* Feature request, questions
@ 1996-08-12  1:53 St. Suika Roberts
From: St. Suika Roberts @ 1996-08-12  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

The big feature request:  nnfolder+NOV ^_^
If you want I'll kludge it together, but I am really not sure if that
woulnd't be more work for you ^_^

The questions are about thread-sort-by-date and why I end up with my
sparse threads for a number of old threads with only ticked articles
at the end of the summary instead of further up where the dates of the
first article would seem to indicate that they should be.  Not too
obnoxous, but it makes one wonder.  (This shows up in my mail groups,
which I have set to sort-by-date only)

Thank you,
	Suika
--
        COMMENT
                                               wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu

* Re: Feature request, questions
@ 1996-08-12  3:46 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-12  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"St. Suika Roberts" <wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> writes:

> The big feature request:  nnfolder+NOV ^_^
> If you want I'll kludge it together, but I am really not sure if that
> woulnd't be more work for you ^_^

I'm not sure there's all that much to be gained by generating NOV
files for nnfolder folders, really...

> The questions are about thread-sort-by-date and why I end up with my
> sparse threads for a number of old threads with only ticked articles
> at the end of the summary instead of further up where the dates of the
> first article would seem to indicate that they should be.  Not too
> obnoxous, but it makes one wonder.  (This shows up in my mail groups,
> which I have set to sort-by-date only)

Yes, it's not nice, but it's a tricky problem.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Feature request, questions
@ 1996-08-12 19:47   ` St. Suika Roberts
From: St. Suika Roberts @ 1996-08-12 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> "St. Suika Roberts" <wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> writes:

>> The big feature request: nnfolder+NOV ^_^ If you want I'll kludge
>> it together, but I am really not sure if that wouldn't be more work
>> for you ^_^

LMI> I'm not sure there's all that much to be gained by generating NOV
LMI> files for nnfolder folders, really...

Only if you compress them.  I hack my source, keeping my mail folders
compressed (no problems with auto-mode-alist if all of one's mail
folders end in .gz ^_^ )  due to this the slight loss from generating
NOV files is more than compensated for by not having to gunzip all of
my mail folders at every startup or `g'.

Thanks,
	Suika
--
		wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
"The dew fell with a particularly sickening thud this morning."

* Re: Feature request, questions
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-13  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"St. Suika Roberts" <wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> writes:

> LMI> I'm not sure there's all that much to be gained by generating NOV
> LMI> files for nnfolder folders, really...
>
> Only if you compress them.  I hack my source, keeping my mail folders
> compressed (no problems with auto-mode-alist if all of one's mail
> folders end in .gz ^_^ )  due to this the slight loss from generating
> NOV files is more than compensated for by not having to gunzip all of
> my mail folders at every startup or `g'.

nnfolder shouldn't touch the folders at startup -- the active file has
all the necessary information.  At least this is the case if you have
nnfolder in your secondary select method list...

* Re: Feature request, questions
@ 1996-08-14  5:49       ` St. Suika Roberts
From: St. Suika Roberts @ 1996-08-14  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

LMI> "St. Suika Roberts" <wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> writes:

LMI> I'm not sure there's all that much to be gained by generating NOV
LMI> files for nnfolder folders, really...
>>  Only if you compress them.  I hack my source, keeping my mail
(and don't have gnus-secondary-select-methods set ^_^ )
>> folders compressed (no problems with auto-mode-alist if all of
>> one's mail folders end in .gz ^_^ ) due to this the slight loss
>> from generating NOV files is more than compensated for by not
>> having to gunzip all of my mail folders at every startup or `g'.

LMI> nnfolder shouldn't touch the folders at startup -- the active
LMI> file has all the necessary information.  At least this is the
LMI> case if you have nnfolder in your secondary select method list...

I looked, had it in gnus-secondary-select-method ^_^
BHOT BHOT BHOT BHOT really hard.
That s really makes a difference, I must say ^_^
fixed it, manually edited (OK, global replaced) the nnfolder:s and
nnfolder ""s to nnfolder+private:s and nnfolder "private"s (after
starting rgnus and finding that I lost all of the marks in the groups
when they got autosubscribed ^_^ )
It had always done that, so I had just thought that was the way it
worked ^_^

I am so happy ^_^  It works so much better this way!  startup time is
less than a tenth of what it had been ^_^

Thank you very much,
	Suika (who should find an ice pack, because banging one's head
		on the table really isn't good for it)
--
The ladies men admire, I've heard,
Would shudder at a wicked word.