* Switching to IMAP
@ 2000-05-03 14:41 Chris D.Halverson
From: Chris D.Halverson @ 2000-05-03 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using nnml since the gurus at Gnus Towers brought it
forth. Now I'm starting to see a need for IMAP access for everything
(basically I'm consulting a bit more at customer sites and don't
always have access to ssh), by switching to IMAP, I can (*gasp*) use
other tools such as IMP (web based IMAP) to get my mail remotely.

I've got about 20 nnml groups that I'd like to have available to
nnimap. I'm looking over the manual and see that I should setup nnimap
as a secondary-select-method. I currently have:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods   '((nnml "")))

I'd like to use SSL for my local connection, openssl is already
installed and running as is my imaps server. I'm also using procmail
to split my mail and would like to continue to do so. I'm guessing
I'll just set it up to deliver to the "real" mailboxes instead of to
the spool files I am doing now assuming I want them available to
nnimap (or any other imap client). I also have the following vars set:

      nnmail-use-procmail t
      mail-source-delete-incoming t

I can't seem to find it, but currently my nnml groups expire after 7
days if marked w/ 'E', ie. I can go back and see "deleted" messages
which is very helpful at times. It doesn't appear that this is
possible w/ nnimap, correct?

Basically, I'm just looking for a little advice before I totally hork
up my mail :) I'm a little nervous, so some advice on switching would
be very helpful. Thanks much!

cdh

--
Chris D. Halverson                         Complete Internet Solutions
PGP mail accepted, finger for public key   http://www.CompleteIS.com/~cdh/