* nnimap-list-pattern for UoW
@ 2000-03-01 12:11 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-01 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I'm about to connect to a UoW imapd, and my folders are residing
under ~/imap, would this be a sensible setting of nnimap-list-pattern
be ("INBOX" ("imap/" . "*")) ?

Or should I go for ("INBOX" "imap/*") ?

* Re: nnimap-list-pattern for UoW
@ 2000-03-01 13:30 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-03-01 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> If I'm about to connect to a UoW imapd, and my folders are residing
> under ~/imap, would this be a sensible setting of nnimap-list-pattern
> be ("INBOX" ("imap/" . "*")) ?
>
> Or should I go for ("INBOX" "imap/*") ?

With the UoW server I believe the two are equivalent.  The first is
more estheticly pleasing though, IMHO.

* Re: nnimap-list-pattern for UoW
@ 2000-03-01 17:22   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-01 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> If I'm about to connect to a UoW imapd, and my folders are residing
>> under ~/imap, would this be a sensible setting of nnimap-list-pattern
>> be ("INBOX" ("imap/" . "*")) ?
>>
>> Or should I go for ("INBOX" "imap/*") ?

> With the UoW server I believe the two are equivalent.  The first is
> more estheticly pleasing though, IMHO.

That's what I thought.  With the first, I can lose the "imap/" part
from the mail group name?

* Re: nnimap-list-pattern for UoW
@ 2000-03-02 11:19     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-03-02 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> >> If I'm about to connect to a UoW imapd, and my folders are residing
> >> under ~/imap, would this be a sensible setting of nnimap-list-pattern
> >> be ("INBOX" ("imap/" . "*")) ?
> >>
> >> Or should I go for ("INBOX" "imap/*") ?
>
> > With the UoW server I believe the two are equivalent.  The first is
> > more estheticly pleasing though, IMHO.
>
> That's what I thought.  With the first, I can lose the "imap/" part
> from the mail group name?

No, the REFERENCE stuff is only used when listing mailboxes. All other
operations need a fully qualified name, and does not accept a
REFERENCE.

(IMHO the IMAP base spec should go either way, either remove the
REFERENCE cludge from the LIST commands or implement it everywhere.)

((If REFERENCE was implemented on all commands, using a REFERENCE
would be a quite OK solution for achieving a short-hand group name of
a mailbox. Hm.))

* Re: nnimap-list-pattern for UoW
@ 2000-03-02 15:44       ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2000-03-02 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi Simon,

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> > > With the UoW server I believe the two are equivalent.  The first is
> > > more estheticly pleasing though, IMHO.
> >
> > That's what I thought.  With the first, I can lose the "imap/" part
> > from the mail group name?
>
> No, the REFERENCE stuff is only used when listing mailboxes. All other
> operations need a fully qualified name, and does not accept a
> REFERENCE.
>
> (IMHO the IMAP base spec should go either way, either remove the
> REFERENCE cludge from the LIST commands or implement it everywhere.)
>
> ((If REFERENCE was implemented on all commands, using a REFERENCE
> would be a quite OK solution for achieving a short-hand group name of
> a mailbox. Hm.))

I would *love* to be able to use short-hand group names and get rid of
the INBOX prefix on my cyrus daemon.

Greetings
		Christoph