.

*fiddle* *fiddle*

Not that easy, actually, since the X-Faces have solid black
backgrounds, but that can be fixed.  When printing the shirts, it'll
work without any fiddling, of course...

>     larsi> Hm...  What would the mosaic look like?
>
> The Gnu, of course. I think what he's suggesting is something akin to
> the poster for that Jim Carrey movie, whose name I am at this moment
> forgetting, where his entire life was a TV show in a studio.
>
> (Also the cover of "Nature" magazine devoted to the Human Genome
> Project did something like this.)
>
> I don't think this'll work because you don't have the needed
> resolution.

I think so, too.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 13:37                     ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-01-16 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    larsi> Hm.  Just blue where there would otherwise be black?  That
    larsi> can be achieved easily enough by just putting the logo
    larsi> under the faces instead of over them.

No, no; there is no spoon^H^H^H^H^H blue.

You put the faces on one layer and put the gnu on another layer then
merge the two layers using logical AND (I think). So where there is
a blue pixel it becomes blank.

In essence you get a wall of faces with a gnu cutout.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 14:27                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> You put the faces on one layer and put the gnu on another layer then
> merge the two layers using logical AND (I think). So where there is
> a blue pixel it becomes blank.

Oh, you mean a black gnu.  :-)

I tried that first, but I thought it looked kinda eh.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 14:36                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> You put the faces on one layer and put the gnu on another layer then
>> merge the two layers using logical AND (I think). So where there is
>> a blue pixel it becomes blank.
>
> Oh, you mean a black gnu.  :-)

Or perhaps not -- where there is white pixels and blue gnu on top of
each other, it should become blue pixels?

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 15:49                           ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-01-16 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    larsi> Or perhaps not -- where there is white pixels and blue gnu
    larsi> on top of each other, it should become blue pixels?

Every blue pixel of the gnu becomes white regardless of what the
colour of the pixel behind it.

Imagine printing all the faces on a piece of paper and then taking an
Xacto knife and cutting out the shape of the gnu out of that sheet of
paper. So where the gnu was, you can "see through".

In the T-shirt's case, the fabric of the T-shirt will show through
where the gnu is.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 16:31                   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-01-16 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> wrote:
>     larsi> Hm...  What would the mosaic look like?
>
> The Gnu, of course. I think what he's suggesting is something akin to
> the poster for that Jim Carrey movie, whose name I am at this moment
> forgetting, where his entire life was a TV show in a studio.

Right.  That was _The Truman Show_.  There's a Yoda poster similarly
made out of stills from the Star Wars movies.

> I don't think this'll work because you don't have the needed
> resolution.

Well, if a lot more faces were used, it might work.  But then they
might be too small to recognize.

paul

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 16:44                             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> In the T-shirt's case, the fabric of the T-shirt will show through
> where the gnu is.

And in this case, the t-shirt will be black (keeping with the space
theme), so the gnu will be black...  Like in back.gif.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 17:50                               ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-01-16 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    larsi> And in this case, the t-shirt will be black (keeping with
    larsi> the space theme), so the gnu will be black...  Like in
    larsi> back.gif.

So to see what this will look like, create a reverse image (white
foreground on black background) of the "wall of faces" and
superimpose a black gnu on it.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 19:01                                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> So to see what this will look like, create a reverse image (white
> foreground on black background) of the "wall of faces" and
> superimpose a black gnu on it.

That's what <URL: http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/oort/back.gif> is...

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 19:08                                   ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-01-16 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    larsi> That's what <URL:
    larsi> http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/oort/back.gif> is...

When back.gif appears on a T-shirt, will the white portions (i.e. the
background of the xfaces) be *painted* white or will they be the
colour of the T-shirt (black)?

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 19:12                                     ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> When back.gif appears on a T-shirt, will the white portions (i.e. the
> background of the xfaces) be *painted* white or will they be the
> colour of the T-shirt (black)?

The stuff that's white on the gif will be the paint on the shirt.  The
black portions will be the fabric.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 19:24                                       ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-01-16 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    larsi> The stuff that's white on the gif will be the paint on the
    larsi> shirt.  The black portions will be the fabric.

Then what I was proposing was that, with the exception of the gnu,
everything that is white be black and whatever is black be white.

(The gnu should be black).

Waiting for back3.gif...

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 19:29                                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> Then what I was proposing was that, with the exception of the gnu,
> everything that is white be black and whatever is black be white.

Isn't that, like, reverse of what it's now?  It'll look odd...  All
the faces will be negatives...

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 19:34                                           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Isn't that, like, reverse of what it's now?  It'll look odd...  All
> the faces will be negatives...

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 19:36                                             ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-01-16 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

:)

paul

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 19:41                                               ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-01-16 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> :)

Ah, here they are:
<URL:http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/stuff/oort/back3.gif>
<URL:http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/stuff/oort/back4.gif>
<URL:http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/stuff/oort/back5.gif>

paul

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 19:41                                               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> :)

Oops.  :-)

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 19:45                                                 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-01-16 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

What about XORing the gnu with the faces?

paul

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 19:50                                                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> What about XORing the gnu with the faces?

How do you do that in Postscript?

I'm using LaTeX as the design tool.  :-)

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 20:12                                                 ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-01-16 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

back5.gif was what I was envisoning, but somehow it doesn't match the
image in my mind :)

Maybe, as Paul said, XOR'ing would look better. You'll need the GIMP
for that...

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 20:18                                                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> Maybe, as Paul said, XOR'ing would look better. You'll need the GIMP
> for that...

One thing I'm worried about doing that is that the two colors would
then have to be matched perfectly (when printing using two silk
screens) on the shirts for it to look OK.  I'd rather have a design
where a one-millimeter registering error won't make the shirt look
wonky...

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 20:23                                                     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-01-16 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:
>> Maybe, as Paul said, XOR'ing would look better. You'll need the GIMP
>> for that...
>
> One thing I'm worried about doing that is that the two colors would
> then have to be matched perfectly (when printing using two silk
> screens) on the shirts for it to look OK.

I was thinking of it with only one paint color.  Paint the faces on
the fabric, letting the fabric show through for one of the two colors
of the faces, and then toggle the presence of paint in the region the
gnu covers.  Would that circumvent this problem?

paul

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 20:27                                                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> I was thinking of it with only one paint color.  Paint the faces on
> the fabric, letting the fabric show through for one of the two colors
> of the faces, and then toggle the presence of paint in the region the
> gnu covers.  Would that circumvent this problem?

Oh, just print with one color?  Yes, that should be no problem, as
soon as I figure out how to xor in Postscript...  :-)

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 20:44                                                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Oh, just print with one color?  Yes, that should be no problem, as
> soon as I figure out how to xor in Postscript...  :-)

I cheated and used pnmpaste.  back6.gif is the result, and it doesn't
look good.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 21:05                                                           ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-01-16 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    larsi> I cheated and used pnmpaste.  back6.gif is the result, and
    larsi> it doesn't look good.

I kinda like it.

(Emphasis on kinda).

*thinking*

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 21:09                                                             ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-01-16 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> wrote:
>     larsi> I cheated and used pnmpaste.  back6.gif is the result, and
>     larsi> it doesn't look good.
>
> I kinda like it.
>
> (Emphasis on kinda).
>
> *thinking*

It might look better if the faces were rearranged so that all faces
intersecting the gnu outline were mostly light or all mostly dark.
Likewise for the interior of the outline, maybe.

paul

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 22:38                                                               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-16 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> It might look better if the faces were rearranged so that all faces
> intersecting the gnu outline were mostly light or all mostly dark.
> Likewise for the interior of the outline, maybe.

I've tried removing the black lines between the faces to give it a
more coherent background for the xor-ing to work, but it doesn't seem
to help much.  I think the faces just are too noisy for xor-in to be
properly visible.  back8.gif  (Yes, the foot sticks out a bit below,
but I couldn't be bothered fixing that now.)

And I did the same with the blue-on-faces.  back7.gif.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-16 23:56                                                                 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2002-01-16 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Here is an another version of X-Faces. :-)

http://www.jpl.org/image/x-faces.gif

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-17  8:49                 ` Martin Thornquist
From: Martin Thornquist @ 2002-01-17  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen ]

> Indeed.  After fiddling with the regexp for about half an hour, I
> think I've gotten it right now...  (*right* *now*.)

No? Same behavior for me, with CVS as of 0530 CET today.

Martin
--

@ 2002-01-17  8:55                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-17  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Thornquist <martint@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> No? Same behavior for me, with CVS as of 0530 CET today.

Hm...  I haven't checked that in yet, it seems.  Fix in a few
jiffies.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-17  9:44                                                             ` Per Abrahamsen
                                                                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-01-17  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

>     larsi> I cheated and used pnmpaste.  back6.gif is the result, and
>     larsi> it doesn't look good.
>
> I kinda like it.

Me too.  I think XOR is the best we can do with one color.

With two colors, would it be possible to first print a large blue
logo, then print the white xfaces *on top of* that?

It would give an effect that was robust to the white/blue placement
(it wouldn't really matter much).  However, large areas of the shirt
would be printed on twice.

The logo would need to be large, as the x-faces are mostly white, to
most of the logo would be obscured.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-17 10:41                                                               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-17 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> With two colors, would it be possible to first print a large blue
> logo, then print the white xfaces *on top of* that?

Sure.  back9.gif is an example.

> It would give an effect that was robust to the white/blue placement
> (it wouldn't really matter much).  However, large areas of the shirt
> would be printed on twice.

I think that would be OK.  The white will have some transparency
(unless they slather on the paint really thick, which they won't do,
since there's so much white -- it would make the shirt stiff and
uncomfortable, and liable to show lots of "fractures" in the paint).

> The logo would need to be large, as the x-faces are mostly white, to
> most of the logo would be obscured.

Yes.  I can't really make the logo much bigger than it is shown in
back9.gif, since that would make it wider than the field of faces.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-17 10:44                                                               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-17 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

images are stored, for those who've lost the URLs...

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-17 17:31                                                                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                                                                                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-17 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since we've now come to no agreement about the back of the shirt, I've
now kinda assembled some of the bits for the front, so that we'll have
something else to not agree on.  :-)

front1.gif has the Oort logo draft from Luis, the X-Faces of all the
people with CVS write access (with a couple of repeats, since I still
don't have all the faces), and the motto underneath.  Which needs a
third sentence, I think.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-17 17:47                                                                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                                                                                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-17 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just had an idea -- how about silver paint instead of white?  Or
white with sorta shimmery silver stuff in it?  I'll ask the printers
if that is possible...

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-17 19:21                                                                   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-01-17 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> front1.gif has the Oort logo draft from Luis, the X-Faces of all the
> people with CVS write access (with a couple of repeats, since I still
> don't have all the faces),

Yeah, I've never made one.

> and the motto underneath.  Which needs a third sentence, I think.

"It's got a three-sentence motto."

paul

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-17 19:33                                                                   ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-01-17 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

   larsi> ... Which needs a third sentence, I think.

What about Oort's motto (in italics?): Looking ahead in wonder.

From: luis fernandes @ 2002-01-17 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    larsi> I just had an idea -- how about silver paint instead of
    larsi> white?  Or white with sorta shimmery silver stuff in it?

Silver paint is not very colour-fast; it has to be washed very
carefully.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
                                                                                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-01-17 19:34                                                                   ` John H. Palmieri
From: John H. Palmieri @ 2002-01-17 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> front1.gif has the Oort logo draft from Luis, the X-Faces of all the
> people with CVS write access (with a couple of repeats, since I still
> don't have all the faces), and the motto underneath.  Which needs a
> third sentence, I think.

"In space, no one can hear you scream."

That one's been used before, though...

--
J. H. Palmieri
Dept of Mathematics, Box 354350    mailto:palmieri@math.washington.edu

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-17 20:07                                                                     ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-17 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

>    larsi> ... Which needs a third sentence, I think.
>
> What about Oort's motto (in italics?): Looking ahead in wonder.

That's a great motto, but it kinda doesn't go with the other two
sentences.  So I've added it to the bottom of the back of the shirt.
back10.gif.

Perhaps two sentences are enough for the front.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-17 20:08                                                                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-17 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> Silver paint is not very colour-fast; it has to be washed very
> carefully.

Darn.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-17 23:59                                                                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-17 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been messing around some more trying to arrange the front of the
shirt.  front3.gif is what I've come up with.

Imagine the shirt.  Black.  With white spatters all over the front.
Perhaps shaped like a galaxy; perhaps not.  On the right side, quite
high up are three black boxes.  (Well, it's really three white frames,
but the blackness inside will stand out as a contrast to the
star-spatters all around.)  The three boxes is what front3.gif is.

Ok, I put the contents in the boxes in symmetrically, and I know that
symmetry is the first refuge of the scoundrel, but design is *hard*.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-18 10:31                                                                     ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2002-01-18 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-01-17, Paul Jarc <prj@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>> and the motto underneath.  Which needs a third sentence, I think.
> "It's got a three-sentence motto."

Somehow, I like that one. But since luis fernandes came up with
"Looking ahead in wonder", I guess that should read "It's got a
four-sentence motto."

Let's not put lies on T-shirts (-:
--

@ 2002-01-18 15:36                                                                           ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-01-18 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, I've been playing in the gimp trying to get a picture turned into
b&w that doesn't look like total crap, and it's hard.  Is there
some conversion utility that does a better job, or something in the
gimp that I'm missing?

I've got it in greyscale, and fiddled with the levels/curves so that
there aren't that many shades and the contrast is pretty high, but
when I convert it to b&w, the gimp turns it to noise.

Any ideas?

--
Josh Huber

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-18 16:42                                                                             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-18 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> I've got it in greyscale, and fiddled with the levels/curves so that
> there aren't that many shades and the contrast is pretty high, but
> when I convert it to b&w, the gimp turns it to noise.

I use "pgmtopbm -threshold -value 0.9" or something to convert the
images...

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-18 18:40                                                               ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-01-18 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:
>
>>     larsi> I cheated and used pnmpaste.  back6.gif is the result, and
>>     larsi> it doesn't look good.
>>
>> I kinda like it.
>
> Me too.  I think XOR is the best we can do with one color.

Another idea: Instead of one large Gnus logo, use a lot of X-Face
sized Gnus logos to form a cirkel among all the other xfaces.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-18 18:41                                                                               ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-01-18 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I use "pgmtopbm -threshold -value 0.9" or something to convert the
> images...

Well, I ended up using something else, and cleaning up the image with
the gimp a tiny bit...

How does this one look? ;)

Of course, you might throw off the symmetry of the images on the front
of the shirt!

Are you still missing a couple of them?

--
Josh Huber

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-18 18:45                                                                                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-18 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> How does this one look? ;)

Fine.  :-)

> Of course, you might throw off the symmetry of the images on the front
> of the shirt!
>
> Are you still missing a couple of them?

Yes; after adding yours, there are still two missing...

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-18 21:14                                                                             ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-01-18 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri Jan 18 2002 at 09:36, Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> said:

> So, I've been playing in the gimp trying to get a picture turned
> into b&w that doesn't look like total crap, and it's hard.  Is there
> some conversion utility that does a better job, or something in the
> gimp that I'm missing?
>
> I've got it in greyscale, and fiddled with the levels/curves so that
> there aren't that many shades and the contrast is pretty high, but
> when I convert it to b&w, the gimp turns it to noise.

In the gimp I converted the jpg on my homepage to grayscale, fiddled
with contrast & brightness, then saved as gif & ran the big hairy
shell command.  I didn't convert to classic b&w.

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-19 17:20                                                                                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-19 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Instead of using a galaxy on the front of the shirt, it has been
suggested that we could use a comet instead.  (Seeing as how the Oort
Cloud has nothing to do with galaxies and quite a bit to do with
comets.)

Does anybody have an URL to a high-resolution image of a neat comet
that would look OK when printed white-on-black?

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-19 23:49                                                                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-19 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Another idea: Instead of one large Gnus logo, use a lot of X-Face
> sized Gnus logos to form a cirkel among all the other xfaces.

Hm...  That would eat up lots of X-Faces...

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-20 22:46                                                                                     ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2002-01-20 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anybody have an URL to a high-resolution image of a neat comet
> that would look OK when printed white-on-black?

Hm.  I just tried Google.  At least http://www.google.ch/ has a
picture search, and I typed "comet".

Some that I liked, not in the order of preference!

http://www.project2061.org/images/home/comet.jpg
http://spacelink.nasa.gov/NASA.Projects/Space.Science/Universe/Roentgen.Satellite.ROSAT/X-Rays.From.Comet.Hyakutake.gif
http://www.midcoast.com/~martucci/Comet.JPG
http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/space/05/17/comet.puzzle/comet.explode.gif -- animated :(
http://faldo.atmos.uiuc.edu/HOMEPAGES/IMAGES/comet.bill.gif -- atmospheric
http://www.chaseday.com/PHOTOSHP/comet-1.JPG -- brilliant colors
http://www.fli-cam.com/images/comet-liner.jpg -- big
http://www.rocketroberts.com/astro/images/comet.jpg -- big

There are tons more...  :)

Alex.
--
http://www.geocities.com/kensanata/
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and sweet as love.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-20 22:48                                                                                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]                                                                                         ` <m21ygkwhyb.fsf@huug2001.xs4all.nl>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-20 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder <kensanata@yahoo.com> writes:

> http://www.chaseday.com/PHOTOSHP/comet-1.JPG -- brilliant colors
> http://www.fli-cam.com/images/comet-liner.jpg -- big
> http://www.rocketroberts.com/astro/images/comet.jpg -- big

These three are possible candidates.  But looking over these pictures,
I realize that I didn't really know what a comet would look like.  :-)
Would anybody see that these were comets when printed in crude
black&white?

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-21  2:38                                                                                           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-21  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

huug <void@nospam.demon.nl> writes:

> A single comet prolly won't help people to reconnect the name to the
> could anyhow. How about a pic of the real thing:
> <URL:http://www.astrology-toronto-inc.com/oort.jpg> or, more likely:
> <URL:http://www.europa.com/~bessel/Impact/oort.jpg>?

Neither really look like anything, I think.

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-21 13:00                                                                                             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-21 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Neither really look like anything, I think.

I don't think that's an argument.  After all, think about all the
social interaction you get with all them people asking "whazzat on
your shirt there?"!

I like the second pic.  It looks very black-and-white.

kai
--

@ 2002-01-21 19:55                                                                                               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-21 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't think that's an argument.  After all, think about all the
> social interaction you get with all them people asking "whazzat on
> your shirt there?"!

I think the logo and "It's big.  It's far out." will achieve that
anyway.  :-)

* Re: Summer, t-shirts, etc.
@ 2002-01-28 13:33     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2002-01-28 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:
>
>> [1]  that shot was taken during a theater play (The Birthday Party, by
>> Pinter), with heavy makeup on the face and stuff. I was playing a very bad
>> guy...
>
> I thought it looked kinda theatrical.  :-)

        I can't resist showing you the original shot ... :-)

http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier/mac-cann.png