tech@mandoc.bsd.lv
* MR macro (from GNU groff)
@ 2023-10-18 20:09 Alejandro Colomar
From: Alejandro Colomar @ 2023-10-18 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Schwarze; +Cc: mandoc

Hi Ingo,

I've asked you in other lists, but got no answer, so let's do it in the
right list.  :)

As you know, I have plans to start using MR from GNU groff.  But doing
so without wide support from distros and formatters would be stupid.

Regarding distros, I'm waiting until some distros such as Gentoo declare
the 1.23.0 package as 'stable' (currently it shows as testing[1]).

Regarding formatters, groff(1) of course provides support, but the other
one that interests Linux distros is mandoc(1), to have support for void
and other distros.

Do you have plans to add support for the MR macro?

Thanks,
Alex

[1]  <https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-apps/groff>

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: MR macro (from GNU groff)
@ 2023-10-18 21:31 ` Ingo Schwarze
From: Ingo Schwarze @ 2023-10-18 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alejandro Colomar; +Cc: tech

Hi Alejandro,

Alejandro Colomar wrote on Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 10:09:56PM +0200:

> As you know, I have plans to start using MR from GNU groff.  But doing
> so without wide support from distros and formatters would be stupid.
[...]
> Do you have plans to add support for the MR macro?

Yes, it will be added.  It shouldn't bee too difficult because it's
essentially a clone of mdoc(7) .Xr.  Also, it is somewhat urgent
because the groff manual pages already use it, so i have to
support it in mandoc(1) before i can update the OpenBSD groff port
to 1.23.

The MF string register will be ignored, though.  mandoc(1) will
always set the topic (or to use a more precise term, the *name*)
of the manual page linked to in the R font.

Yours,
  Ingo

* Re: MR macro (from GNU groff)
@ 2023-10-18 21:54   ` Alejandro Colomar