* Agent forgets its servers
@ 2002-12-11 16:08 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-11 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

With the most recent change by Kevin, I see that Gnus forgets which
servers are agentized.  I'm sitting in the train and Gnus tried to
connect to the servers.  (I start "emacs -f kai-gnus-unplugged" when
I log in which in turn executes gnus-unplugged.)

So I thought, maybe it's a one-time-only thing and went to the server
buffer and agentized all servers and closed them and exited Gnus.
Then (in the same Emacs) I did M-x gnus-unplugged RET and Gnus had
forgotten again that the servers were agentized.

Maybe this is relevant:

/----[ vdir ~/News/agent/lib ]
| total 8
| -rw-rw----    1 kai      kai            30 Nov 26 18:35 categories
| -rw-rw----    1 kai      kai            84 Dec 11 16:56 servers
\----

* Re: Agent forgets its servers
@ 2002-12-11 20:39 ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2002-12-11 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> With the most recent change by Kevin, I see that Gnus forgets which
> servers are agentized.  I'm sitting in the train and Gnus tried to
> connect to the servers.  (I start "emacs -f kai-gnus-unplugged" when
> I log in which in turn executes gnus-unplugged.)

> So I thought, maybe it's a one-time-only thing and went to the server
> buffer and agentized all servers and closed them and exited Gnus.
> Then (in the same Emacs) I did M-x gnus-unplugged RET and Gnus had
> forgotten again that the servers were agentized.

> Maybe this is relevant:

> /----[ vdir ~/News/agent/lib ]
> | total 8
> | -rw-rw----    1 kai      kai            30 Nov 26 18:35 categories
> | -rw-rw----    1 kai      kai            84 Dec 11 16:56 servers
> \----

Well this explains the problem with gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article
however, I think the date on your servers file may be a red herring.
Mine did not change and the contents of the file look the way I think
I remember they should.  It contains a list

("nnimap:server1" "nnimap:server2" nil)

Or should that be a more fully qualified server spec?
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Agent forgets its servers
@ 2002-12-12 11:38   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-12 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> Well this explains the problem with gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article
> however, I think the date on your servers file may be a red herring.

Actually, I wanted to show that there is a file `servers' but no file
`methods'.  I think that and old version used one file name and a new
version uses the other file name, but I forget which is which.

* Re: Agent forgets its servers
@ 2002-12-12 11:40   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-12 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> Well this explains the problem with gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article

Indeed.  Hm.  What does gnus-agent-covered-methods say when you have
a problem with gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article?

I couldn't reproduce anymore the problem with the agent forgetting its
servers.  It seems this bug is similar to a Schroederbug, but it
allows you to look twice before it disappears.

* Re: Agent forgets its servers
@ 2002-12-13 13:10 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2002-12-13 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> With the most recent change by Kevin, I see that Gnus forgets which
> servers are agentized.  I'm sitting in the train and Gnus tried to
> connect to the servers.  (I start "emacs -f kai-gnus-unplugged" when
> I log in which in turn executes gnus-unplugged.)

FWIW, this happened to me too when just now when I updated Gnus.  I
entered the server buffer and added my newsserver, and now the agent
remembers it.

* Re: Agent forgets its servers
@ 2002-12-14  6:36   ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2002-12-14  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg <henrik@enberg.org> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> With the most recent change by Kevin, I see that Gnus forgets which
>> servers are agentized.
>
> FWIW, this happened to me too when just now when I updated Gnus.

Same here and *not* fixed yet:
If I update Gnus all my (agentized) nntp groups seem to be empty from the
group buffer and the server buffer does not mention the agent any more.

I did not inquire any further, but paniqued, left Gnus without saving
and restored an earlyer version from a backup ;-)

Robert Epprecht

* Re: Agent forgets its servers
@ 2002-12-14  7:04     ` kgreiner
From: kgreiner @ 2002-12-14  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@cybercity.ch> writes:

> Henrik Enberg <henrik@enberg.org> writes:
>
>> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>>
>>> With the most recent change by Kevin, I see that Gnus forgets which
>>> servers are agentized.
>>
>> FWIW, this happened to me too when just now when I updated Gnus.
>
> Same here and *not* fixed yet:

Actually, the problem is that gnus-agent has been fixed.  The 6.97
revision introduced a typo that did two things 1) it caused the
lib/servers file to forget every agentized server and 2) it triggered
some default code so that every server would be agentized in the
current session (Not bad for a one word change :) ).  Now that the
typo has been fixed, the invalid lib/servers is being read.  The only
permanent fix is to open the server buffer and add selected servers
back into the agent.

> If I update Gnus all my (agentized) nntp groups seem to be empty from the
> group buffer and the server buffer does not mention the agent any more.
>
> I did not inquire any further, but paniqued, left Gnus without saving
> and restored an earlyer version from a backup ;-)
>
> Robert Epprecht

Keep an eye out for the next couple of days.  If you don't see
anything dangerous reported, it should be safe for you to try the new
version.

Kevin