* Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-09 16:35 Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor]
From: Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] @ 2000-01-09 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

... well, not really, but ...

I recently switched from Quassia from Pterodactyl (forgive me, oh ye
Lords of the state-of-the-art for being so sqeamish and not doing it
sooner ...)  Pterodactly is totally cool compared to Quassia (thanks,
Lars!), but ... everything seems to take at least twice as long,
especially building the headers and displaying articles.  The thing
(XEmacs 21.2 Millenium) GC's *every* time it displays an article.  I
already have:

(setq gnus-treat-display-xface nil
      gnus-treat-display-smileys nil
      gnus-treat-emphasize nil
      gnus-treat-overstrike nil)

Am I doing something wrong, or should I replace my 3-year-old PowerPC
or what?

--
Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-09 17:00 ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2000-01-09 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Sperber <sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> I recently switched from Quassia from Pterodactyl (forgive me, oh ye
> Lords of the state-of-the-art for being so sqeamish and not doing it
> sooner ...)  Pterodactly is totally cool compared to Quassia (thanks,
> Lars!), but ... everything seems to take at least twice as long,
> especially building the headers and displaying articles.  The thing
> (XEmacs 21.2 Millenium) GC's *every* time it displays an article.  I
> already have:

> (setq gnus-treat-display-xface nil
>       gnus-treat-display-smileys nil
>       gnus-treat-emphasize nil
>       gnus-treat-overstrike nil)

Buttonizing was what was taking forever for me.  Once I turned that off,
it got positively zippy again.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-09 18:52   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-01-09 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> > (setq gnus-treat-display-xface nil
> >       gnus-treat-display-smileys nil
> >       gnus-treat-emphasize nil
> >       gnus-treat-overstrike nil)
>
> Buttonizing was what was taking forever for me.

Has buttonizing really changed from Quassia to Pterodactyl that much?
I don't recall such a change, nor can I recall other reports of a
slow-down.  Michael reports XEmacs GC'ing at *each* article.

Michael, maybe you should try to move your init files out of the way
and see how Gnus behaves in its default settings.  If it works better,
maybe a setting of your (an old hook or something) has gone wrong.
And a stupid question: is your pgnus compiled?

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-09 19:20     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2000-01-09 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:

> Has buttonizing really changed from Quassia to Pterodactyl that much?

Well, it uses `widget-convert-button' now.  More likely, a small
change to the regexps in `gnus-button-alist' can easily mean a large
difference.

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-09 19:40     ` Kai Großjohann
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-09 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:

> Has buttonizing really changed from Quassia to Pterodactyl that
> much?

I think (but I'm not sure) that the default in Pterry Gnus is to do
_lots_ of highlighting, whereas the default in Quassia was to do just
a bit.  I remember that I had to turn on some highlighting in Quassia
Gnus but I had to turn off highlighting in Pterry Gnus.

I might be seeing white mice, though.  (Does that idiom exist in
English?  What is the English equivalent?)

kai

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-09 22:39       ` Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 2000-01-09 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hrvoje Niksic, ding

    Kai> I might be seeing white mice, though.  (Does that idiom exist in
    Kai> English?  What is the English equivalent?)

It doesn't exist in the English I know.  What does it mean?

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-09 23:03         ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-01-09 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Laura Conrad <lconrad@world.std.com> writes:

>     Kai> I might be seeing white mice, though.  (Does that idiom
>     Kai> exist in English?  What is the English equivalent?)
>
> It doesn't exist in the English I know.  What does it mean?

"seeing white mice" == "seeing things that don't exist", I think.

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-09 23:05       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-01-09 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I might be seeing white mice, though.  (Does that idiom exist in
> English?  What is the English equivalent?)

American english speakers see pink elephants when we're drunk.  You
were'nt drunk were you...

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-09 23:27           ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-01-09 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:

> >     Kai> I might be seeing white mice, though.  (Does that idiom
> >     Kai> exist in English?  What is the English equivalent?)
> >
> > It doesn't exist in the English I know.  What does it mean?
>
> "seeing white mice" == "seeing things that don't exist", I think.

Yes, that's literally correct; however, "seeing pink elephants" is a
traditional English equivalent that fits more or less along the same
metaphorical lines.  On the other hand, the "pink elephants"
expression also often has the connotation that the person in question
might very well have been drunk, which might not be included in the
meaning of the "seeing white mice" ... ???

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-09 23:42             ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-01-09 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Yes, that's literally correct; however, "seeing pink elephants" is a
> traditional English equivalent that fits more or less along the same
> metaphorical lines.  On the other hand, the "pink elephants"
> expression also often has the connotation that the person in
> question might very well have been drunk, which might not be
> included in the meaning of the "seeing white mice" ... ???

It might not have anything to do with German, but here they say that
alcoholics in the final stages of /delirium tremens/ see white mice as
part of their hallucinations.  So for me "seeing white mice"
definitely has to do with drunkenness.

Croatian has many German influences; this might be one of them.

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-10  3:20               ` Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 2000-01-10  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Hrvoje> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
    >> Yes, that's literally correct; however, "seeing pink elephants" is a
    >> traditional English equivalent that fits more or less along the same
    >> metaphorical lines.  On the other hand, the "pink elephants"
    >> expression also often has the connotation that the person in
    >> question might very well have been drunk, which might not be
    >> included in the meaning of the "seeing white mice" ... ???

    Hrvoje> It might not have anything to do with German, but here
    Hrvoje> they say that alcoholics in the final stages of /delirium
    Hrvoje> tremens/ see white mice as part of their hallucinations.
    Hrvoje> So for me "seeing white mice" definitely has to do with
    Hrvoje> drunkenness.

This seems wierd to me, since I've seen white mice frequently when
cold sober, and certainly nowhere near delirium tremens.  But they're
probably just as genetically engineered as the pink elephants would
be.

--

@ 2000-01-10  8:34   ` Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor]
From: Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] @ 2000-01-10  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ> Michael Sperber <sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

>> I recently switched from Quassia from Pterodactyl (forgive me, oh ye
>> Lords of the state-of-the-art for being so sqeamish and not doing it
>> sooner ...)  Pterodactly is totally cool compared to Quassia (thanks,
>> Lars!), but ... everything seems to take at least twice as long,
>> especially building the headers and displaying articles.  The thing
>> (XEmacs 21.2 Millenium) GC's *every* time it displays an article.  I
>> already have:

>> (setq gnus-treat-display-xface nil
>> gnus-treat-display-smileys nil
>> gnus-treat-emphasize nil
>> gnus-treat-overstrike nil)

Russ> Buttonizing was what was taking forever for me.  Once I turned that off,
Russ> it got positively zippy again.

Turned that off, no noticeable change :-(

--
Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-10  9:53       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-10  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I might be seeing white mice, though.  (Does that idiom exist in
> English?  What is the English equivalent?)

Right.  I wanted to say I was seeing pink elephants.  Actually, I
wasn't aware of the drunkenness implication in German, but I'm sure
that Hrvoje is right.

But OTOH, New Year's Eve has only been a week or so, and I drank a
glass of sparkling wine then shortly after midnight, that's the
closest I ever get to being drunk I guess ;-)

kai

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-10 17:47         ` Karl EICHWALDER
From: Karl EICHWALDER @ 2000-01-10 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

|   Right.  I wanted to say I was seeing pink elephants.  Actually, I
|   wasn't aware of the drunkenness implication in German, but I'm sure
|   that Hrvoje is right.

For my understanding "seeing white mice" in german doesn't imply
drunkenness.  Just for the record.

--
work    : ke@suse.de                          |
        : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |       ------    ,__o

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-11 15:45           ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2000-01-11 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl EICHWALDER <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> |   Right.  I wanted to say I was seeing pink elephants.  Actually, I
> |   wasn't aware of the drunkenness implication in German, but I'm sure
> |   that Hrvoje is right.
>
> For my understanding "seeing white mice" in german doesn't imply
> drunkenness.  Just for the record.

And for my understanding (well it's swiss german here) it does,
at least it can, sometimes, it doesn't always have to, though.

Robert Epprecht

* Re: Pterodactyl is a dog
@ 2000-01-12 11:55             ` Alf-Ivar Holm
From: Alf-Ivar Holm @ 2000-01-12 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > >     Kai> I might be seeing white mice, though.  (Does that idiom
> > >     Kai> exist in English?  What is the English equivalent?)
>
> Yes, that's literally correct; however, "seeing pink elephants" is a
> traditional English equivalent that fits more or less along the same
> metaphorical lines.

And in Norwegian it is "seeing green polar bears", and in Finnish it
is, as you know, just "seeing penguins".  I guess that somebody
somewhere even use the phrase "seeing red gnus" - but then again, that
may imply heavy coffee drinking.

        Affi (got his mug yesterday)