* editing drafts
@ 2003-05-05 14:37 Kai Großjohann
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-05 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

A minute ago, my boss came and he also tried to use `e' to edit an
article in nndraft:drafts.  I told him to use `D e'.

I really think it would be useful for `e' to do what people expect in
nndraft:drafts.  This means do like `D e'.  Even though it's
different from `e' in other groups.

(The old `e' could be on another binding -- `D e' is free.)

Opinions?
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: editing drafts
@ 2003-05-05 14:51 ` Emerick Rogul
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Emerick Rogul @ 2003-05-05 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann writes:

> A minute ago, my boss came and he also tried to use `e' to edit an
> article in nndraft:drafts.  I told him to use `D e'.

> I really think it would be useful for `e' to do what people expect in
> nndraft:drafts.  This means do like `D e'.  Even though it's
> different from `e' in other groups.

> (The old `e' could be on another binding -- `D e' is free.)

> Opinions?

I totally agree with this idea.  In fact, I _just_ made this exact
mistake and I was completely confused when after sending my draft it
was still in my drafts folder.  It sounds like a very user-friendly
enhancement to make.

-Emerick
Emerick Rogul             /\/     "how young are you, how old am i?
emerick@cs.bu.edu         /\/      let's count the rings around my eyes."
------------------------------------------------- 'i will dare', the mats

* Re: editing drafts
@ 2003-05-05 15:52 ` Reiner Steib
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-05-05 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 05 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> I really think it would be useful for `e' to do what people expect in
> nndraft:drafts.  This means do like `D e'.  Even though it's
> different from `e' in other groups.

ACK.

> (The old `e' could be on another binding -- `D e' is free.)

No, IMHO, `D e' should be kept.  It would be too confusing for people
that are familiar with the `D e' binding.

We already have `B w' for `gnus-summary-edit-article', this should be
enough.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: editing drafts
@ 2003-05-05 16:02 ` Karl Pflästerer
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Karl Pflästerer @ 2003-05-05 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  5 May 2003, Kai Großjohann <- kai.grossjohann@gmx.net wrote:

> I really think it would be useful for `e' to do what people expect in
> nndraft:drafts.  This means do like `D e'.  Even though it's
> different from `e' in other groups.

> (The old `e' could be on another binding -- `D e' is free.)

> Opinions?

Very good idea.  Extremly userfriendly.

bye
   KP

--
      And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
          Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

* Re: editing drafts
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-05-05 19:58 ` Xavier Maillard
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-05-05 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  5 mai 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:

>  A minute ago, my boss came and he also tried to use `e' to edit an
>  article in nndraft:drafts.  I told him to use `D e'.
>
>  I really think it would be useful for `e' to do what people expect in
>  nndraft:drafts.  This means do like `D e'.  Even though it's
>  different from `e' in other groups.

I do not agree because I am too familiar with using the 'D e'
keys. What's more D for draft soundsd more natural to me.

zeDek
--
http://www.gnusfr.org -- French Gnus user site

Anti-war disclaimer:
	"Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity"

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: editing drafts
@ 2003-05-06 16:32   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-06 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> I do not agree because I am too familiar with using the 'D e'
> keys. What's more D for draft soundsd more natural to me.

Okay, I agree with Reiner now: let's use B w for
gnus-summary-edit-article, and D e for the draft function, and e has
dwimish behavior.

OK?
--

@ 2003-05-06 20:20     ` Derrell.Lipman
From: Derrell.Lipman @ 2003-05-06 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
>> I do not agree because I am too familiar with using the 'D e'
>> keys. What's more D for draft soundsd more natural to me.
>
> Okay, I agree with Reiner now: let's use B w for
> gnus-summary-edit-article, and D e for the draft function, and e has
> dwimish behavior.

Just to add one more voice to the ruckus...

Although I've become quite used to 'D e' for the draft function, I still find
it uncomfortable to not be able to just press 'e' for this purpose.  I don't
mind 'D e' staying how it is, but I'd prefer that 'e' run the same function as
'D e'.

Derrell

* Re: editing drafts
@ 2003-05-06 22:29       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-05-06 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 mai 2003, Derrell Lipman outgrape:

>  kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> >  Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
> >
> > >  I do not agree because I am too familiar with using the 'D e'
> > >  keys. What's more D for draft soundsd more natural to me.
> >
> >  Okay, I agree with Reiner now: let's use B w for
> >  gnus-summary-edit-article, and D e for the draft function, and e
> >  has dwimish behavior.
>
>  Just to add one more voice to the ruckus...
>
>  Although I've become quite used to 'D e' for the draft function, I
>  still find it uncomfortable to not be able to just press 'e' for this
>  purpose.  I don't mind 'D e' staying how it is, but I'd prefer that
>  'e' run the same function as 'D e'.

That is a possibility as well that satisfy all the parts :)

>  Derrell

zeDek
--
http://www.gnusfr.org -- French Gnus user site

Anti-war disclaimer:
	"Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity"

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: editing drafts
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-05-07  7:27 ` Michael R. Wolf
From: Michael R. Wolf @ 2003-05-07  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> A minute ago, my boss came and he also tried to use `e' to edit an
> article in nndraft:drafts.  I told him to use `D e'.
>
> I really think it would be useful for `e' to do what people expect in
> nndraft:drafts.  This means do like `D e'.  Even though it's
> different from `e' in other groups.
>
> (The old `e' could be on another binding -- `D e' is free.)
>
> Opinions?

Agreed.  I've fallen into this trap.  It would be nice to remove the
trap for future generations.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!

* Re: editing drafts
@ 2003-05-07  7:28   ` Michael R. Wolf
From: Michael R. Wolf @ 2003-05-07  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Mon, May 05 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>> I really think it would be useful for `e' to do what people expect in
>> nndraft:drafts.  This means do like `D e'.  Even though it's
>> different from `e' in other groups.
>
> ACK.
>
>> (The old `e' could be on another binding -- `D e' is free.)
>
> No, IMHO, `D e' should be kept.  It would be too confusing for people
> that are familiar with the `D e' binding.

Agreed.  'D e' *and* 'e'.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRunningWolf@att.net

* Re: editing drafts
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-05-13 17:37 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-05-13 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> A minute ago, my boss came and he also tried to use `e' to edit an
> article in nndraft:drafts.  I told him to use `D e'.
>
> I really think it would be useful for `e' to do what people expect in
> nndraft:drafts.  This means do like `D e'.  Even though it's
> different from `e' in other groups.
>
> (The old `e' could be on another binding -- `D e' is free.)
>
> Opinions?
> --
> file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: editing drafts
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-05-13 17:38 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-05-13 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> A minute ago, my boss came and he also tried to use `e' to edit an
> article in nndraft:drafts.  I told him to use `D e'.

Uhm...  why?

* Re: editing drafts
@ 2003-05-14 20:00   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-14 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> A minute ago, my boss came and he also tried to use `e' to edit an
>> article in nndraft:drafts.  I told him to use `D e'.
>
> Uhm...  why?

Because then he could send the message normally with C-c C-c.  After
`e', C-c C-c just stored the changed message in the drafts group.

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: editing drafts
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-10-18 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>>> A minute ago, my boss came and he also tried to use `e' to edit an
>>> article in nndraft:drafts.  I told him to use `D e'.
>>
>> Uhm...  why?
>
> Because then he could send the message normally with C-c C-c.  After
> `e', C-c C-c just stored the changed message in the drafts group.

Ah, yes.  I was thinking about the queue group, where `e' and `D e'
are kinda, er, identical.

Never mind.

* Re: editing drafts
@ 2003-12-11 14:15       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-12-11 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 06 2003, Derrell.Lipman@UnwiredUniverse.com wrote:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
[...]
>> Okay, I agree with Reiner now: let's use B w for
>> gnus-summary-edit-article, and D e for the draft function, and e has
>> dwimish behavior.
>
> Just to add one more voice to the ruckus...
>
> Although I've become quite used to 'D e' for the draft function, I
> still find it uncomfortable to not be able to just press 'e' for
> this purpose.  I don't mind 'D e' staying how it is, but I'd prefer
> that 'e' run the same function as 'D e'.

[See <URL:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/52308> for
the complete thread.]

It seems that we agreed on this change, but nobody actually did it.  I
will add the `e' binding, unless there are objections.

Thus, in Drafts mode, we'll have:

  `e' and `D e' -> gnus-draft-edit-message
  `B w'         -> gnus-summary-edit-article

Should `e' be added and advertised in (info "(gnus)Drafts") too or is
it better to mention only `D e' there?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: editing drafts
@ 2003-12-18 21:07         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-12-18 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 11 2003, Reiner Steib wrote:

> Thus, in Drafts mode, we'll have:
>
>   `e' and `D e' -> gnus-draft-edit-message
>   `B w'         -> gnus-summary-edit-article

Done.

When being in an article buffer (in the draft group), the draft
bindings (`D ...', `e') aren't recognized.  Does anyone want tot fix
that?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: editing drafts
@ 2003-12-31  2:38           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-12-31  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> When being in an article buffer (in the draft group), the draft
> bindings (`D ...', `e') aren't recognized.  Does anyone want tot fix
> that?

Hm...  I'd have thought that should work automatically.  Perhaps the
minor mode keymap stuff doesn't work properly for some reason or other?

* Re: editing drafts
@ 2003-12-31 10:29             ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-12-31 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 31 2003, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>
>> When being in an article buffer (in the draft group), the draft
>> bindings (`D ...', `e') aren't recognized.  Does anyone want tot fix
>> that?
>
> Hm...  I'd have thought that should work automatically.  Perhaps the
> minor mode keymap stuff doesn't work properly for some reason or other?

Dunno, I'm not familiar with that stuff.  Does it work for others?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)