* [edbrowse-dev] GCS and never-referenced style props
@ 2019-09-08 23:28 Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2019-09-08 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Sorry, I have an obligatory glitch in that email, I always do that.  When
I wrote...

> The code that raises an error is, and the error is that it's illegal to
> call split on not a valid string.

I intended to include the code at the appropriate spot.  The code
that raises the error is:
var a = window.getComputedStyle(e), s = a[Hr + 'Delay'].split(', ')

And the error itself is TypeError, cannot read property 'split' of
undefined

* Re: [edbrowse-dev] GCS and never-referenced style props
@ 2019-09-09  0:48   ` Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2019-09-09  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

Thanks, 1298 looks like the place.

> Is there any spec on this or are we just winging it?

Well, the Mozilla CSS reference lists the transition properties among
their basic "here are the CSS properties" A-Z list, but we can just
implement a few,

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Reference

@ 2019-09-08 23:50 ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2019-09-08 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

@ 2019-09-08 23:23 Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2019-09-08 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Thanks Karl for mentioning dberr.  This helped with a problem in ontimer
code that was hard to locate.  Thanks to dberr, I got a real line
number and went right to the error.  Now that I know what I'm trying to
work on, I'd like to run a resolution past you.

Here's the situation.  Assume the string Hr = 'transition';

The code that raises an error is, and the error is that it's illegal to
call split on not a valid string.

var a = window.getComputedStyle(e), s = a[Hr + 'Delay'].split(', ')

I'm assuming these two statements are related because the second statement
is called on a, the return value of the first.  So I read this to say that
after gcs is called, the program assumes it can have free reign to
reference transitionDelay and other properties and assume they are
strings.

I checked in Firefox, and an object returned from gcs has about 500
different style properties with the default value "", including:
transition: ""
transitionDelay: ""
transitionDuration: ""
transitionProperty: ""
transitionTimingFunction: ""

Karl, is there a best place to set this up, such as in createElement or
getComputedStyle?  And do you think I should set up hundreds, or just set
up the ones I know are referenced and do more when a program tries to find
them?  The latter would mean that we should bear in mind that this can be
a major reason for runtime errors-- maybe it's better to set up the whole
A-Z slate now.

thanks
Kevin