* [Edbrowse-dev] master
@ 2014-01-28 11:20 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-01-28 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Yes I think it would be easier if all this was moved into master,
if Adam then had permission to push into masster, as I do,
if that's ok with you chris, and it's ok with me of course.
A piece of my brain thinks there should be some backward compatibility,
like a flag to makefile to build the old way against 185,
for those who don't have 24 yet,
but then a larger piece of my brain thinks about the linux kernel,
where they really discourage that sort of thing.
Youre just expected to keep up!
Linux has a means of conditional compilation
#if version <= 3.2.7
That kind of thing, but I tell you, you hardly ever see it in the kernel code,
because if you ever started your code would be full of #if versions
maybe all the way back to 2.4, and impossible to read,
so they just tell you generically not to do it.
So I have come to understand the practical point of view of
marching forward, and if you want the latest of this you better get
the latest of that.
Anyways I digress; I think master would be fine,
the only thing we really have to stop nad pause and well test is the threshold
of version 3.4.11.
I think we all have to say yea before we do that.

Karl Dahlke

* [Edbrowse-dev]  master
@ 2014-01-28 17:35 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-01-28 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

There are many enhancements that would be good to make,
but probably not bundled with this one.
Go to 3.5.1 first, then other changes can push the third number again.
These changes are mostly additions to the DOM, objects that I haven't implemented
or even simulated,
and as we all saw, when one of these is missing javascript stops in its tracks.
That's why edbrowse isn't working on more and more sites.
We need to have the same objects and methods,
or stubs for these objects and methods,
as you might find in a browser.
It's just grunt-work, and not very easy or satisfying.
A site doesn't work, set db3, track it down,
what variable is missing, look it up in a js dom tutorial,
what does the variable do, implement it or simulate it.
Then move on to the next broken website, and so on.
All needs to be done, all good stuff,
but rather independent of what we're doing now.

Some of these changes won't happen until the big rewrite,
those where js creates brand new thingies that are normally made by html.
That's backwards in my path today, so we'll just wait on these.

Anyways that's how I see the road ahead.

Karl Dahlke

* [Edbrowse-dev]   master
@ 2014-01-28 21:45 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-01-28 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Another often requested feature is imap,
something I've wanted to do for a while.
Don't know anything about it; I'd have to start with the rfc.
Or maybe there's an imap library that we could use.

> to increase the max limit on the number of lines

Sounds easy, but the line number is actually sprintfed into places with seven spaces,
with other characters around it,
so would take some rewriting to increase it.
I know, kind of a bad design, but 15 years ago who would imagine
wanting to store more than 10 million lines??
I can find the code in buffers.c and point it out,
or think about what it would take to modify.

> same for max line length

You realize that lines are arbitrarily long inside,
else you could not faithfully download a binary file.
The line length is just what is displayed,
and it can be changed by

linelength = 1000

in your config file.

Like Chuck, my distro doesn't seem to have any js packages beyond 185;
where can I get 24, and compiling from source is fine,
in some ways preferable.
Thanks.

Karl Dahlke