* authinfo
@ 1997-05-04 10:55 Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren
From: Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren @ 1997-05-04 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

dersom jeg sier

    (add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook 'nntp-send-authinfo-from-file)

g…r GNUS i st… n…r den skal koble seg opp mot serveren, eller den gir
beskjed om 'connection refused.'

jeg _har_ en fil som heter ~/.nntp-authinfo.

dette har bare plutselig sluttet … virke.

hjelp!

--

       Rolf Lindgren           |       "The opinions expressed above are
       Sofienberggt. 13b       |        not necessarily those of anyone"

* Re: authinfo
@ 1997-05-04 20:06 ` Hrvoje Nikšić
From: Hrvoje Nikšić @ 1997-05-04 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren <roffe@tag.uio.no> writes:

> dersom jeg sier
>     (add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook 'nntp-send-authinfo-from-file)
>
> g…r GNUS i st… n…r den skal koble seg opp mot serveren, eller den
> gir beskjed om 'connection refused.'
[...]

Gnus being the elite of newsreaders, I wonder: when it is
internationalized, will there be a translation frontend?  Like a wash
command `W t' that translates the article to English.

Kako su već Gnusi elitni newsreader, zanima me: kad se
internacionaliziraju, hoće li biti frontenda za prijevode?  Recimo
wash naredba `W t' koja prevede članak na engleski.

:-)

P.S.
Does Norwegian use the \205 character?  It doesn't look like latin1 --
I thought latin1 was above 160?

--
Hrvoje Nikšić <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student na FER-u Zagreb, Hrvatska
--------------------------------+----------------------------------

* Re: authinfo
@ 1997-05-05  6:49   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-05-05  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> P.S.
> Does Norwegian use the \205 character?

Maybe in some charsets... this was neither ISO-8859-1, Mac extendend
ASCII, nor CP865.

> It doesn't look like latin1

It wasn't.

> -- I thought latin1 was above 160?

It is.

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-19 15:26                                   ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1998-02-19 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (16-Feb-98) Re: AUTHINFO by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
>> BTW: "rc" stands for "run commands" and means "commands to run when
>> the interpreter is started".  Is that really appropriate for the
>> authinforc file?
>
> Perhaps not, but .netrc is called .netrc even if the commands aren't
> really "run" there either.

That's not really true. You can define macros, including a macro that runs
commands everytime you login to a specific FTP site.

However, the point about .newsrc not having any commands is certainly a valid
counterexample of a configuration file that doesn't "run commands".

> Dunno. I can rename all the authinforc things to authinfo (or something
> else). Whaddayousay, people?

I like ~/.authinfo personally, but I can live with ~/.authinforc.

Later,
Ed

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-19 14:16                                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-19 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> What about just .authrc?  The 'info' and the 'rc' parts together
> somehow seem sort of redundant to me.  Or what about .nntpauthrc ... ?

Per suggested putting it in "~/News/" and calling it authinfo --
without any dots.  Sounds OK to me...

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-19  4:55                                     ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1998-02-19  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-02-19  2:21                                   ` Joev Dubach
From: Joev Dubach @ 1998-02-19  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>> BTW: "rc" stands for "run commands" and means "commands to run when
>> the interpreter is started".  Is that really appropriate for the
>> authinforc file?

> Perhaps not, but .netrc is called .netrc even if the commands aren't
> really "run" there either.  Dunno.  I can rename all the authinforc
> things to authinfo (or something else).  Whaddayousay, people?

.newsrc also contains data, and not commands.  The historical
derivation of "rc" isn't particularly relevant when its current
meaning is "configuration information for various software".

In other words, go ahead and name it .authinforc.  Another reason is
that it's more likely that people already have a file called
".authinfo" with a different syntax, which we'd rather not force them
to clobber.  (Or work around with another variable setting.)

Joev

  "I can still remember the first time I went to my (then) inlaws for
   the holiday family gathering.  The custom was for the wimmin to
   gather in the kitchen and swap gossip while drinking tea or coffee or
   soda, while the min lounged about in front of the TV in the living
   room, drinking beer, scratching themselves, and speaking concisely
   using monosyllabic grunts.  I wound up pulling out a paperback novel,
   at which point the conversation went something like this.
   'Not a football fan, Dave?'  'Nope.'
   'Do you understand how the game is played?'
   'Ayuh.  Nail that sonuvvabitch carrying the ball.'
   'He knows it, all right.'"
          -- Dave Locke

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-16 18:53                                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-16 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Can the tokens really appear multiple times?  Does the order matter?

Nope (or yup); nope.

> If not, this might work:

Thanks; I've installed this in 0.28.

> BTW: "rc" stands for "run commands" and means "commands to run when
> the interpreter is started".  Is that really appropriate for the
> authinforc file?

Perhaps not, but .netrc is called .netrc even if the commands aren't
really "run" there either.  Dunno.  I can rename all the authinforc
things to authinfo (or something else).  Whaddayousay, people?

* Re: AUTHINFO
                                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-02-16 17:16                   ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-02-16 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I dunno.  Let's have a vote:  ~/.netrc or, uhm, ~/.authinforc as the
> default file?

Definitely not ~/.netrc.  Either ~/.authinforc or ~/.authinfo would
make sense.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-16 11:25                               ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-02-16 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>
> > If the value is in a Lisp variable, they can change it with customize,
> > and get online help.  That should be easier for most people than
> > learning the ".netrc" format from a man page (I for one don't know the
> > ".netrc" format).
>
> Uhm...  Ok.  If `nntp-authinforc-file' is an alist, it can be used.
> The format should be
>
>  '(("machine.name" (token . value) (token . value) ...)
>    ...)
>
> TOKEN can be "login" and "password".
>
> I'm not sure how to express this in customeze.

Can the tokens really appear multiple times?  Does the order matter?
If not, this might work:

(defcustom nntp-authinforc-file "~/.authinforc"
  "Docstring."
  :type '(choice file
		 (repeat :tag "Entries"
			 :menu-tag "Inline"
			 (list :format "%v"
			       :value ("" ("login" . "") ("password" . ""))
			       (string :tag "Host")
			       (checklist :inline t
					  (cons :format "%v"
						(const :format "" "login")
						(string :format "Login: %v"))
					  (cons :format "%v"
						(const :format "" "password")
						(string :format "Password: %v")))))))

@ 1998-02-16 10:46                             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-16 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> If the value is in a Lisp variable, they can change it with customize,
> and get online help.  That should be easier for most people than
> learning the ".netrc" format from a man page (I for one don't know the
> ".netrc" format).

Uhm...  Ok.  If `nntp-authinforc-file' is an alist, it can be used.
The format should be

 '(("machine.name" (token . value) (token . value) ...)
   ...)

TOKEN can be "login" and "password".

I'm not sure how to express this in customeze.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-16 10:36                           ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-02-16 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-02-16  8:13                     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-02-16  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I dunno.  Let's have a vote:  ~/.netrc or, uhm, ~/.authinforc as the
>> default file?

> I'd like it cleared up: Can one expect to login to FTP and NNTP
> servers with different passwords?

Yes.

> If yes, I vote for `.authinforc'.
> If not, I vote for `.netrc'.

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-15 22:05                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-15 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-02-15 22:04                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-15 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> If these two passwords are the same, it often is a coincidence.

Okidoke.  I'll have the variable default to "~/.authinforc".

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-15 19:58                         ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1998-02-15 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> wrote:

| Thank you.
|
| As this is the case, I think it would be seriously wrong to use
| `.netrc' here.  A good name might be, say, `.authinfo' (it somehow
| sounds better without `rc').

And lets do some lobbying for this so that for example Netscape can
use it, (ARGH I hate all those friggin login and passwords, or am I
the only one surfing for dirty pages :-) (Hey are there other
functions for password protected pages??)

	/Andy

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-15 19:34                     ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1998-02-15 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> I'd like it cleared up: Can one expect to login to FTP and NNTP
> servers with different passwords?  If yes, I vote for `.authinforc'.
> If not, I vote for `.netrc'.

It can be either way.  As Lloyd pointed out, the password can be
different, but it can also be the same (as in my situation).  Many
ISP's give the user one password for both FTP and NNTP.  In both
cases, problems can surface when using .netrc for both FTP and NNTP.
If you use seperate files, these potential risks/problems go away.  An
additional 1KB dot file isn't going to burn anyones disk quota, and
mentioning the file permissions issue in the manual is enough to
handle the protection issue.

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-15 19:23                   ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1998-02-15 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You mean, since the password is stored in clear text?  But that's the
> case in any case.  Or do you mean that miscreants will be able to
> sneak up to a logged-in terminal and ftp to the nntp server?  I hadn't
> thought of that...

I meant the second case.

> I dunno.  Let's have a vote:  ~/.netrc or, uhm, ~/.authinforc as the
> default file?

~/.authinforc

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-15 18:15                       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1998-02-15 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-02-15 17:29                       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-02-15 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> One can indeed expect to log in to FTP and NNTP servers with
> different passwords.  On Unix boxes, the FTP password is usually the
> login password for the account one is FTP-ing to.  NNTP passwords
> are managed in the news server, and in my experience, they generally
> have nothing to do with any login passwords in /etc/passwd.  If
> these two passwords are the same, it often is a coincidence.

Thank you.

As this is the case, I think it would be seriously wrong to use
`.netrc' here.  A good name might be, say, `.authinfo' (it somehow
sounds better without `rc').

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-15 17:19                     ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1998-02-15 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > > For example, people with FTP access to their newsserver who use this
> > > Gnus option will inadvertently be losing the FTP session password
> > > protection they once had.
> >
> > You mean, since the password is stored in clear text?  But that's
> > the case in any case.  Or do you mean that miscreants will be able
> > to sneak up to a logged-in terminal and ftp to the nntp server?  I
> > hadn't thought of that...
> >
> > I dunno.  Let's have a vote:  ~/.netrc or, uhm, ~/.authinforc as the
> > default file?
>
> I'd like it cleared up: Can one expect to login to FTP and NNTP
> servers with different passwords?  If yes, I vote for `.authinforc'.
> If not, I vote for `.netrc'.

One can indeed expect to log in to FTP and NNTP servers with different
passwords.  On Unix boxes, the FTP password is usually the login
password for the account one is FTP-ing to.  NNTP passwords are
managed in the news server, and in my experience, they generally have
nothing to do with any login passwords in /etc/passwd.  If these

@ 1998-02-15 14:49                     ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-15 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> > I dunno.  Let's have a vote:  ~/.netrc or, uhm, ~/.authinforc as the
> > default file?
>
> Why can't it be a emacs variable?  It seems more natural to me.

It is a variable (`nntp-netrc-file'), but the question is what it
should default to.

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-15 14:32                   ` Hrvoje Niksic
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-02-15 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > For example, people with FTP access to their newsserver who use this
> > Gnus option will inadvertently be losing the FTP session password
> > protection they once had.
>
> You mean, since the password is stored in clear text?  But that's
> the case in any case.  Or do you mean that miscreants will be able
> to sneak up to a logged-in terminal and ftp to the nntp server?  I
> hadn't thought of that...
>
> I dunno.  Let's have a vote:  ~/.netrc or, uhm, ~/.authinforc as the
> default file?

I'd like it cleared up: Can one expect to login to FTP and NNTP
servers with different passwords?  If yes, I vote for `.authinforc'.
If not, I vote for `.netrc'.

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > I dunno.  Let's have a vote:  ~/.netrc or, uhm, ~/.authinforc as the
> > default file?
>
> Why can't it be a emacs variable?

It will be an Emacs variable -- the vote is for its default value.  :-)

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
You'll notice that perl is not itself written in Perl.
                                                 -- The Perl FAQ

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-15 13:48                   ` Simon Josefsson
                                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1998-02-15 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I dunno.  Let's have a vote:  ~/.netrc or, uhm, ~/.authinforc as the
> default file?

Why can't it be a emacs variable?  It seems more natural to me.

If you don't want to 'chmod 600 .emacs', you could have a '(load
"~/private/.emacs")' in your .emacs.

I'm against clogging your home directory...

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-15 13:32                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-15 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R Mastaler <jason@4b.org> writes:

> Well, why not?  It isn't likely, but not out of the question either.
> Really, I don't see the reasoning behind using the same file for both
> ftp remote login data and NNTP authentication data, especially when
> both will be using the same syntax.  I don't see any pros, but I do
> see points of potential conflict (even if relatively minor).

Well, the pros is that the user will only have to worry about one file
containing sensitive information, and not two.

@ 1998-02-15  5:28                 ` Felix Lee
From: Felix Lee @ 1998-02-15  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

pros:
a. I only have to be careful about protecting one file, not two.
b. nntp password same as ftp password
c. less disk space wastage

cons:
a. netrc syntax is arbitrarily complex, depending on version of ftp.

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-14 23:30               ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1998-02-14 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, uhm...  Why?  It isn't likely that one has the news server in
> there already, and putting it there doesn't make much difference, does
> it?

Well, why not?  It isn't likely, but not out of the question either.
Really, I don't see the reasoning behind using the same file for both
ftp remote login data and NNTP authentication data, especially when
both will be using the same syntax.  I don't see any pros, but I do
see points of potential conflict (even if relatively minor).  For
example, people with FTP access to their newsserver who use this Gnus
option will inadvertently be losing the FTP session password
protection they once had.

> But I can make it a variable, of course.  `nntp-netrc-file'.

I still think the default should be a file other than .netrc, and if
one specifically wants to use .netrc, they can specify that with
`nntp-netrc-file'.

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-14 20:38             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-14 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-02-14 19:42           ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1998-02-14 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-02-14 19:31         ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-02-14 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R Mastaler <jason@4b.org> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > > I think there already are too many authinfo functions, so it's time to
> > > do something radical:  Introduce something that looks like .netrc.  It
> > > could be called .authinforc, and it could use syntax like:
> >
> > On the other hand, why not just stick it in .netrc?
>
> What goes in .netrc normally?  (I don't have such a file)

FTP authorization data.

netrc(4)                  File Formats                   netrc(4)

NAME
     netrc - file for ftp remote login data

DESCRIPTION
     The .netrc file contains data for logging  in  to  a  remote
     host  over  the  network for file transfers by ftp(1).  This
     file resides in the user's home  directory  on  the  machine
     initiating the file transfer.  Its permissions should be set
     to disallow read access by group and others (see chmod(1)).

     The following tokens are recognized; they may  be  separated
     by SPACE, TAB, or NEWLINE characters:

     machine name
          Identify a remote machine name.  The auto-login process
          searches  the  .netrc  file  for  a  machine token that
          matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command
          line  or  as an open command argument.  Once a match is
          made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stop-
          ping  when  the EOF is reached or another machine token
          is encountered.

     login name
          Identify a user on the remote machine.  If  this  token
          is  present,  the  auto-login  process  will initiate a
          login using the specified name.

     password string
          Supply a password.   If  this  token  is  present,  the
          auto-login  process will supply the specified string if
          the remote server requires a password as  part  of  the
          login  process.   Note: if this token is present in the
          .netrc file, ftp will abort the auto-login  process  if
          the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user.

     account string
          Supply an additional account password.  If  this  token
          is  present,  the  auto-login  process  will supply the
          specified string if the remote server requires an addi-
          tional account password, or the auto-login process will
          initiate an ACCT command if it does not.

     macdef name
          Define a macro.  This token functions the same  as  ftp
          macdef.   A  macro  is defined with the specified name;
          its contents begin with the next .netrc line  and  con-
          tinue  until  a  null line (consecutive NEWLINE charac-
          ters)  is  encountered.   If  a  macro  named  init  is
          defined,  it is automatically executed as the last step
          in the auto-login process.

EXAMPLES
     A .netrc file containing the following line:

          machine ray login demo password mypassword

     allows an autologin to the machine ray using the login  name
     demo with password mypassword.

FILES
     ~/.netrc

SEE ALSO
     chmod(1), ftp(1), in.ftpd(1M)

SunOS 5.5.1          Last change: 3 Jul 1990                    2

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword.

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-14 19:23       ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1998-02-14 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-02-14 19:22     ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1998-02-14 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think there already are too many authinfo functions, so it's time to
> do something radical:  Introduce something that looks like .netrc.  It
> could be called .authinforc, and it could use syntax like:
>
> machine news.uio.no login larsi password geheimnis
>
> If the password (and/or user name) is missing, it will be prompted
> for.  I think the default authinfo function should do this, and if the
> file doesn't exist, it should prompt for both user name and password.

My only thought is that I like the idea.  Much cleaner than current
implementation.

* Re: AUTHINFO
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-14 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-02-14 16:01   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-14 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R Mastaler <jason@4b.org> writes:

> Hey great, function `nntp-send-nosy-authinfo' worked for me without help
> for the first time.  How bout adding a `nntp-send-nosy-authinfo-from-file'
> to the list of available functions for those of us whose current login
> name differs from the NNTP server username we authenticate with?  I'm
> using the following at the moment.  My ~/.nntp-authinfo file has the
> username on the first line and the password on the second line.

I think there already are too many authinfo functions, so it's time to
do something radical:  Introduce something that looks like .netrc.  It
could be called .authinforc, and it could use syntax like:

machine news.uio.no login larsi password geheimnis

If the password (and/or user name) is missing, it will be prompted
for.  I think the default authinfo function should do this, and if the
file doesn't exist, it should prompt for both user name and password.

I think I'll just copy the ange-ftp parsing functions (somewhat); they
can't be used directly, since the set bunches of ange-ftp variables.
I'll make a generalized version instead.

Any thoughts?

* Re: AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-14  6:55 ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1998-02-14  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've now finally fiddled with automatic authinfo thingies, so that it
> should be unnecessary to put the authinfo function in the startup
> hook.  Let me know in what ways the new sceme doesn't work.  :-)

Hey great, function `nntp-send-nosy-authinfo' worked for me without help
for the first time.  How bout adding a `nntp-send-nosy-authinfo-from-file'
to the list of available functions for those of us whose current login
name differs from the NNTP server username we authenticate with?  I'm
using the following at the moment.  My ~/.nntp-authinfo file has the
username on the first line and the password on the second line.

(add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook
          (lambda ()
            (cond ((string-match "relay" nntp-address)
                   (nntp-send-nosy-authinfo-from-file))
                  (t
                    ))))

(defun nntp-send-nosy-authinfo-from-file ()
  "Send the AUTHINFO to the nntp server, including username and password
  This function is supposed to be called from `nntp-server-opened-hook'."
  (when (file-exists-p "~/.nntp-authinfo")
    (nnheader-temp-write nil
      (insert-file-contents "~/.nntp-authinfo")
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (nntp-send-command
       "^.*\r?\n" "AUTHINFO USER"
       (buffer-substring (point) (progn (end-of-line) (point))))
      (goto-line 2)
      (nntp-send-command
       "^.*\r?\n" "AUTHINFO PASS"
       (buffer-substring (point) (progn (end-of-line) (point)))))))

* AUTHINFO
@ 1998-02-13 18:51 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-13 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've now finally fiddled with automatic authinfo thingies, so that it
should be unnecessary to put the authinfo function in the startup
hook.  Let me know in what ways the new sceme doesn't work.  :-)

* Re: Authinfo..
@ 1998-02-09 17:40       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-02-09 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> > Yes.  Add one of the authinfo functions to `nntp-server-opened-hook'.
>>
>> But what about those servers that don't require authinfo when you
>> connect to them, but allows access to more groups if you do?

> If you have one of the authinfo functions in that hook, Gnus will
> always send the authinfo to the servers.

*If* I do the add-hook in .gnus.el[c].  If I just do it in the
*scratch* buffer, and then start gnus, my setting of the hook is
overwritten.

* Re: Authinfo..
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-08 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-02-08 16:56   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-02-08 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-02-08 15:55 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-08 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <andy.eskilsson@telelogic.se> writes:

> I am messing around with a server that requires authoinfo to connect
> to.. Uhm is it possible to set this information in the server
> attributes??

Yes.  Add one of the authinfo functions to `nntp-server-opened-hook'.

* Authinfo..
@ 1998-02-03 16:09 Andy Eskilsson