discuss@mandoc.bsd.lv
* FreeBSD + mandoc (GSoC)
@ 2010-05-27 12:54 Ben Fiedler
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ben Fiedler @ 2010-05-27 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi all,

I'm working on moving mandoc ports to FreeBSD base. Ulrich has informed me
of related work he's already started; I just wanted to get this list
notified as well.

Original posting to freebsd-hackers (and several responses) here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-May/031892.htmll

-Ben

* Re: FreeBSD + mandoc (GSoC)
@ 2010-05-27 13:08 ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2010-05-27 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hi Ben,

> I'm working on moving mandoc ports to FreeBSD base. Ulrich has informed
> me of related work he's already started; I just wanted to get this list
> notified as well.

Once again, welcome to the crowd!  :-)
  Ingo

* Re: FreeBSD + mandoc (GSoC)
@ 2010-05-27 13:13 ` Ulrich Spörlein
From: Ulrich Spörlein @ 2010-05-27 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Fiedler; +Cc: discuss

On Thu, 27.05.2010 at 05:54:39 -0700, Ben Fiedler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on moving mandoc ports to FreeBSD base. Ulrich has informed me
> of related work he's already started; I just wanted to get this list
> notified as well.
>
> Original posting to freebsd-hackers (and several responses) here:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-May/031892.htmll
>
> -Ben

Hi Ben, welcome to the mdocml crowd!

Kristaps and gang are aware of my effort of bringing mandoc into FreeBSD
base. You can checkout what has already been done by cloning my
repository:
    https://www.spoerlein.net/cgit/cgit.cgi/freebsd.work/?h=mdocml
See clone URLs at the bottom.

Be aware, that I will rebase the mdocml *often*, so you probably don't
want to base work on the mdocml branch itself.

Codewise, there is not that much left to do for the *integration*. We
should look at a man(1)/apropos/whatis replacement and figure out a way
to fallback on groff for broken manpages. Then again, I wanted to wait
till mdocml is more mature and has grown tbl/pic support.

A groff port needs to be done, and we should seriously evaluate the
plan9 troff alternative.

@OpenBSD and NetBSD folks: How good is mandoc at rendering ports/pkgsrc
manpages, ie., how crappy is the markup of pages "out there"?

Cheers,
Uli

* Re: FreeBSD + mandoc (GSoC)
@ 2010-05-28 14:06 ` Kristaps Dzonsons
From: Kristaps Dzonsons @ 2010-05-28 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

> I'm working on moving mandoc ports to FreeBSD base. Ulrich has informed
> me of related work he's already started; I just wanted to get this list
> notified as well.
>
> Original posting to freebsd-hackers (and several responses) here:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-May/031892.htmll

Ben,

Welcome!

When the next release hits (Real Soon Now), the web-site will be updated
with the new mailing lists, which I suggest you subscribe to.

The responses in that thread seem like the same tired arguments, but if
FreeBSD has a lot of roff stuff lying around, and speed, documentation,
regularity, etc. aren't really regarded, then that's how it goes.

Unless they want to play with GPLv3, which is groff's new license,
they're going to have to use either plan9 or heirloom.  I know heirloom
hasn't updated their -mdoc package since 4.4BSD.  As for the former:

http://swtch.com/usr/local/plan9/tmac/

Note no "tmac.doc".  That's going to be fun!

Take care,

Kristaps