* need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-16 21:14 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-16 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok....  You've done it to me...  I've been building audio mp3 tools to
fill up those pesky free bytes on my hard disk.

So, getting gnus to put in a x-now-playing header I'm sure was easy,
Lars, as its a simple detection to find out what you're currently
playing.

However, I can't figure out how you interface to your book?  I don't
seem to have any devices that can scan a book into digital format by
flipping through the pages, so that I can automatically add the
X-now-reading header....  (and my books don't come with any ports on
them anyway).

How do you do it?

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-17 21:53 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-17 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> However, I can't figure out how you interface to your book?  I don't
> seem to have any devices that can scan a book into digital format by
> flipping through the pages, so that I can automatically add the
> X-now-reading header....  (and my books don't come with any ports on
> them anyway).
>
> How do you do it?

It's very, very, very simple.  I have one of those bar-code reader
thingies that I've increased the current on, and I've attached it to
the fan in the ceiling, and it scans everything that's in the general
couch area.  If it sees something that looks vaguely like a book, it
scans it, OCR's the cover, and then tells Emacs about it.

Couldn't be simpler.

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-19  3:21   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-19  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> It's very, very, very simple.  I have one of those bar-code
Lars> reader thingies that I've increased the current on, and I've
Lars> attached it to the fan in the ceiling, and it scans everything
Lars> that's in the general couch area.  If it sees something that
Lars> looks vaguely like a book, it scans it, OCR's the cover, and
Lars> then tells Emacs about it.

Ahh...  I'll look into it.

My other problem is that mp3 encoding takes too long (10-15 mins) on
my single 233 P-II (which used to be fast).  I've looked around on the
net to download new ones, but can't find a download site.  Wish intel
would supply downloads of their newer processors...

More seriously though, a friend of mine just told me that he just saw
a cd juke box for sale at a local electronics shop.  It's somewhat
expensive (for a CD player) at US$350, but it holds 350 CDs.  Thats
more than I can fit on my current hard disk (12gb total between two)
:-).  I'm considering it...

I doubt it comes with an elisp control system though....

--

@ 1998-10-19 15:58     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-19 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Wes> More seriously though, a friend of mine just told me that he just saw
Wes> a cd juke box for sale at a local electronics shop.  It's somewhat
Wes> expensive (for a CD player) at US$350, but it holds 350 CDs.
                                                         ^^^

Whoops 301.

--

@ 1998-10-19 16:01   ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-10-19 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Lars> Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:
 >> (and my books don't come with any ports on them anyway).

You need the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy for that.

 >> How do you do it?

 Lars> It's very, very, very simple. I have one of those bar-code
 Lars> reader thingies that I've increased the current on, and I've
 Lars> attached it to the fan in the ceiling, and it scans everything
 Lars> that's in the general couch area. If it sees something that
 Lars> looks vaguely like a book, it scans it, OCR's the cover, and
 Lars> then tells Emacs about it.

 Lars> Couldn't be simpler.

Just scanning the ISBN-bar-code would be simpler, wouldn't it? Or
haven't you written the ISBNDB backend yet?

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-19 17:05     ` Chris Tessone
From: Chris Tessone @ 1998-10-19 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Robbe> Just scanning the ISBN-bar-code would be simpler, wouldn't
    Robbe> it? Or haven't you written the ISBNDB backend yet?

An interesting (yet entirely useless) factoid: The first three digits
of all UPC codes are a location code. All books' UPC codes begin with
"9 78", which is the location code for "Bookland".

Chris

--
Chris Tessone         tessone@fnal.gov         tessone@imsa.edu
PH/sendmail SNPC        System Administration        Perl/Shell

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-19 17:27       ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-10-19 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Chris> An interesting (yet entirely useless) factoid: The first three
 Chris> digits of all UPC codes are a location code. All books' UPC
 Chris> codes begin with "9 78", which is the location code for
 Chris> "Bookland".

As you may already know, the digits up to the first slash in ISBN are
the location of the publisher (anglo-saxzone, german-spoken-land,
etc.).

Lars, are the bar-code-scanner results availiable somewhere. So we can
not only tell what books you're reading, but also what kind of
underwear hangs around on your couch, what food you prefer while
hanging around yourself.

	Robbe

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-19 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> More seriously though, a friend of mine just told me that he just saw
> a cd juke box for sale at a local electronics shop.  It's somewhat
> expensive (for a CD player) at US$350, but it holds 350 CDs.

That's kinda cheap -- I've been webbing around today for jukeboxes,
and they seem to cost thousands of dollars for 100 cds.  Which means
that it's cheaper to buy a RAID thingie.

* Re: need advice from the master
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-19 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Lars, are the bar-code-scanner results availiable somewhere. So we can
> not only tell what books you're reading, but also what kind of
> underwear hangs around on your couch, what food you prefer while
> hanging around yourself.

Do to licensing issues, pictures of the couch can't be made available
over the Internet, I'm afraid.

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-19 20:14       ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-10-19 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:
>
> > More seriously though, a friend of mine just told me that he just saw
> > a cd juke box for sale at a local electronics shop.  It's somewhat
> > expensive (for a CD player) at US$350, but it holds 350 CDs.
>
> That's kinda cheap -- I've been webbing around today for jukeboxes, and
> they seem to cost thousands of dollars for 100 cds.  Which means that
> it's cheaper to buy a RAID thingie.

  Uh, are you looking for one that hooks up to the computer, or just a
stereo system?  I've seen multi-hundred CD changers for quite a while in
the sub-$500 range.

-bp

* Re: need advice from the master
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-19 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:

>   Uh, are you looking for one that hooks up to the computer, or just a
> stereo system?

To the computer.

> I've seen multi-hundred CD changers for quite a while in the
> sub-$500 range.

Since the mechanics shouldn't have to be all that different in these,
perhaps the price on CD-VROOM changers is dropping as well?

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-19 21:20           ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-19 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:
>> Uh, are you looking for one that hooks up to the computer, or just a
>> stereo system?

Lars> To the computer.

Yeah, the one I mentioned previously was to a stereo system...  Thats
why it was cheaper than the ones you were looking at.  However, it's
easier to load than a 11gig disk ;-)

(do you really need 100 cd's connected to your PC?  (I know, I know...
look who I'm asking)).

The device I mentioned comes with a remote...  You could always build
a IR receiver/transmitter to talk to it...  he he...

You know Lars, I was just thinking:  You should be broadcasting all
the music you're listening to.  That way we could follow along :-)
You need a "gnus real-audio server"!!!

--

@ 1998-10-19 21:21           ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-10-19 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:
>
> > Lars, are the bar-code-scanner results availiable somewhere. So we can
> > not only tell what books you're reading, but also what kind of
> > underwear hangs around on your couch, what food you prefer while
> > hanging around yourself.
>
> Do to licensing issues, pictures of the couch can't be made available
> over the Internet, I'm afraid.

  Do you mean licentiousness issues? :)

-bill p.

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-19 22:30             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-19 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> (do you really need 100 cd's connected to your PC?  (I know, I know...
> look who I'm asking)).

Of course I do.  :-)

MP3'd music may be smaller than wavs, but it still requires some CD
shuffling if I'm looking for something that it's been a while since I
played.

The pain!  The horror!  The manual labor of it all!

> You know Lars, I was just thinking:  You should be broadcasting all
> the music you're listening to.  That way we could follow along :-)
> You need a "gnus real-audio server"!!!

:-)

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-19 23:07             ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-10-19 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Lars> wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:
> >> Uh, are you looking for one that hooks up to the computer, or just a
> >> stereo system?
>
> Lars> To the computer.
>
> Yeah, the one I mentioned previously was to a stereo system...  Thats why
> it was cheaper than the ones you were looking at.  However, it's easier
> to load than a 11gig disk ;-)

  You can always get a machine with hot-swappable hard drives. :)

> The device I mentioned comes with a remote...  You could always build a
> IR receiver/transmitter to talk to it...  he he...

  Just get a laptop with fast-IRDA - perhaps you could hack something up
that way to a normal remote. :)

-Bill P.

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-19 23:11               ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-19 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wes Hardaker, ding

>> Yeah, the one I mentioned previously was to a stereo system...  Thats why
>> it was cheaper than the ones you were looking at.  However, it's easier
>> to load than a 11gig disk ;-)

William> You can always get a machine with hot-swappable hard
William> drives. :)

I meant taking the time to digitize all the CDs on to the HD vs
inserting all 111 CDs of Lars' into the 301 storage array.  (Plus,
he'd need 2 more 11 Gig disks to achive the same capacity as the 301
disk jukebox).

Don't get me wrong...  I'm mp3 encoding third eye blind right
now.... I haven't bought a juke box either.  And it wouldn't do me
much good either without a stereo system, since the only one I have at
the moment is the sound card in my PC...

--

@ 1998-10-19 23:16               ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-19 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> (do you really need 100 cd's connected to your PC?  (I know, I know...
>> look who I'm asking)).

Lars> Of course I do.  :-)

Lars> MP3'd music may be smaller than wavs, but it still requires some
Lars> CD shuffling if I'm looking for something that it's been a while
Lars> since I played.

Nope.  Not if you can fit all 111 CDs (the amount you said you
digitized) into your 301-capacity CD system.  Then, with your
appropriately equipped PC with an infrared controller, that happens to
have a catalog of the disks on your system, then all ya gotta do is
beam your PC at your CD drive and have it play.

IE, C-u 8 7 C-c p -> play CD 87.

He he...

You know, right now I have bbdb collecting information on the news
groups that people are posting to that are in by bbdb database...
Maybe I should make a collection of all the music and books you've
ever read just by reading mail from you...  he he:

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen - Dept. of Informatics, University of Oslo, Norway
            net: larsi@gnus.org, bugs@gnus.org, larsi@ifi.uio.no, lmi@gnus.org
  creation-date: 24 Apr 1997
      timestamp: 19 Oct 1998
         Mailer: Gnus v5.6.44/Emacs 20.3
           face: &w!^oO<W.WBH]FsTP:P0f9X6M-ygaADlA_)eF$<UwQzj7:C=Gi<a?/_4$LX^@$Qq7-O&XHplDARi8e8iT<(A$LWAZD*xjk^')/wI5nG;1cNB>~dS|}-P0~ge{$c!h\<y
     newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus
                 gnu.emacs.gnus,comp.emacs.xemacs
                 gnu.emacs.sources
                 gnu.emacs.sources,comp.emacs
                 comp.os.linux.setup,gnu.emacs.gnus
                 comp.emacs.xemacs,gnu.emacs.gnus
     Newsreader: Gnus/5.070036 (Pterodactyl Gnus v0.36) XEmacs/21.2(beta3) (Aglaia)
        country: Norway

I need some new fields:

   Albums-Owned: ....
     Books-Read: ....

--

@ 1998-10-19 23:20             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-19 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:

> > Do to licensing issues, pictures of the couch can't be made available
> > over the Internet, I'm afraid.
>
>   Do you mean licentiousness issues? :)

Those issues, too.

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-19 23:21                 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-19 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Wes> I need some new fields:

Wes> Albums-Owned: ....
Wes> Books-Read: ....

He he, lets see what Lars has read/listened-to in the 1000 posts to
the ding list:

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen - Dept. of Informatics, University of Oslo, Norway
     Books-Read: Stephen Jay Goulds _Hønsetenner og hestetær_
                 Paul Auster's _Smoke & Blue in the Face_
                 Jane Smiley's _At Paradise Gate_
   Albums-Owned: Kraftwerk's _Concert Classics_: "Autobahn"
                 Squarepusher's _Music Is Rotted One Note_: "My Sound"

He he...

Do we ever scare you Lars?

--

@ 1998-10-19 23:29                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-19 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Nope.  Not if you can fit all 111 CDs (the amount you said you
> digitized) into your 301-capacity CD system.

Nonononono.  I've digitized about 1000 albums now.  But I only have
room for 111 of them on disk at a time.  *boo* *hoo* & *woe is meeee*

> You know, right now I have bbdb collecting information on the news
> groups that people are posting to that are in by bbdb database...
> Maybe I should make a collection of all the music and books you've
> ever read just by reading mail from you...  he he:

Hey -- that bbdb thing is really evil.

I like that in a program.

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-20  0:03                   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-20  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Nonononono.  I've digitized about 1000 albums now.  But I only
Lars> have room for 111 of them on disk at a time.  *boo* *hoo* & *woe
Lars> is meeee*

Ahh...  I see...  But compare the cost of a 11gb disk to the cost of
storing 111 cd's in the jukebox I mentioned (* 350.0 (/ 111.0 301.0))
= US$129.  Go ahead.  Try to find a 11Gb disk for that price...  :-)

Lars> Hey -- that bbdb thing is really evil.

Totally.  You should have seen it before I told it to stop collecting
info about my nnml groups (which was simply a mistake)....

Lars> I like that in a program.

Me too.

Actually, I was discussing it with a friend of mine the other day that
I could fairly quickly set something up to say something like "This is
the Nth message I have ever written you" in my signature or
something...  he he he...  I've been tempted to implement it and use
it just on him.

--

@ 1998-10-20  0:13                     ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-20  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Ahh...  I see...  But compare the cost of a 11gb disk to the cost of
> storing 111 cd's in the jukebox I mentioned (* 350.0 (/ 111.0 301.0))
> = US$129.  Go ahead.  Try to find a 11Gb disk for that price...  :-)

Yeah, but I only need a 6GB disk to store 111 CDs.  Which costs $226.

The point here is that a 350 audio CD changer Is Not Enough, though.
I need to be able to store (at least) 3000 albums.  Not that I have
that many, but I'm still youngish.

(I'm sampling the "M" vinyl now.  Did I really have that many
Morrissey eps?  Huh.  Tsk, tsk.)

Anyway.  Gnus?

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-20  0:17   ` Stephen Zander
From: Stephen Zander @ 1998-10-20  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> It's very, very, very simple.  I have one of those bar-code
    Lars> reader thingies that I've increased the current on, and I've
    Lars> attached it to the fan in the ceiling, and it scans
    Lars> everything that's in the general couch area.  If it sees
    Lars> something that looks vaguely like a book, it scans it, OCR's
    Lars> the cover, and then tells Emacs about it.

    Lars> Couldn't be simpler.

Please, God, don't ever let this man work for Microsoft! :)

--
Stephen
---

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-20  0:28                   ` Chris Tessone
From: Chris Tessone @ 1998-10-20  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> Hey -- that bbdb thing is really evil.
    Lars> I like that in a program.

SWM seeks evil program to perform nefarious experiments with.

--

@ 1998-10-20  0:41                       ` proff
From: proff @ 1998-10-20  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:
>
> > Ahh...  I see...  But compare the cost of a 11gb disk to the cost of
> > storing 111 cd's in the jukebox I mentioned (* 350.0 (/ 111.0 301.0))
> > = US$129.  Go ahead.  Try to find a 11Gb disk for that price...  :-)
>
> Yeah, but I only need a 6GB disk to store 111 CDs.  Which costs $226.
>
> The point here is that a 350 audio CD changer Is Not Enough, though.
> I need to be able to store (at least) 3000 albums.  Not that I have
> that many, but I'm still youngish.
>
> (I'm sampling the "M" vinyl now.  Did I really have that many
> Morrissey eps?  Huh.  Tsk, tsk.)

The answer RW DVD. 26Gb.

Cheers,
Julian.

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-20  0:49                       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-20  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Yeah, but I only need a 6GB disk to store 111 CDs.  Which costs $226.

Lars> The point here is that a 350 audio CD changer Is Not Enough, though.
Lars> I need to be able to store (at least) 3000 albums.  Not that I have
Lars> that many, but I'm still youngish.

Ahh...  but if you had 10 of those CD towers (total cost = $3500) is
cheaper than (/ 3000.0 111) 27 6gb disks (total cost = (* 226 27) $6102).

Add in the cost of a small home electronic control device to turn
on/off the various towers and the IR transmitter to talk to the
current "on" device, and you're still saving money by a long shot....

He he...

You know, it's the continuous 1.0 load average (thats not a big deal
unless I'm compiling) and 4 hour sampling times that bother me with
this mp3 business...  (I know, you're machine is probably much faster).

Lars> Anyway.  Gnus?

Gnus?  Where?

(this thread has gone on way to long....  it was silly to start with)
--

@ 1998-10-20  2:40                         ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1998-10-20  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

| You know, it's the continuous 1.0 load average (thats not a big deal
| unless I'm compiling) and 4 hour sampling times that bother me with
| this mp3 business...  (I know, you're machine is probably much faster).

I held out as long as I could.  Honest.  But spurred by all this
discussion, and a couple of Gb of currently unused space on my
(single CD, talk about annoying) desktop machine, I snarfed up
some free tools and did a little MP3ing.

Is it just me, or does everyone suffer from really horrific
drop-outs and noise whenever their machine does anything other
than play MP3 files?  I woulda thunk a 250Mhz Pentium II was
enough.  Silly me.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Any sufficiently undocumented code
http://nwalsh.com/                 | is indistinguishable from magic.

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-20  2:59                     ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1998-10-20  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Actually, I was discussing it with a friend of mine the other day that
> I could fairly quickly set something up to say something like "This is
> the Nth message I have ever written you" in my signature or
> something...  he he he...  I've been tempted to implement it and use
> it just on him.

Just the other day I wanted something similar to this. The number of
mails received (mainly) and sent to a person to be exact.

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Stop searching forever.  Happiness is unattainable.

* Re: need advice from the master
@ 1998-10-20  4:17                           ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-20  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Norman> I held out as long as I could.

You did better than me...  Really...

Norman> Is it just me, or does everyone suffer from really horrific
Norman> drop-outs and noise whenever their machine does anything other
Norman> than play MP3 files?  I woulda thunk a 250Mhz Pentium II was
Norman> enough.  Silly me.

It's just you?  I have a 233 P-II, and right now I am playing on mp3,
encoding another, typing this message, and I've done compilations at
the same time in the past as well.

I *occasionally* got a break in the song when doing the compilation as
well.  But really, it took a load average of at least 2 in order to
get a break in performance on decoding mp3s.  In fact, playing an mp3
does almost nothing to my load average (a slight change, but nothing
drastic) (using xaudio, till I find something better).

So, I'm not sure what your problem is...  I wonder if MMX has anything
to do with it?  Isn't it supposed to have MPEG stuff built into it?
If so, though, I wouldn't think my linux side would ever take
advantage of it.  In fact, I'd be shocked if it did.  Especially since
I think xaudio would have to add support for it as well as the kernel,
and I don't think either does...

(the most annoying thing is the slower compilations when I'm doing
encoding...)

(by the way, you know mp3.com has a whole bunch of downloadable free
stuff, though I havn't listened to any of it yet)
--

@ 1998-10-20  9:41                           ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-10-20  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Norman> Is it just me, or does everyone suffer from really horrific
 Norman> drop-outs and noise whenever their machine does anything
 Norman> other than play MP3 files?

Scheduling the player as a real-time-process helps. I patched "nice"
so that it can do scheduler changes. If somebody wants the patches I
can put them up for ftp.

 Norman> I woulda thunk a 250Mhz Pentium II was enough.

It is by far. My Pentium 133 gets about 0.3 load-avarage from mpg123.

	Robbe