From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Subject: Re: help with spam.el
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:31:26 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, shaoz@activesky.com wrote:
> 1) according to documentation, all articles in spam group are
>    considered to be spam and they get the $ mark when entering the
>    group. I have set both spam-junk-groups and
>    gnus-spam-newsgroup-contents to nnfolder+archive:spam. But when
>    entering group, all articles are marked with E, is this the right
>    behaviour?

In the spam group, *new* articles will have the spam mark.  You are
transferring spam articles from another group automatically to the
spam group, so they are automatically expired already (since they were
spam-processed in the original group).  Otherwise, they would get
processed as spam twice, which would be a bad thing.

Generally, the spam mark is something an article will only see once
briefly, before it's processed as spam and marked as expired.

> 2) So far, I have to mark every spam message manually. My spam group
>    has already over 300 messages. But I have not got any marked
>    automatically by gnus yet, am I missing another step or config?

I'm not sure what you mean by "automatically."  What do you expect to
happen, and what happens instead?

You had this last time:
 '(gnus-spam-newsgroup-contents (quote (("spam" gnus-group-spam-classification-spam) ("~/Mail/inbox" gnus-group-spam-classification-ham))))
 '(gnus-spam-process-destinations (quote (("nnimap*" "spam"))))
 '(gnus-spam-process-newsgroups (quote (("spam" (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-ifile)) ("nnimap*" (gnus-group-ham-exit-processor-ifile)))))
 '(spam-junk-mailgroups (quote ("spam")))
 '(spam-use-ifile t))

Looking at your settings, you have unqualified group names for almost
all the spam.el parameters - make sure you use ".*spam" if you want
to match all folders that end with "spam", for instance.  Also,
"nnimap*" means "'nnima' followed by 0 or more letters 'p'," which is
almost certainly not what you meant - you want "nnimap.*" I think.

I'm still somewhat cautious about a folder called "~/Mail/inbox" by
the way.  Are you sure that's correct?

If you have trouble setting the regular expressions you need, you can
try using `G c' on a topic (if you use topics and have all your
related groups under the same topic), or `G c' on a particular group
in order to experiment with particular settings for spam/ham exit
processors and contents classification.

Thanks
Ted