* is nnimap broken? Is gnus 5.11 broken?
@ 2008-07-29 12:46 Ed
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ed @ 2008-07-29 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Howdy all!

I can't get gnus 5.11 working with nnimap. So I thought I had better
check: does anyone use this? Has anyone gotten it to work?

Is there a later version of gnus for which this works?

Gnus is logging into my server OK, and I can get my mail via the
server buffer, but there are no mail groups I can subscribe to.

Here's my .gnus:

(setq imap-ssl-program "/usr/bin/openssl s_client -ssl3 -CAfile /home/
ed/ssl/ed.crt -key /home/ed/.ssh/id_dsa -connect %s:993")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mail"
;                                 (nnimap-authinfo-file
"~/.authinfo")
                                  (nnimap-address "mail")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                  (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl)
))

Meanwhile my sysadmin at work is telling me to switch away from gnus
to something else which will work...

Help!

Ed

* Re: is nnimap broken? Is gnus 5.11 broken?
@ 2008-07-29 13:56 ` David
       [not found] ` <mailman.15549.1217339826.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: David @ 2008-07-29 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ed <edwardjameshartnett@gmail.com> writes:
>                                   (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))

Please see the documentation to nnimap-list-pattern. The above line will
drop everything except your INBOX. What you have to enter there depends
on the IMAP server; your administrator should be able to help you
there. Also, you can remove the above line for now and see what is
exported by the IMAP server. If the server exports the full home
directory, you can limit access to the necessary mail folders through
this variable.

-David

* Re: is nnimap broken? Is gnus 5.11 broken?
@ 2008-07-29 14:45 ` Dmitry Dzhus
       [not found] ` <mailman.15549.1217339826.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Dmitry Dzhus @ 2008-07-29 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ed writes:

> Howdy all!
>
> I can't get gnus 5.11 working with nnimap. So I thought I had better
> check: does anyone use this? Has anyone gotten it to work?
>
> Is there a later version of gnus for which this works?
>
> Gnus is logging into my server OK, and I can get my mail via the
> server buffer, but there are no mail groups I can subscribe to.
>
> Here's my .gnus:
>
> (setq imap-ssl-program "/usr/bin/openssl s_client -ssl3 -CAfile /home/
> ed/ssl/ed.crt -key /home/ed/.ssh/id_dsa -connect %s:993")
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mail"
> ;                                 (nnimap-authinfo-file
> "~/.authinfo")
>                                   (nnimap-address "mail")
>                                   (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                                   (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))
>                                   (nnimap-stream ssl)
> ))

Here is the only variable related to nnimap my custom has:

    (gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "mail.sphinx.net.ru"
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo"))))

This setup has been working fine since Gnus 5.11 (now using 5.13).
Subscribing with `u/U` does the expected trick.
--
Happy Hacking.

http://sphinx.net.ru^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

@ 2008-07-30  1:09   ` Ed
       [not found]     ` <mailman.15585.1217409637.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ed @ 2008-07-30  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Jul 29, 7:56 am, David <de...@arcor.de> wrote:
> Ed <edwardjameshartn...@gmail.com> writes:
> >                                   (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))
>
> Please see the documentation to nnimap-list-pattern. The above line will
> drop everything except your INBOX. What you have to enter there depends

OK, but I would be happy to see at least my inbox as a mail group,
instead of nothing.

> on the IMAP server; your administrator should be able to help you
> there. Also, you can remove the above line for now and see what is
> exported by the IMAP server. If the server exports the full home
> directory, you can limit access to the necessary mail folders through
> this variable.

Nope, this causes things to hang when it attempts to read from the
imap server.

@ 2008-07-30  2:30   ` Ed
From: Ed @ 2008-07-30  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Jul 29, 7:56 am, David <de...@arcor.de> wrote:
> Ed <edwardjameshartn...@gmail.com> writes:
> >                                   (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))
>
> Please see the documentation to nnimap-list-pattern. The above line will
> drop everything except your INBOX. What you have to enter there depends
> on the IMAP server; your administrator should be able to help you
> there. Also, you can remove the above line for now and see what is
> exported by the IMAP server. If the server exports the full home
> directory, you can limit access to the necessary mail folders through
> this variable.
>
> -David

...and yet in all this messing about, there have been a couple of
times where there was another group, an nnimap.inbox group, which
seemed like what I wanted. But after subscribing to it, and then
quiting gnus, it is gone, never to be heard from again.

I cannot figure out how I sometimes got this group to appear. I can't
reproduce it. Normally no groups are present.

Thanks,

@ 2008-07-30  9:20     ` David
       [not found]     ` <mailman.15585.1217409637.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: David @ 2008-07-30  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Well, you said in your original posting:

>Gnus is logging into my server OK, and I can get my mail via the
>server buffer, but there are no mail groups I can subscribe to.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean with "I can get my mail via
the server buffer" if you do not see any groups there.

>> on the IMAP server; your administrator should be able to help you
>> there. Also, you can remove the above line for now and see what is
>> exported by the IMAP server. If the server exports the full home
>> directory, you can limit access to the necessary mail folders through
>> this variable.
>

> Nope, this causes things to hang when it attempts to read from the
> imap server.

Maybe the IMAP server indeed exports your full home directory. This can
take a while, depending on number of files in there.

You can put

(setq imap-log t)

into your .gnus to enable IMAP logging in a buffer named "*imap
log*". You should be able to see there what's going on when you omit the
nnimap-list-pattern variable (just hit C-g after a while and switch to
"*imap log*").

If your mailboxes are stored in your home directory (this depends on the
IMAP server), you have to tell Gnus through nnimap-list-pattern where
these mailboxes are. Usually, this is a subdirectory like "~/Mail/*" or
something similar. But again, this all depends on the IMAP server.

-David

@ 2008-07-30 10:09       ` Ed
From: Ed @ 2008-07-30 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Jul 30, 3:20 am, David <de...@arcor.de> wrote:
> Ed <edwardjameshartn...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Please see the documentation to nnimap-list-pattern. The above line will
> >> drop everything except your INBOX. What you have to enter there depends
>
> > OK, but I would be happy to see at least my inbox as a mail group,
> > instead of nothing.
>
> Well, you said in your original posting:
>
> >Gnus is logging into my server OK, and I can get my mail via the
> >server buffer, but there are no mail groups I can subscribe to.
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean with "I can get my mail via
> the server buffer" if you do not see any groups there.

In the server buffer I do not see groups, I see the following two
servers:

     {nnfolder:archive} (closed)
     {nnimap:mail} (opened) (agent)

When I go to the second line, and hit SPC, I see:
K    618: INBOX
K      0: Mail/archive
K      0: Mail/drafts

When I go to the first line and hit SPC I can see the mail messages in
my inbox.

Then, if I go back to the groups buffer, it allows me to subscribe to
nnimap+main:INBOX

       0: nndraft:queue
       0: nndraft:drafts
     618: nnimap+mail:INBOX

So that seems good. But the next time I open GNUS this group is not
there, and I have to go back to the server buffer and read the email
through that.

So how do I get this INBOX group to stick around?

> Maybe the IMAP server indeed exports your full home directory. This can
> take a while, depending on number of files in there.
>
> You can put
>
> (setq imap-log t)
>
> into your .gnus to enable IMAP logging in a buffer named "*imap
> log*". You should be able to see there what's going on when you omit the
> nnimap-list-pattern variable (just hit C-g after a while and switch to
> "*imap log*").
>
> If your mailboxes are stored in your home directory (this depends on the
> IMAP server), you have to tell Gnus through nnimap-list-pattern where
> these mailboxes are. Usually, this is a subdirectory like "~/Mail/*" or
> something similar. But again, this all depends on the IMAP server.
>
> -David

I will discuss with my sysadmin and see what he has to say about what
the IMAP server exposes...

@ 2008-07-30 11:01         ` David
From: David @ 2008-07-30 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ed <edwardjameshartnett@gmail.com> writes:
> Then, if I go back to the groups buffer, it allows me to subscribe to
> nnimap+main:INBOX
>
>        0: nndraft:queue
>        0: nndraft:drafts
>      618: nnimap+mail:INBOX

You subscribe the group by hitting 'u', I suppose?

> So that seems good. But the next time I open GNUS this group is not
> there, and I have to go back to the server buffer and read the email
> through that.
>
> So how do I get this INBOX group to stick around?

Gnus will by default only show you groups with unread messages in
them. Try hitting 'L' (gnus-group-list-all-groups) in the group
buffer. You can make groups permanently visible in various ways. The
easiest is to hit 'G c' (gnus-group-customize) over the group and select
"Permanently visible".

-David

* Re: is nnimap broken? Is gnus 5.11 broken?
@ 2008-07-30 14:10         ` Barutan Seijin
From: Barutan Seijin @ 2008-07-30 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 30 Jul 2008, Ed wrote:

> When I go to the second line, and hit SPC, I see:
> K    618: INBOX
> K      0: Mail/archive
> K      0: Mail/drafts

> When I go to the first line and hit SPC I can see the mail messages in
> my inbox.

> Then, if I go back to the groups buffer, it allows me to subscribe to
> nnimap+main:INBOX

>        0: nndraft:queue
>       0: nndraft:drafts
>     618: nnimap+mail:INBOX

> So that seems good. But the next time I open GNUS this group is not
> there, and I have to go back to the server buffer and read the email
> through that.

> So how do I get this INBOX group to stick around?

Are you sure there is new mail for you to see?

You can screw up your .newsrc* files if you're playing with your .gnus
and changing servers.  Not that it's bad to play with it in your
case -- on the contrary, you need to to get your gnus set up properly.

I've had a similar problem (but not with imap) with my local
newserver.  I'd subscribe to groups, and i could read them when i
first subscribed, but not with a new instance of gnus.  I could touch
.newsrc and see all the articles, but otherwise, i could never read
certain groups.  What worked for me was to create a new user and read
news from the new account.  Not a very elegant solution, but it has
worked so far.

--
barutanseijin@gmail.com