* Re: should mbox be opened in unibyte mode
@ 2000-05-05 21:50 Janusz S. Bien
From: Janusz S. Bien @ 2000-05-05 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes

>binary is an alias for no-conversion in FSF Emacs.  XEmacs used not to have
>a no-conversion (that may have changed).  So be careful.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this difference.

Regards

Janusz

                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW
Prof. Janusz S. Bien, Warsaw Uniwersity
Na tym koncie czytam i wysylam poczte i wiadomosci offline -
prosze nie oczekiwac szybkiej odpowiedzi!
Data w naglowku to data rozpoczecia pisania listu, a nie jego wyslania.
On this account I read/post mail/news offline - do not expect
an immediate answer!
The date in the header refers to the moment when I started to write
the letter, not to the moment when I sent it.

* Re: should mbox be opened in unibyte mode
@ 2000-05-23  5:26 Janusz S. Bien
From: Janusz S. Bien @ 2000-05-23  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Vladimir Volovich

Vladimir wrote:

>Here at home i only have GNU Emacs 20.4, and describe-coding-system
>says about `binary':

[...]
>Perhaps, 20.6 has a more verbose description (which states in
>particular that 'binary forces unibyte).

There is no substantial difference between GNU 20.4 and 20.6 in this
respect (21 will introduce some important changes).

My quotation come from the "Coding systems" section of Emacs manual
--- look at "International character support" chapter or search the
info files for relevant phrases. The Elisp manual contains also
useful information (IHMO, some of it would be better placed in the
user manual).

>(btw, where i can access the current CVS emacs version for testing?)

It's not so simple, but you definitely will be welcomed as a
pretester. Contact Gerd Moellmann <gerd@gnu.org> for details.

>(BTW, when a buffer is multibyte, C-x RET f binary RET is not supposed
>to switch to unibyte mode, right? only opening a file with a binary
>mode (C-x RET c binary RET C-x C-f filename RET) does this?)

Right.

Regards

Janusz

                     ,

@ 2000-05-22  6:06 Janusz S. Bien
From: Janusz S. Bien @ 2000-05-22  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Vladimir Volovich

Vladimir wrote:

>is the above about XEmacs or GNU Emacs? If it is about GNU Emacs, then
>why setting nnmbox-file-coding-system to 'binary does not switch off
>multibyte characters?

What I wrote is about GNU Emacs and is based on its manual for
version 20.6, the output of `describe-coding-system' and simple
experiments with opening e.g. HELLO file with the `binary' coding
system.

>is the above about XEmacs or GNU Emacs? If it is about GNU Emacs, then
>why setting nnmbox-file-coding-system to 'binary does not switch off
>multibyte characters?

Looks like some tracing should be done to check whether the values of
`nnmbox-file-coding-system' and `nnmbox-active-file-coding-system'
are really used when opening mbox.

Regards

Janusz

                     ,

@ 2000-05-21 14:08 Janusz S. Bien
From: Janusz S. Bien @ 2000-05-21 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Vladimir Volovich

> JSB> You both are right.
>[...]
> JSB> It, too, sets `enable-multibyte-characters' to `nil'.
> JSB> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>i've tried the above settings of nnmbox-file-coding-system and
>nnmbox-active-file-coding-system but nevertheless mbox is still opened
>in multibyte mode (in violation with the above).

Do you use XEmacs or GNU Emacs? This appeared to be relevant.

You can force (in GNU Emacs) the current buffer to unibyte mode with
`toggle-enable-multibyte-characters'. Does it help?

Regards

Janusz

P.S. I am now too busy to read this list systematically, I only peek
occasionally at some subjects. I am sorry if I missed some other
comments to my postings.

                     ,

@ 2000-05-05  5:42 Janusz S. Bien
From: Janusz S. Bien @ 2000-05-05  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Shenghuo ZHU, Vladimir Volovich

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> [...]
[...]
VV> i thought a bit on this, and it seems that mbox MUST be opened in
VV> unibyte mode, otherwise the results will be broken.
[...]
>I think unibyte mode does not really matter how mbox is opened, but
>the coding-system does. Have you tried
>
>(setq nnmbox-file-coding-system 'binary)
>(setq nnmbox-active-file-coding-system 'binary)

You both are right.

`binary' is just an alias for `no-conversion'. Here's what the manual
says about it:

   In contrast, the coding system `no-conversion' specifies no
character code conversion at all--none for non-ASCII byte values and
none for end of line.  This is useful for reading or writing binary
files, tar files, and other files that must be examined verbatim.  It,
too, sets `enable-multibyte-characters' to `nil'.
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>It might solve the problem.

I think it should.

Best regards

Janusz

                     ,

@ 2000-05-04 11:04 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 2000-05-04 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

gnus seems to open mbox (file for nnmbox backend) in multibyte mode.
i just thought that this could be the reason for problems which i
described earlier (certain character combinations in the range
0x80-0x9f which happen to come with some mail messages choke emacs and
this results in huge delays and incorrect gnus behavior).

i think that a very probably fix to it would be to open mbox file in
unibyte mode.

nevertheless, the original problem should be solved too (i'll try to
prepare a bug report soon and will send it to Mr. Handa).

Best,
v.