* two server which I did not add
@ 2016-10-04  9:50 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2016-10-04  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

I have the following two server in gnus, in addition to a local imap and
gmane, which I have no idea where they come from and if I need them.

,----
|      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
|      {nndraft:} (opened)
`----

My questions are:

1) how did they get here, are they part of the default setup of gnus?
2) what are they used for?
3) how can I get rid of them if they are not needed (I assume that
nndraft might be useful?)?

Thanks,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: two server which I did not add
@ 2016-10-05  0:20 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2016-10-05  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 11:50:50 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> I have the following two server in gnus, in addition to a local imap and
> gmane, which I have no idea where they come from and if I need them.
> ,----
>|      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>|      {nndraft:} (opened)
> `----
> My questions are:
> 1) how did they get here, are they part of the default setup of gnus?
> 2) what are they used for?
> 3) how can I get rid of them if they are not needed (I assume that
> nndraft might be useful?)?

The nnfolder:archive method will be created when a user uses
Gnus for the first time (w/o ~/.newsrc.eld, ~/.gnus.el) for
archiving sent messages.  See: (info "(gnus)Archived Messages")

To remove it, quit Gnus, edit the ~/.newsrc.eld file and delete
the ("archive" ...) portion in the (setq gnus-server-alist...)
section.  Be extremely careful!  To turn on the show-paren-mode
is recommended.

There may be similar one, named nndoc:gnus-help .
It used to be used by the nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help group that
was created when a user uses Gnus for the first time, too.  But
the automatic creation of the group was removed at 2010-10-30.
The group should exist even now if you haven't explicitly killed
it.  Or you can create it by `G h' in the group buffer.  The
contents are that of etc/gnus-tut.txt .

The draft: method is used for handling draft messages to send.
I don't know alternative way of it, so never remove it.  See:
(info "(gnus)Drafts")

Regards,

* Re: two server which I did not add
@ 2016-10-05  7:32   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2016-10-05  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 11:50:50 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> I have the following two server in gnus, in addition to a local imap and
>> gmane, which I have no idea where they come from and if I need them.
>> ,----
>>|      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>>|      {nndraft:} (opened)
>> `----
>> My questions are:
>> 1) how did they get here, are they part of the default setup of gnus?
>> 2) what are they used for?
>> 3) how can I get rid of them if they are not needed (I assume that
>> nndraft might be useful?)?
>
> The nnfolder:archive method will be created when a user uses
> Gnus for the first time (w/o ~/.newsrc.eld, ~/.gnus.el) for
> archiving sent messages.  See: (info "(gnus)Archived Messages")
>
> To remove it, quit Gnus, edit the ~/.newsrc.eld file and delete
> the ("archive" ...) portion in the (setq gnus-server-alist...)
> section.  Be extremely careful!  To turn on the show-paren-mode
> is recommended.
>
> There may be similar one, named nndoc:gnus-help .
> It used to be used by the nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help group that
> was created when a user uses Gnus for the first time, too.  But
> the automatic creation of the group was removed at 2010-10-30.
> The group should exist even now if you haven't explicitly killed
> it.  Or you can create it by `G h' in the group buffer.  The
> contents are that of etc/gnus-tut.txt .
>
> The draft: method is used for handling draft messages to send.
> I don't know alternative way of it, so never remove it.  See:
> (info "(gnus)Drafts")

Thanks for the info - as they are more or less part of gnus, I'll just
leave them where they are.

Rainer

--

@ 2016-10-05 16:24     ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2016-10-05 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug writes:

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 11:50:50 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>>> I have the following two server in gnus, in addition to a
>>> local imap and gmane, which I have no idea where they come
>>> from and if I need them.
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>> My questions are:
>>> 1) how did they get here, are they part of the default setup
>>> of gnus?
>>> 2) what are they used for?
>>> 3) how can I get rid of them if they are not needed (I assume
>>> that nndraft might be useful?)?
>>
>> The nnfolder:archive method will be created when a user uses
>> Gnus for the first time (w/o ~/.newsrc.eld, ~/.gnus.el) for
>> archiving sent messages.  See: (info "(gnus)Archived Messages")
>>
>> To remove it, quit Gnus, edit the ~/.newsrc.eld file and delete
>> the ("archive" ...) portion in the (setq gnus-server-alist...)
>> section.  Be extremely careful!  To turn on the show-paren-mode
>> is recommended.

The archive keeps the messages you have sent. Because my imap
keeps a copy of the sent messages, I do not need a local copy. I
think I removed it just by setting gnus-message-archive-method to
nil.

>> The draft: method is used for handling draft messages to send.
>> I don't know alternative way of it, so never remove it.  See:
>> (info "(gnus)Drafts")
>
> Thanks for the info - as they are more or less part of gnus,
> I'll just leave them where they are.

Yes, the draft has messages that you are editing but haven't sent
yet.

Best,
--
Jorge.

* Re: two server which I did not add
@ 2016-10-07 12:35       ` Lynbech Christian
From: Lynbech Christian @ 2016-10-07 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo; +Cc: ding

Saving messages locally can seem a bit unnecessary but so many things
can go wrong when sending emails so I like to know that I always have
the original email at hand.

An alternative to saving sent messages (whether within gnus or on an
imap server) is to use the BCC field, for instance by setting:

    (setq message-default-mail-headers (format "Bcc: %s\n" user-mail-address))

On top of getting a copy of the sent email (and having it appear inside
the message thread), you get it through the email system which slightly
increases ones confidence in the email having gone out.

                              -- Christian

-----------------------
On Wed, Oct 05 2016, Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo wrote:

Rainer M Krug writes:

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 11:50:50 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>>> I have the following two server in gnus, in addition to a local
>>> imap and gmane, which I have no idea where they come from and if I
>>> need them.
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>> My questions are:
>>> 1) how did they get here, are they part of the default setup of
>>> gnus?
>>> 2) what are they used for?
>>> 3) how can I get rid of them if they are not needed (I assume that
>>> nndraft might be useful?)?
>>
>> The nnfolder:archive method will be created when a user uses Gnus
>> for the first time (w/o ~/.newsrc.eld, ~/.gnus.el) for archiving
>> sent messages.  See: (info "(gnus)Archived Messages")
>>
>> To remove it, quit Gnus, edit the ~/.newsrc.eld file and delete the
>> ("archive" ...) portion in the (setq gnus-server-alist...) section.
>> Be extremely careful!  To turn on the show-paren-mode is
>> recommended.

The archive keeps the messages you have sent. Because my imap keeps a
copy of the sent messages, I do not need a local copy. I think I
removed it just by setting gnus-message-archive-method to nil.

>> The draft: method is used for handling draft messages to send. I
>> don't know alternative way of it, so never remove it.  See: (info
>> "(gnus)Drafts")
>
> Thanks for the info - as they are more or less part of gnus, I'll
> just leave them where they are.

Yes, the draft has messages that you are editing but haven't sent yet.

Best,
--
Jorge.

* Snippet formatting (was: two server which I did not add)
@ 2016-10-11  4:47 ` Arkady Grudzinsky
From: Arkady Grudzinsky @ 2016-10-11  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Oct 04 2016, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> ,----
> |      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
> |      {nndraft:} (opened)
> `----

How do you get this formatting?  I found C-c M-m
'message-mark-inserted-region' in the mode manual, but it does
something else.

Thanks.

--
Arkady

* Re: Snippet formatting
@ 2016-10-11  5:52   ` Arkady Grudzinsky
From: Arkady Grudzinsky @ 2016-10-11  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, Oct 10 2016, Arkady Grudzinsky wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 04 2016, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>
>> ,----
>> |      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>> |      {nndraft:} (opened)
>> `----
>
> How do you get this formatting?  I found C-c M-m
> 'message-mark-inserted-region' in the mode manual, but it does
> something else.
>
> Thanks.

Ah, boxquote.el.  Just noticed the same question in another
thread right after sending mine.

Never mind.

--
Arkady