* I am posting, so the weekend must have started already
@ 1997-12-19 20:19 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-12-19 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

This new schedule (five days coma; two days posting) is ok, but I
don't seem to get much work done.  (You know.  As in writing More
Stuff For The Beast That Is Gnus.)  So here's my plan for the next
months:

1) Do nothing until after Xmas.
2) Do nothing in January.
3) Do lots of things the rest of the year.

Hopefully life won't intervene on point 3, but it's looking ok.

* Re: I am posting, so the weekend must have started already
@ 1997-12-19 22:16 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1997-12-19 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> 1) Do nothing until after Xmas.
Lars> 2) Do nothing in January.

*gasp*...  Do you think you can make it that long?  Don't you get the
shakes?  (aside: if possible, could you release 0.19 before then)

Lars> 3) Do lots of things the rest of the year.

Lars> Hopefully life won't intervene on point 3, but it's looking ok.

Didn't mean to imply you were doing something wrong...  Life is much
more important than Gnus (I can already see the people lining up at my
door with shotguns for saying this).

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: I am posting, so the weekend must have started already
@ 1998-01-04  9:18   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-04  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Lars> 1) Do nothing until after Xmas.
> Lars> 2) Do nothing in January.
>
> *gasp*...  Do you think you can make it that long?  Don't you get the
> shakes?  (aside: if possible, could you release 0.19 before then)

I don't mean *nothing* nothing.  I mean "nothing" as in "not
programming anything new" "nothing".  *sob*

> Lars> 3) Do lots of things the rest of the year.
>
> Lars> Hopefully life won't intervene on point 3, but it's looking ok.
>
> Didn't mean to imply you were doing something wrong...

I didn't infer that, either.  I thought your post was hilarious.

> Life is much more important than Gnus (I can already see the people
> lining up at my door with shotguns for saying this).

I don't agree with this.  I think Gnus is more important² than
life¹. :-)

-------
¹) "stuff"; i. e. "work"
²) "fun"

* Re: I am posting, so the weekend must have started already
@ 1998-01-04 15:46     ` Hans de Graaff
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1998-01-04 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't agree with this.  I think Gnus is more important² than
> life¹. :-)
>
> -------
> ¹) "stuff"; i. e. "work"
> ²) "fun"

So what would happen should we start to, uhm, pay you for working on
Gnus?

Hans

* Re: I am posting, so the weekend must have started already
@ 1998-01-04 16:12     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-04 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> I don't agree with this.  I think Gnus is more important² than
Lars> life¹. :-)

Lars> -------
Lars> ¹) "stuff"; i. e. "work"
Lars> ²) "fun"

Mistake:  You're calling "work" life and other stuff "fun".  I don't
think you should be considering "life" to be "work" but rather "life"
to be "fun".

I'm now read to write message-quote-word-at-point after these
"sentences".

--

@ 1998-01-05  4:06       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-05  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans de Graaff <graaff@xs4all.nl> writes:

> So what would happen should we start to, uhm, pay you for working on
> Gnus?

Not much more, I think.  Getting paid for something that's fun is sure
to drain all the fun out of it, dontcha think?

* Re: I am posting, so the weekend must have started already
@ 1998-01-05  4:07       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-05  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Mistake:  You're calling "work" life and other stuff "fun".  I don't
> think you should be considering "life" to be "work" but rather "life"
> to be "fun".

I dunno.  Working¹ seems more "real" to me than "fun".  Not that I
prefer "real" to "fun", but since life is "real", then work must be a
subset of "life", and "fun" is not a subset of "life".

* Re: I am posting, so the weekend must have started already
@ 1998-01-05 10:15         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-01-05 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> Not much more, I think.  Getting paid for something that's fun
  Lars> is sure to drain all the fun out of it, dontcha think?

Yes.  Well, mostly.  See: http://www.naggum.no/motivation.html

kai
--
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/

* Re: I am posting, so the weekend must have started already
@ 1998-01-05 10:23         ` Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren
From: Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren @ 1998-01-05 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen]

| Not much more, I think.  Getting paid for something that's fun is sure
| to drain all the fun out of it, dontcha think?

http://www.naggum.no/motivation.html

please not tho that the article has got the technical term «reward»
wrong: a «reward» is only such if it increases the strength or
probablity of behavior.  what actually happens is that the organism
reacts differently after money has been introduced as a reward,
indicating that money under certain circumstances ceases to function as
a reward.  (money is probably always a contrived reinforcer).

but I digress.

happy new year, Lars!

--

       Rolf Lindgren           |       "The opinions expressed above are
       Sofienberggt. 13b       |        not necessarily those of anyone"

* Re: I am posting, so the weekend must have started already
@ 1998-01-05 16:26         ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-05 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Working¹ seems more "real" to me than "fun".

Hey, now...  Haven't you heard the expression:  "hey man, that's real fun!"

--

@ 1998-01-05 19:59     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-01-05 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII, Size: 259 bytes --]

> I don't agree with this.  I think Gnus is more important² than
> life¹. :-)

Well, given the facts that Emacs *is* life, and Gnus *is* a part of
Emacs, it doesn't make sense to ask what is more important.

* Gnus and Life (was Re: I am posting, so the weekend must have started already)
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-01-13 23:50     ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1998-01-13 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)