* expiry-target
@ 2000-06-16  2:12 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-06-16  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Where can one read about how to use `expiry-target'?

Can it be used in Group Params?  If so does one set the variable to
something besides default first?

If user wants to use the expiry-target fucntion on a specific group,
how is this accomplished?

Is it as easy as suggested in  Hrvoje Niksic's post?

Something like:

((total-expire . t)
 (expiry-wait . 1)
 (expiry-target . "nnml:oldmisc"))

This isn't working for me.

Lars response to Hrvoje indicates it is implimented  in 5.8.5  but I
find no directions for it in 5.8.7.

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-13 18:52 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-08-13 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ((total-expire . t)
>  (expiry-wait . 1)
>  (expiry-target . "nnml:oldmisc"))
>
> This isn't working for me.

expiry-target is only implemented for nnml groups so far.

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-13 19:10   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-08-13 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > ((total-expire . t)
> >  (expiry-wait . 1)
> >  (expiry-target . "nnml:oldmisc"))
> >
> > This isn't working for me.
>
> expiry-target is only implemented for nnml groups so far.

I only have nnml groups but haven't been able to get this working.

Can you supply an example of the necessary var settings and the code
that would be appropriate in group params.  Maybe even replete with
some of the good Lars humor.

I've requested examples both here and on gnu.emacs.gnus.  As have a
number of other people.  None have been forthcoming, making me think
there aren't many people, possibly none using this feature.

A few posters responded with messages saying this feature doesn't work
for them.

You've carefully provided many examples of various functions
throughout gnus info.  This seems like a good candidtate for a few
simple examples too.

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-13 19:35   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-08-13 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 Aug 2000, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>> ((total-expire . t)
>>  (expiry-wait . 1)
>>  (expiry-target . "nnml:oldmisc"))
>>
>> This isn't working for me.
>
> expiry-target is only implemented for nnml groups so far.

Does the source group have to be nnml, or the target group, or both?
On the same server?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-13 23:29     ` Rod Whitby
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Rod Whitby @ 2000-08-13 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

> I only have nnml groups but haven't been able to get this working.
>
> Can you supply an example of the necessary var settings and the code
> that would be appropriate in group params.  Maybe even replete with
> some of the good Lars humor.
>
> I've requested examples both here and on gnu.emacs.gnus.  As have a
> number of other people.  None have been forthcoming, making me think
> there aren't many people, possibly none using this feature.
>
> A few posters responded with messages saying this feature doesn't work
> for them.

And I've twice now supplied the patches which makes it work.  Are my
messages getting through to the list, or are they going into a black
hole somewhere ?  Harry or Lars, can you please reply to me personally
if you see this message on the list.  I've CC'd Lars just in case
there is something which is stopping my messages getting to the list.

The functionality of setting nnmail-expiry-target to a string (i.e. a
group to which the expired articles should be moved, instead of being
deleted) just plain does not work.  Therefore, there must be no-one
but me using it (and no-one but Harry trying to use it) :-)

Anyway, here's some patches (against a pretty recent snapshot, and I
don't think anything around them has changed since) that do the
following:

1/ [gnus-sum.el, gnus-summary-expire-articles]

   Fix the handling of expiry-target group parameters.

2/ [nnml.el, nnml-request-expire-articles]

   Fix the calls to nnml-request-article (the filename was being
   passed instead of the article number) and
   nnmail-expiry-target-group (nnml-current-directory is changed by
   nnml-request-accept-article, causing it to be incorrect for the
   next article to be expired).

3/ [nnmail.el, nnmail-expiry-target-group]

   Fix the call to gnus-request-accept-article so that body encoding
   is *not* done.  Encoding is not done on incoming mail, so why
   should it be done on expired mail?

This is my first patch submission to the ding mailing list, so please
let me know if I should have submitted these in another format (in
particular, how do you get the nice ChangeLog entries?), and also how
I should proceed in getting these checked into CVS.

For those interested, the reason why I found these problems is because
I have just set up my nnml:INBOX to expire to a nnml:DELETED folder
immediately, and then the nnml:DELETED folder really deletes the
messages after a long time.  Sort of like the Trash folder in
Netscape, only better :-) Now I can set display to 'all in my
nnml:INBOX group parameters and use the tick marks properly, while
still seeing my other unfiled mail when I enter the folder normally.

diff -c /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/gnus-sum.el~ /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/gnus-sum.el
*** /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/gnus-sum.el~	Tue Jul 25 05:56:17 2000
--- /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/gnus-sum.el	Tue Jul 25 05:56:17 2000
***************
*** 7682,7687 ****
--- 7682,7690 ----
  	   (expiry-wait (if now 'immediate
  			  (gnus-group-find-parameter
  			   gnus-newsgroup-name 'expiry-wait)))
+ 	   (nnmail-expiry-target
+ 	    (or (gnus-group-find-parameter gnus-newsgroup-name 'expiry-target)
+ 		nnmail-expiry-target))
  	   es)
        (when expirable
  	;; There are expirable articles in this group, so we run them

diff -c /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/nnml.el~ /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/nnml.el
*** /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/nnml.el~	Tue Jul 25 05:07:35 2000
--- /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/nnml.el	Tue Jul 25 05:07:35 2000
***************
*** 289,300 ****
  		;; Allow a special target group.
  		(unless (eq nnmail-expiry-target 'delete)
  		  (with-temp-buffer
! 		    (nnml-request-article article group server
  					  (current-buffer))
! 		    (nnmail-expiry-target-group
! 		     nnmail-expiry-target group)))
  		(nnheader-message 5 "Deleting article %s in %s"
! 				  article group)
  		(condition-case ()
  		    (funcall nnmail-delete-file-function article)
  		  (file-error
--- 289,301 ----
  		;; Allow a special target group.
  		(unless (eq nnmail-expiry-target 'delete)
  		  (with-temp-buffer
! 		    (nnml-request-article number group server
  					  (current-buffer))
! 		    (let ((nnml-current-directory nil))
! 		      (nnmail-expiry-target-group
! 		       nnmail-expiry-target group))))
  		(nnheader-message 5 "Deleting article %s in %s"
! 				  number group)
  		(condition-case ()
  		    (funcall nnmail-delete-file-function article)
  		  (file-error

diff -c /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/nnmail.el~ /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/nnmail.el
*** /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/nnmail.el~	Tue Jul 25 05:08:51 2000
--- /gnu/XEmacs/site-packages/gnus/lisp/nnmail.el	Tue Jul 25 05:08:51 2000
***************
*** 1610,1616 ****
    (when (nnheader-functionp target)
      (setq target (funcall target group)))
    (unless (eq target 'delete)
!     (gnus-request-accept-article target)))

  (defun nnmail-check-syntax ()
    "Check (and modify) the syntax of the message in the current buffer."
--- 1610,1616 ----
    (when (nnheader-functionp target)
      (setq target (funcall target group)))
    (unless (eq target 'delete)
!     (gnus-request-accept-article target nil nil t)))

  (defun nnmail-check-syntax ()
    "Check (and modify) the syntax of the message in the current buffer."

--
-- Rod Whitby, Snr Staff Engr, Electronic Design Automation --
-- Motorola Australia Software Centre - Adelaide, Australia --

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-14  1:16       ` Harry Putnam
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-08-14  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Rod Whitby

Rod Whitby <list.ding@rwhitby.net> writes:

> > I only have nnml groups but haven't been able to get this working.
> >
> > Can you supply an example of the necessary var settings and the code
> > that would be appropriate in group params.  Maybe even replete with
> > some of the good Lars humor.

[...]

> And I've twice now supplied the patches which makes it work.  Are my
> messages getting through to the list, or are they going into a black
> hole somewhere ?  Harry or Lars, can you please reply to me personally
> if you see this message on the list.  I've CC'd Lars just in case
> there is something which is stopping my messages getting to the list.

[...]

Rob,
Sorry to have steadfastly ignored your patches.  My reasons were, that
I have very little experience using patches, the few times I have it
has been directly from a gnus article buffer to the appropriate el
files, via the `O p' command (save to a pipe) piping to patch.

In this case patch tells me it sees only garbage in the patch.
Probably something I'm doing wrong.

Secondly in your several posts on this, including patches, you have
steadfastly refused to supply an example of how this works or what it
looks like.  Being a lisp illiterate, I need to see examples to see
how it is supposed to work.

So on the strenghth of your most recent post.  I saved your patch to
file (expiry-patch.diff)  put it in pgnus/lisp and called
`patch <expiry-patch.diff'  The patch went in smoothly and reported:

   /usr/local/pgnus/lisp $ patch <expiry-patch.diff
   patching file `gnus-sum.el'
   Hunk #1 succeeded at 7683 (offset 1 line).
   patching file `nnml.el'
   patching file `nnmail.el'

Now what?

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-14  3:17         ` Rod Whitby
From: Rod Whitby @ 2000-08-14  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Rob,

That's Rod to my friends :-)
         ^
> Sorry to have steadfastly ignored your patches.  My reasons were, that
> I have very little experience using patches, the few times I have it
> has been directly from a gnus article buffer to the appropriate el
> files, via the `O p' command (save to a pipe) piping to patch.

At least now I know that my posts are getting through :-) I was hoping
that I would get a "yep, we're happy with that patch and will apply it
to the next version" response, but I now notice that Lars is now
responding to a backlog of mail.  Is Lars the only CVS committer, or
is there a group (like for XEmacs patch reviewers) ?  Is ding@gnus.org
the best place to post patches.  Is there are specific subject header
required ?

> In this case patch tells me it sees only garbage in the patch.
> Probably something I'm doing wrong.

I'm probably not formatting the patch properly so that it can be
automatically applied.  Hopefully, someone can show me the best way to
submit patches.  I don't have CVS access (firewall issue), so I work
from RCS'd snapshots.

> Secondly in your several posts on this, including patches, you have
> steadfastly refused to supply an example of how this works or what it
> looks like.  Being a lisp illiterate, I need to see examples to see
> how it is supposed to work.

No problem.  I didn't realise I was being asked, so I didn't realise I
was steadfastly refusing :-)

In my group parameters for my nnml:INBOX folder, I have:

((expiry-wait . immediate)
 (expiry-target . "nnml:DELETED")
 (dummy
  (progn
    (local-set-key "d"
		   'gnus-summary-put-mark-as-expirable-next)
    nil)))

So the 'd' (for delete) key marks the message as expirable, and the
messages are expired as soon as I leave the group (the immediate value
for expiry-wait).  You don't need that if you're happy with the 'E'
binding for expiry or can retrain your fingers after they used VM for
a number of years.  Now "expired" means "moved to the nnml:DELETED
folder" for this group.  This is analogous to the "Trash" folder in
Netscape.

In my group parameters for my nnml:DELETED folder, I have:

((expiry-wait . 31)
 (expiry-target . delete))

So I keep deleted mail for a month, and then it goes into the big bit
bucket in the sky.  Just like the "Empty Trash" in Netscape, except it
happens automatically (and incrementally instead of all-at-once).

If you need further help, feel free to email me.

--

@ 2000-08-14  4:14           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-08-14  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rod Whitby <list.ding@rwhitby.net> writes:

> > Rob,
>
> That's Rod to my friends :-)

Whoops

> > Sorry to have steadfastly ignored your patches.  My reasons were, that
> > I have very little experience using patches, the few times I have it
> > has been directly from a gnus article buffer to the appropriate el
> > files, via the `O p' command (save to a pipe) piping to patch.
>
> At least now I know that my posts are getting through :-) I was hoping
> that I would get a "yep, we're happy with that patch and will apply it
> to the next version" response, but I now notice that Lars is now
> responding to a backlog of mail.  Is Lars the only CVS committer, or
> is there a group (like for XEmacs patch reviewers) ?  Is ding@gnus.org
> the best place to post patches.  Is there are specific subject header
> required ?

There are more cvs committers I believe, but best let them answer that.

> > In this case patch tells me it sees only garbage in the patch.
> > Probably something I'm doing wrong.
>
> I'm probably not formatting the patch properly so that it can be
> automatically applied.  Hopefully, someone can show me the best way to
> submit patches.  I don't have CVS access (firewall issue), so I work
> from RCS'd snapshots.

Well it did its job painlessly when I moved the patch to pgnus/lisp/

> > Secondly in your several posts on this, including patches, you have
> > steadfastly refused to supply an example of how this works or what it
> > looks like.  Being a lisp illiterate, I need to see examples to see
> > how it is supposed to work.
>
> No problem.  I didn't realise I was being asked, so I didn't realise I
> was steadfastly refusing :-)

Well, not to labor a point but the messages I posted, that you replied
to with your patch, *all* made requests for examples.

> In my group parameters for my nnml:INBOX folder, I have:
>
> ((expiry-wait . immediate)
>  (expiry-target . "nnml:DELETED")
>  (dummy
>   (progn
>     (local-set-key "d"
> 		   'gnus-summary-put-mark-as-expirable-next)
>     nil)))
>
> So the 'd' (for delete) key marks the message as expirable, and the
> messages are expired as soon as I leave the group (the immediate value
> for expiry-wait).  You don't need that if you're happy with the 'E'
> binding for expiry or can retrain your fingers after they used VM for
> a number of years.  Now "expired" means "moved to the nnml:DELETED
> folder" for this group.  This is analogous to the "Trash" folder in
> Netscape.

OK, so only the first two lines are directly about the targetted
expiry?  What does `dummy' do.

What does C-h v nnmail-expiry-target <RET> say on your setup?

Does this mean that (with your patch in place) I could say:
 ((total-expire . t)
 (expiry-wait . 14)
 (expiry-target . "nnml:TARGET")

In group params of a group and expirable stuff would show up in
nnml:TARGET in two weeks?

I can find out by experiments but its too late tonight and it would be
nice to know what to expect tomorrow when I try it out.

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-14  4:23             ` Rod Whitby
From: Rod Whitby @ 2000-08-14  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > No problem.  I didn't realise I was being asked, so I didn't realise I
> > was steadfastly refusing :-)
>
> Well, not to labor a point but the messages I posted, that you replied
> to with your patch, *all* made requests for examples.

Agreed.  My eyes seem to have skipped the request for examples.

> > In my group parameters for my nnml:INBOX folder, I have:
> >
> > ((expiry-wait . immediate)
> >  (expiry-target . "nnml:DELETED")
> >  (dummy
> >   (progn
> >     (local-set-key "d"
> > 		   'gnus-summary-put-mark-as-expirable-next)
> >     nil)))
> >
> > So the 'd' (for delete) key marks the message as expirable, and the
> > messages are expired as soon as I leave the group (the immediate value
> > for expiry-wait).  You don't need that if you're happy with the 'E'
> > binding for expiry or can retrain your fingers after they used VM for
> > a number of years.  Now "expired" means "moved to the nnml:DELETED
> > folder" for this group.  This is analogous to the "Trash" folder in
> > Netscape.
>
> OK, so only the first two lines are directly about the targetted
> expiry?  What does `dummy' do.

Yes.  The dummy variable is there so you can do the call to
local-set-key (see section 2.10 of the Gnus manual, under the entry
for "(variable form)".

> What does C-h v nnmail-expiry-target <RET> say on your setup?

'delete' - that is the default, and I override it with the group
parameters for certain groups.  The patches make sure that this works
as expected.

> Does this mean that (with your patch in place) I could say:
>  ((total-expire . t)
>  (expiry-wait . 14)
>  (expiry-target . "nnml:TARGET")
>
> In group params of a group and expirable stuff would show up in
> nnml:TARGET in two weeks?

That's what I would expect.

I have the following setting for mailing lists (including this one):

((total-expire . t)
 (expiry-target . delete)
 (expiry-wait . 7))

... and it works with the patch applied.

--

@ 2000-08-14  8:11       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-08-14  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

On 14 Aug 2000, Rod Whitby wrote:

> And I've twice now supplied the patches which makes it work.  Are my
> messages getting through to the list, or are they going into a black
> hole somewhere ?

I was waiting for someone more competent to apply the patches.  Since
I don't use expiry-target, I don't know whether they work.  But I have
now scanned the code, and my humble Lisp knowledge suggests that they
work.  So I have now committed the patches.

Feel free to flame me if it doesn't work...

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-14  8:12       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-08-14  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

On 14 Aug 2000, Rod Whitby wrote:

> This is my first patch submission to the ding mailing list, so
> please let me know if I should have submitted these in another
> format (in particular, how do you get the nice ChangeLog entries?),
> and also how I should proceed in getting these checked into CVS.

Put point at the spot where you made the modification and type `C-x 4
a'.

I think there is no formal procedure for getting patches committed.
Just find someone to do it...

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-14  8:14         ` Rod Whitby
From: Rod Whitby @ 2000-08-14  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:
> On 14 Aug 2000, Rod Whitby wrote:
> > And I've twice now supplied the patches which makes it work.  Are my
> > messages getting through to the list, or are they going into a black
> > hole somewhere ?
>
> I was waiting for someone more competent to apply the patches.  Since
> I don't use expiry-target, I don't know whether they work.  But I have
> now scanned the code, and my humble Lisp knowledge suggests that they
> work.  So I have now committed the patches.

Many thanks Kai - I appreciate you going out of your way to scan the
code before committing it.

BTW, I didn't intend my repeated requests to look like impatience - I
was genuinely concerned that my new-improved method for filtering
mailing list email by giving a different email address to each mailing
list (i.e. list.ding@rwhitby.net, list.xemacs@rwhitby.net) was
triggering some spam blocking mechanism on the list server.

> Feel free to flame me if it doesn't work...

Don't flame Kai, flame me.  Kai is just the messenger :-) The patch
has been working for me for three weeks now - with plenty of use each
day - so I'm quite confident that there will be no problems.  And
no-one else seems to be using that functionality anyway ... :-)

--

@ 2000-08-14  8:15           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-08-14  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 14 Aug 2000, Rod Whitby wrote:

> I'm probably not formatting the patch properly so that it can be
> automatically applied.  Hopefully, someone can show me the best way
> to submit patches.  I don't have CVS access (firewall issue), so I
> work from RCS'd snapshots.

The patch was formatted okay, except for the absolute file names.  I
had to say `patch -p5' to get it to work.  I don't know how to count
these numbers, so I always have to experiment.

Btw, if you have checked out the code from CVS, then `cvs diff' will
produce nice-looking output that does what you need.  Another
possibility is to save an unmodified Gnus source code in one directory
and to use `diff -r' to generate the patches.

And you have used context diffs (`diff -c'), but I find unified diffs
(`diff -u') easier to read.  But maybe this is a matter of taste.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-14 12:15               ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-08-14 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rod Whitby <list.ding@rwhitby.net> writes:

> > Does this mean that (with your patch in place) I could say:
> >  ((total-expire . t)
> >  (expiry-wait . 14)
> >  (expiry-target . "nnml:TARGET")
> >
> > In group params of a group and expirable stuff would show up in
> > nnml:TARGET in two weeks?
>
> That's what I would expect.

Sorry to report, with your patch in place, I see no results whatever
with these settings in nnml:cartman2:

;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnml:cartman2'.
;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.

((to-address . "cartman-list@redhat.com")
 (total-expire . t)
 (expiry-wait . 20)
 (expiry-target . "nnml:TARGET"))

As I've decreased the expiry-wait period (now down to 5) messages are
being expired.   A `ls ~/Mail/cartman2|wc -l'  shows the decrease in
numbers but no nnml:TARGET is created.

Creating nnml:TARGET by hand does not help.  Still no expired messages
appear there.

nnmail-expiry target is set like so:
nnmail-expiry-target's value is
delete

> 'delete' - that is the default, and I override it with the group
> parameters for certain groups.  The patches make sure that this works
> as expected.
>
> I have the following setting for mailing lists (including this one):
>
> ((total-expire . t)
>  (expiry-target . delete)
>  (expiry-wait . 7))
>
> ... and it works with the patch applied.

Why do you need to override `nnmail-expiry-target delete' with another
`delete' in group params?

* Re: expiry-target
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-08-14 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rod Whitby <list.ding@rwhitby.net> writes:

> This is my first patch submission to the ding mailing list, so please
> let me know if I should have submitted these in another format (in
> particular, how do you get the nice ChangeLog entries?),

`C-x 4 a'.

> and also how I should proceed in getting these checked into CVS.

Thanks for the patch; I've applied it to Gnus v5.8.8.

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-14 22:36         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-08-14 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Rod Whitby <list.ding@rwhitby.net> writes:
>
> > This is my first patch submission to the ding mailing list, so please
> > let me know if I should have submitted these in another format (in
> > particular, how do you get the nice ChangeLog entries?),
>
> `C-x 4 a'.
>
> > and also how I should proceed in getting these checked into CVS.
>
> Thanks for the patch; I've applied it to Gnus v5.8.8.

Have you found that this patch actually makes the expiry target stuff
work on your setup?

Doesn't seem to be working here.    Relevant settings:

Running 5.8.8 CVS 1 week
Rod's patch applied

C-h v nnmail-expiry-target <RET>
nnmail-expiry-target's value is
delete

Group param code:

((to-address . "cartman-list@redhat.com")
 (total-expire . t)
 (expiry-wait . 1)
 (expiry-target . "nnml:TARGET"))

Expiry is occuring, but nothing is going into nnml:TARGET.

nnml:TARGET should be created without manual intervention right?  It was not.
So creating it manually still no messaged end up there, although
expiry continues to remove messages.

Just incase I've misapplied the patch, I'll try the current cvs if it
is committed now.  Is it?

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-14 22:49                 ` Rod Whitby
From: Rod Whitby @ 2000-08-14 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sorry to report, with your patch in place, I see no results whatever
> with these settings in nnml:cartman2:
>
> ;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnml:cartman2'.
> ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
>
> ((to-address . "cartman-list@redhat.com")
>  (total-expire . t)
>  (expiry-wait . 20)
>  (expiry-target . "nnml:TARGET"))

That's very strange.  I just tried the following on nnml:list.ding and
it worked fine:

((to-address . "ding@gnus.org")
 (posting-style
  (address "list.ding@rwhitby.net"))
 (total-expire . t)
 (expiry-target . "nnml:LISTS")
 (expiry-wait . immediate))

Did you re- byte-compile the files after applying the patch ?  You may
be seeing the old behaviour from the .elc file instead of the new
behaviour from the patched .el file.

> > 'delete' - that is the default, and I override it with the group
> > parameters for certain groups.  The patches make sure that this works
> > as expected.
> >
> > I have the following setting for mailing lists (including this one):
> >
> > ((total-expire . t)
> >  (expiry-target . delete)
> >  (expiry-wait . 7))
> >
> > ... and it works with the patch applied.
>
> Why do you need to override `nnmail-expiry-target delete' with another
> `delete' in group params?

I had a higher-level parameter on a Topic with a different target.  In
general, you don't need it.

--

@ 2000-08-14 23:06                   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-08-14 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rod Whitby <list.ding@rwhitby.net> writes:

> > Sorry to report, with your patch in place, I see no results whatever
> > with these settings in nnml:cartman2:
> >
> > ;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnml:cartman2'.
> > ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
> >
> > ((to-address . "cartman-list@redhat.com")
> >  (total-expire . t)
> >  (expiry-wait . 20)
> >  (expiry-target . "nnml:TARGET"))
>
> That's very strange.  I just tried the following on nnml:list.ding and
> it worked fine:
>
> ((to-address . "ding@gnus.org")
>  (posting-style
>   (address "list.ding@rwhitby.net"))
>  (total-expire . t)
>  (expiry-target . "nnml:LISTS")
>  (expiry-wait . immediate))
>
> Did you re- byte-compile the files after applying the patch ?  You may
> be seeing the old behaviour from the .elc file instead of the new
> behaviour from the patched .el file.

YIKES, I forgot to byte compile.

It works smooth as silk now... yippeee..
Way to go Rod!

> > Why do you need to override `nnmail-expiry-target delete' with another
> > `delete' in group params?
>
> I had a higher-level parameter on a Topic with a different target.  In
> general, you don't need it.

Oh yes, I see now.

* Re: expiry-target
@ 2000-08-14 23:08           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-08-14 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Rod Whitby <list.ding@rwhitby.net> writes:
> >
> > > This is my first patch submission to the ding mailing list, so please
> > > let me know if I should have submitted these in another format (in
> > > particular, how do you get the nice ChangeLog entries?),
> >
> > `C-x 4 a'.
> >
> > > and also how I should proceed in getting these checked into CVS.
> >
> > Thanks for the patch; I've applied it to Gnus v5.8.8.
>
> Have you found that this patch actually makes the expiry target stuff
> work on your setup?

YIKES, Lars,  I forgot to byte compile... Please ignore my question
and report of non-working patch.

* expiry-target
@ 2002-09-27 11:33 Mike Woolley
From: Mike Woolley @ 2002-09-27 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've been using `nnmail-expiry-target' to expire old mails to archive
groups and it works a treat, except that the archived articles do not
have their marks preserved. This is rather annoying, as I end up with
lots of unread groups of messages I've already read :-)

I had a look at the code and all `nnmail-expiry-target-group' does is

(unless (eq target 'delete)
  (gnus-request-accept-article target nil nil t)))

Which seems to explain what I've observed.

Does anyone know of a way to have the expiry process preserve the
original marks?

Thanks,
Mike