* Better integration of the new Gnus FAQ in Oort
@ 2003-04-11 14:35 Reiner Steib
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-04-11 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: faq-discuss

Hi,

up to now, we have the Gnus FAQ as an article in the group
`nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help'.  It's planned to convert the FAQ from
docbook to info format, but this hasn't been done, because of
technical problems (Frank Schmitt may provide details).

Wouldn't it be nice, if we could refer to the FAQ in a convenient
manner when answering postings in Gnus newsgroups?  There should be
buttons to be able to refer directly to some FAQ entry or to start a
text search within the FAQ, e.g.:

  (gnus-faq-search "mm-text-html-renderer")
  (gnus-faq-goto-heading "render my HTML-mails")
  (gnus-faq-goto-item "4.7") ; maybe?

Similar to the buttons that we have for info already:

  (Info-goto-node "(gnus)Group Information")
  <info://gnus/Group+Information>

It would make much sense, if we could get this to work before the
release of Gnus 5.10.

An advantage of the above mentioned `gnus-faq-*' functions would be,
that we can still use the buttons and functions when the FAQ has been
converted to info successfully: Instead of jumping to the nndoc
article, the functions will go to the info node.

What do people think?  I could add the buttons easily.  Can someone
give me hints on how to implement the "jump to
`nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help' and go to ..." part in a reasonably
manner?  Or better send code. ;-)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,