* nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-18  6:14 JibStyle
From: JibStyle @ 2022-05-18  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi, I am new Gnuser coming from Gmail web interface. I have mostly
configured my nnimap server for gmail and I see it has great power!

Unfortunately, I am unable to get "A T" and "^" to work in the nnimap
summary buffer. I would like to reconstruct threads, and some articles
may be in another group. Even if they are in same group, "A T" only gets
parents but not siblings or children. I have spent days trying the
various configurations cited in `(gnus) Finding the Parent' info page to
no avail.

Does anyone have any tips? What is your configuration for nnimap gmail
threading?

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-18  7:37 ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2022-05-18  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hellow Jib,

JibStyle <jibstyle209@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I am new Gnuser coming from Gmail web interface. I have mostly
> configured my nnimap server for gmail and I see it has great power!
>
> Unfortunately, I am unable to get "A T" and "^" to work in the nnimap
> summary buffer. I would like to reconstruct threads, and some articles
> may be in another group. Even if they are in same group, "A T" only gets
> parents but not siblings or children. I have spent days trying the
> various configurations cited in `(gnus) Finding the Parent' info page to
> no avail.

I don't know "A T". By the way sometimes i use "^". However i use "^" at
Group buffer. Then it show me server list.

> Does anyone have any tips? What is your configuration for nnimap gmail
> threading?

Gmane is the best threading, i think. Or you just make Gmail's label by
mailing list. Another thought.

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _布德天下_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-18 16:38 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-05-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

JibStyle <jibstyle209@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I am new Gnuser coming from Gmail web interface. I have mostly
> configured my nnimap server for gmail and I see it has great power!
>
> Unfortunately, I am unable to get "A T" and "^" to work in the nnimap
> summary buffer. I would like to reconstruct threads, and some articles
> may be in another group. Even if they are in same group, "A T" only gets
> parents but not siblings or children. I have spent days trying the
> various configurations cited in `(gnus) Finding the Parent' info page to
> no avail.
>
> Does anyone have any tips? What is your configuration for nnimap gmail
> threading?

Hey there! Thanks for the report. It looks like Gmails' IMAP weirdness
might be weird enough to break the thread-searching code in Gnus. I
think it's definitely worth special-casing code for Gmail; give me a few
days and I'll see what I can figure out.

Eric

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-18 19:49   ` JibStyle
From: JibStyle @ 2022-05-18 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Byung-Hee HWANG <soyeomul@doraji.xyz> writes:

> I don't know "A T". By the way sometimes i use "^". However i use "^" at
> Group buffer. Then it show me server list.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was actually referring to commands
`gnus-summary-refer-thread' and `gnus-summary-refer-parent-article' in
the Gnus summary buffer (default keybindings "A T" and "^",
repectively). I think they are for gathering thread messages that may be
older than the range displayed by the summary buffer, or from another
group.

> Gmane is the best threading, i think. Or you just make Gmail's label by
> mailing list. Another thought.

I agree Gmane threading works well. For that, I am using the nntp Gnus
backend. However, my problem is with personal email fetched from Gmail
via the nnimap Gnus backend.

Thank you for your help.

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-18 20:15   ` JibStyle
From: JibStyle @ 2022-05-18 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Hey there! Thanks for the report. It looks like Gmails' IMAP weirdness
> might be weird enough to break the thread-searching code in Gnus. I
> think it's definitely worth special-casing code for Gmail; give me a few
> days and I'll see what I can figure out.

Thank you for investigating. Are you able to reproduce the issue? I am
unsure if there is a problem with Gnus <--> Gmail, or if I am doing
something wrong. That is why I ask how other users approach nnimap gmail
threading.

My `gnus-secondary-select-methods' (primary method is nnnil):
((nnimap "imap.gmail.com"
         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
         (nnimap-server-port 993)
         (nnimap-stream ssl)
         (nnimap-split-methods default)
         (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
         (nnimap-expunge immediately)
         (nnmail-expiry-wait immediate))
 (nntp "news.gmane.io"))

Please let me know if any additional information is useful, or any
suggested workarounds. Thank you!

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-18 20:45     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-05-18 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

JibStyle <jibstyle209@gmail.com> writes:

>> Hey there! Thanks for the report. It looks like Gmails' IMAP weirdness
>> might be weird enough to break the thread-searching code in Gnus. I
>> think it's definitely worth special-casing code for Gmail; give me a few
>> days and I'll see what I can figure out.
>
> Thank you for investigating. Are you able to reproduce the issue? I am
> unsure if there is a problem with Gnus <--> Gmail, or if I am doing
> something wrong. That is why I ask how other users approach nnimap gmail
> threading.
>
> My `gnus-secondary-select-methods' (primary method is nnnil):
>
> ((nnimap "imap.gmail.com"
>          (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>          (nnimap-server-port 993)
>          (nnimap-stream ssl)
>          (nnimap-split-methods default)
>          (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>          (nnimap-expunge immediately)
>          (nnmail-expiry-wait immediate))
>  (nntp "news.gmane.io"))
>
> Please let me know if any additional information is useful, or any
> suggested workarounds. Thank you!

I technically have a gmail account, but can't access it from Gnus, so I
probably won't be able to reproduce. But it's a good idea to adapt some
code specifically for Gmail anyway, so I hope to be able to provide some
code to test on the list here in the next week or so.

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-18 21:54     ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2022-05-18 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> Gmane is the best threading, i think. Or you just make Gmail's label by
>> mailing list. Another thought.
>
> I agree Gmane threading works well. For that, I am using the nntp Gnus
> backend. However, my problem is with personal email fetched from Gmail
> via the nnimap Gnus backend.

This is my gmail screenshot -- summary buffer:
<https://gitlab.com/soyeomul/Gnus/-/commit/5eafebfb8bc8b2ffe739fb84f69f3261257add7f>

Still i didn't make Gmail's label for info-gnus-english@gnu.org, also

Still sorry for my unclear comments...

> Thank you for your help.

Thanks!

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _白衣從軍_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-19  0:00       ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2022-05-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi All:

gmail's imap implementation is non-standard and the standard
thread-referral search doesn't seem to work properly (I never noticed
this before since most of email activity is not in gmail). Although it
will take a little time I don't think it will be very hard to get it
working. As Eric said, we can special-case gmail in gnus-search and just
have to understand the details of how gmail searching works (I think I
have already worked this out but have to do some more testing).

So to the original poster jibstyle209: it's not you (and it's not gnus) it's
gmail. But we should be able to work around it.

--
Andrew Cohen
Director, HKUST Jockey Club Institute for Advanced Study

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-19  2:41         ` JibStyle
From: JibStyle @ 2022-05-19  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk> writes:

> gmail's imap implementation is non-standard and the standard
> thread-referral search doesn't seem to work properly (I never noticed
> this before since most of email activity is not in gmail). Although it
> will take a little time I don't think it will be very hard to get it
> working. As Eric said, we can special-case gmail in gnus-search and just
> have to understand the details of how gmail searching works (I think I
> have already worked this out but have to do some more testing).

Yes, "thread referral search" sounds like my problem. Sounds great,
thanks.

> So to the original poster jibstyle209: it's not you (and it's not gnus) it's
> gmail. But we should be able to work around it.

Thanks for clarifying :) I am glad I did not shoot myself in the foot,
as the manual specified is possible.

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-19  5:45           ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2022-05-19  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    J> Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk> writes:
    >> gmail's imap implementation is non-standard and the standard
    >> thread-referral search doesn't seem to work properly (I never
    >> noticed this before since most of email activity is not in
    >> gmail).

[...]

    J> Thanks for clarifying :) I am glad I did not shoot myself in the
    J> foot, as the manual specified is possible.

I tried poking around a bit more and maybe I was too hasty in blaming
gmail :)

For me, the failure of "A T" is arising because the 'references header
in the emails within a thread are not right. In particular, this header
is supposed to include most of the message-ids in the thread that the
message is aware of (e.g. if its the 4th message in a chain of replies
this header should contain the message-ids of all the prior messages; if
this list of prior messages is extremely long the spec allows dropping
part of it). But for the cases where "A T" fails this header contains
only a /single/ message-id, that of the immediate prior email. This
prevents the full thread from being found.

The most likely explanation is that the mailer used by the sender is not
adding the full references header. I assumed it was gmail that was
responsible, but a closer look at the messages on which "A T" fails
shows that they were all sent by the iphone mailer. So while I haven't
done any exhaustive testing, this is my current culprit.  But I am
curious if others are seeing the same thing.

So  jibstyle maybe you can help with some testing? First, for the
purposes of the test can you
1. Set 'gnus-refer-thread-use-search to 'nil,
2. Enter the "[Gmail]/All Mail" group and find an article late in the
thread on which you know thread referral fails to find the full thread.
Examine the headers of this article (by typing C-g when point is on the
article in the summary buffer) and see what is in the  References
header? And what mailer was used to send the message?

For example when I do this I find the headers contain

which shows that the References header only contains the immediately
prior email's message-id but not that of any of the other messages.

Best,
Andy
--
Andrew Cohen

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-19 23:19             ` JibStyle
From: JibStyle @ 2022-05-19 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk> writes:

> For me, the failure of "A T" is arising because the 'references header
> in the emails within a thread are not right. In particular, this header
> is supposed to include most of the message-ids in the thread that the
> message is aware of (e.g. if its the 4th message in a chain of replies
> this header should contain the message-ids of all the prior messages; if
> this list of prior messages is extremely long the spec allows dropping
> part of it). But for the cases where "A T" fails this header contains
> only a /single/ message-id, that of the immediate prior email. This
> prevents the full thread from being found.

Yes, I observed this issue as well. As a workaround, pressing "A T"
multiple times works to walk back up the chain, although there is a
network delay. For articles where "References" header includes all

> The most likely explanation is that the mailer used by the sender is not
> adding the full references header. I assumed it was gmail that was
> responsible, but a closer look at the messages on which "A T" fails
> shows that they were all sent by the iphone mailer. So while I haven't
> done any exhaustive testing, this is my current culprit.  But I am
> curious if others are seeing the same thing.

This sounds plausible to me. I did observe that emails sent by the
iPhone Mail application exhibit the headers you detailed below. However,
I am not familiar with the rules of email protocol and what is
considered "acceptable".

> So  jibstyle maybe you can help with some testing? First, for the
> purposes of the test can you
> 1. Set 'gnus-refer-thread-use-search to 'nil,
> 2. Enter the "[Gmail]/All Mail" group and find an article late in the
> thread on which you know thread referral fails to find the full thread.
> Examine the headers of this article (by typing C-g when point is on the
> article in the summary buffer) and see what is in the  References
> header? And what mailer was used to send the message?
>
> For example when I do this I find the headers contain

> which shows that the References header only contains the immediately
> prior email's message-id but not that of any of the other messages.

Thanks for helping out here. I'm novice in email protocol. My
`gnus-refer-thread-use-search' is nil. Yes, I can reproduce the iPhone
specific issue you described above (see Issue1 below). In fact, I am
also experiencing two additional issues (Issue2 and Issue3 below), for
which I do not believe iPhone is culprit (can repro using only Gnus). To
reproduce all these issues, I sent and replied to emails to myself to
produce the necessary thread structures.

Summary of my three separate nnimap+gmail "A T" issues:

- Issue1: Grandparent not found when only one "References" entry.
- Issue2: Parent from different group not found.
- Issue3: Siblings and descendants not found.

Reproduction steps, Issue1:

- FirstArticle
  - SecondArticle
    - ThirdArticle

- Use iPhone Mail app with Gmail IMAP backend to produce above message
  thread. As Andrew suspected, ThirdArticle only includes its immediate
  parent (SecondArticle) in "References" header.
- Read FirstArticle and SecondArticle.
- In Gnus, go to "[Gmail]/All Mail" summary buffer. You should only see
  ThirdArticle. Now press "A T".
- EXPECTED: SecondArticle and FirstArticle should appear.
- ACTUAL: SecondArticle appears, but not FirstArticle.

Reproduction steps, Issue2:

- ParentArticle
  - ChildArticle

- Use `gnus-summary-post-news' and `gnus-summary-followup' to produce
  above message thread.
- Copy ChildArticle to some IMAP folder e.g. "mail.testing".
- In Gnus, go to "mail.testing" summary buffer. You should only see
  ChildArticle. Now press "A T". Also try "C-u A T" (to reverse
  `gnus-refer-thread-use-search').
- EXPECTED: ParentArticle should appear.
- ACTUAL: ParentArticle does not appear.

Reproduction steps, Issue3:

- RootArticle
  - ChildA
    - GrandchildA
  - ChildB
    - GrandchildB

- Use `gnus-summary-post-news' and `gnus-summary-followup' to produce
  above message tree with two branches.
- Read all articles except ChildA.
- In Gnus, go to "[Gmail]/All Mail" summary buffer. You should only see
  ChildA. Now press "A T".
- EXPECTED: RootArticle, GrandchildA, ChildB, and GrandchildB should
  appear.
- RESULT: RootArticle appears. GrandchildA does not appear. ChildB and
  GrandchildB do not appear.

Please let me know your thoughts on these issues, or any followup
questions. In the meantime, I can find workarounds. Thank you!

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-20  0:06               ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2022-05-20  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    J> Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk> writes:

[...]

    >> So jibstyle maybe you can help with some testing? First, for the
    >> purposes of the test can you 1. Set 'gnus-refer-thread-use-search
    >> to 'nil, 2. Enter the "[Gmail]/All Mail" group and find an
    >> article late in the thread on which you know thread referral
    >> fails to find the full thread.  Examine the headers of this
    >> article (by typing C-g when point is on the article in the
    >> summary buffer) and see what is in the References header? And
    >> what mailer was used to send the message?
    >>
    >> For example when I do this I find the headers contain

    >> which shows that the References header only contains the
    >> immediately prior email's message-id but not that of any of the
    >> other messages.

    J> Thanks for helping out here. I'm novice in email protocol. My
    J> `gnus-refer-thread-use-search' is nil. Yes, I can reproduce the
    J> iPhone specific issue you described above (see Issue1 below). In
    J> fact, I am also experiencing two additional issues (Issue2 and
    J> Issue3 below), for which I do not believe iPhone is culprit (can
    J> repro using only Gnus). To reproduce all these issues, I sent and
    J> replied to emails to myself to produce the necessary thread
    J> structures.

    J> Summary of my three separate nnimap+gmail "A T" issues:

    J> - Issue1: Grandparent not found when only one "References" entry.

There is little we can do about this---if the references header doesn't
contain the right information we can't know what messages to fetch
(while we could "walk" up the tree this isn't practical, since we would
have to construct a separate search and a new network connection for
each step). And not adding the references is broken behavior and should
be fixed by the mailer.

    J> - Issue2: Parent from different group not found.

This is the intended behavior. If you want messages from different
groups to be found you need to set 'gnus-refer-thread-use-search to 't.

    J> - Issue3: Siblings and descendants not found.

[...]

    J> Reproduction steps, Issue3:

    J> - RootArticle - ChildA - GrandchildA - ChildB - GrandchildB

    J> - Use `gnus-summary-post-news' and `gnus-summary-followup' to
    J> produce above message tree with two branches.  - Read all
    J> articles except ChildA.  - In Gnus, go to "[Gmail]/All Mail"
    J> summary buffer. You should only see ChildA. Now press "A T".  -
    J> EXPECTED: RootArticle, GrandchildA, ChildB, and GrandchildB
    J> should appear.  - RESULT: RootArticle appears. GrandchildA does
    J> not appear. ChildB and GrandchildB do not appear.

This doesn't happen for me. As far as I can tell "A T" search is working
correctly in gmail when the references header is correct. The gnus
strategy is simple: when you type "A T" on a message the message-id of
that message and ALL message-ids in the references header are used as
search keys. The search asks for all messages whose references header
contains any one of those keys. For mailers that adhere to the standard
this will find all articles in the thread, future and past.

To diagnose further you will need to do what I asked you earlier: find
the references header, the in-reply header, and the original message-id
header for the initiating article and for the article that wasn't found.

Best,
Andy
--
Andrew Cohen

* Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
@ 2022-05-20 22:01                 ` JibStyle
From: JibStyle @ 2022-05-20 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>     J> - Issue1: Grandparent not found when only one "References" entry.
>
> There is little we can do about this---if the references header doesn't
> contain the right information we can't know what messages to fetch
> (while we could "walk" up the tree this isn't practical, since we would
> have to construct a separate search and a new network connection for
> each step). And not adding the references is broken behavior and should
> be fixed by the mailer.

Fair enough. In this case, I can walk up the tree manually.

>     J> - Issue2: Parent from different group not found.
>
> This is the intended behavior. If you want messages from different
> groups to be found you need to set 'gnus-refer-thread-use-search to 't.

I set 'gnus-refer-thread-use-search to 't but still encounter the issue.

ParentArticle (this is the article not found)

ChildArticle (this is where I initiate search from)

>     J> - Issue3: Siblings and descendants not found.
>
> This doesn't happen for me. As far as I can tell "A T" search is working
> correctly in gmail when the references header is correct. The gnus
> strategy is simple: when you type "A T" on a message the message-id of
> that message and ALL message-ids in the references header are used as
> search keys. The search asks for all messages whose references header
> contains any one of those keys. For mailers that adhere to the standard
> this will find all articles in the thread, future and past.

See my below email header data. For this test, I initiated search from
the "[Gmail]/All Mail", in which all the emails exist. These results are
with 'gnus-refer-thread-use-search nil -- alarmingly, when the variable
is t, "A T" does not find any articles at all.

RootArticle (successfully found)

ChildA (this is where I initiate search from)

GrandchildA (not found)

ChildB (not found)

GrandchildB (not found)

> To diagnose further you will need to do what I asked you earlier: find
> the references header, the in-reply header, and the original message-id
> header for the initiating article and for the article that wasn't found.

Thanks for your help. It sounds like I'm the only one experiencing these
issues, and I wonder if I may have incorrectly configured
something. Please let me know if any suggestions come to mind, and I'll
continue referencing the manual, emacswiki, and experimenting. Best
regards.